Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
gypsmjim, I'm a old codger also, retired, and have the time to shop around. I just try to get the best bang for my buck when I can.

As I mentioned with my extended warranty search, everything was equal except the cost. Saving $2,200 was worth the time and effort. A fixed income changes the game.

I meant no disrespect about your opinion on cost's and time. Don't get me started on car & RV salesmen. The good & knowledgeable are far and few. Most will say anything to make a sale and the customer is the one who suffers.

2 minutes with some of the ones I've had gives me enough time to know they are in the wrong business completely. If they told me it was noon, Id check my watch anyway.

I've walked away from car dealers because of how I was treated and went elsewhere.

The best tools for anyone are time, research and patience. Wireman
Oh I agree with almost everything you've said. I have been a "researcher" from wayback. When I go into a dealer I know what the "true market value" is and I don't settle for less. It helps to throw down a couple of crisp $100 dills to show them you are serious.

I bought my first new car at age 20 when I was a senior at the University and I had the cash in hand. I admit that Dad advised me beforehand, but I dealed all by myself and got the respect anyone should have gotten. (I worked full time in addition to full time college and accumulated no debts, so I had a lot of pi$$ and vinigor in those days)

My opinions on extended service is another matter. Only if they are free.....LOL. There are "implied warranties" and that's what I take to the bank. I have had autos fail and they were covered even though out of warranty....with the right communication. I speak from GM experience only...
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #42

Good thread here.

As also one who also does research beforehand , one of my pet peeves is going to make a major purchase that I have researched and being lied to by the salesman. The worst ones in the RV industry are the ones that tell you your F150 can pull a 11,500 foot trailer with no problem when I know better.

Cannot tolerate being lied to and yes, I will go 70 miles to avoid that salesman and dealership. My time is valuable but so is my safety!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Good thread here.

As also one who also does research beforehand , one of my pet peeves is going to make a major purchase that I have researched and being lied to by the salesman. The worst ones in the RV industry are the ones that tell you your F150 can pull a 11,500 foot trailer with no problem when I know better.

Cannot tolerate being lied to and yes, I will go 70 miles to avoid that salesman and dealership. My time is valuable but so is my safety!

Murff

X2. And nobody is paying $3k more for a trailer just because they want to support the local guy instead of driving a couple of hours. It's easy to say that when your not really putting money up and just talking...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #44

gypsmjim, I know extended warranties are a crap shoot. I tend to load up my cars with all the options. A lot of tech stuff that will be pricing if it fails. I think drivetrains are pretty reliable these days but it's all this other stuff that I want covered.

8 year, 120,000 mile bumper to bumper factory warranty on my diesel Jeep gives me piece of mind. $2000 for 8 years equals about $20/month, I'm fine with that.

I had a extended warranty on my class A that saved me $6000 when the engine burned a piston, ruined the block. All the labor and parts was close to $9000 to replace the motor.

So as Clint Eastwood says, how lucky do you feel.

Still counting the days till delivery of my 23RLSW. Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
My opinions on extended service is another matter. Only if they are free.....LOL. There are "implied warranties" and that's what I take to the bank. I have had autos fail and they were covered even though out of warranty....with the right communication. I speak from GM experience only...
Back before GM became a government company, I bought a new '80 Olds with that gasoline cum diesel POC engine. It failed shortly after the warranty period expired. Olds replaced it for $350, which I suspect was simply a little graft by the dealership, but very acceptable. A friend with a Buick had hers fail at almost the same circumstance and was told tough noogies. When she cited my experience she was told that historically, Oldsmobile tended to try new things and was more accustomed to dealing with problems of their own making. I have no idea if that is true, but interesting, still.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
X2. And nobody is paying $3k more for a trailer just because they want to support the local guy instead of driving a couple of hours. It's easy to say that when your not really putting money up and just talking...
Yesterday I spent $1k more on some living room furniture from the "local guy" vs the same exact pieces 150 miles away. It represented about a 20% premium, but I wanted to support the local guy and I didn't want to drive to retrieve to pieces.

In this case the local shop supports the local community. It's these local businesses that sponsor little league, soccer, sober graduation, our all volunteer fire department etc. I appreciate these guys and on some purchases will pay higher prices to support them.

So there are many of us who will pay more on occasion to support local businesses when it makes sence. It doesn't always, I still buy a lot online and sometimes travel for a deal -- but not 100% of the time.

However, if the local shop upsets me I will go to great lengths to not support them too.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #47

clubhouse, 10-4 on your local support. I try to keep my money local when possible.

I also shop online a lot. Saved a lot of $ doing it. Been burned a few time not having a hands on idea of the product.

I'll consider each situation and either buy local or elsewhere.

Case in point, my extended warranties. 1 dealer said yes, the other no. It didn't matter where I bought them as they are factory warranties and covered by any Ford or Chrysler dealer.

Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Yesterday I spent $1k more on some living room furniture from the "local guy" vs the same exact pieces 150 miles away. It represented about a 20% premium, but I wanted to support the local guy and I didn't want to drive to retrieve to pieces.

In this case the local shop supports the local community. It's these local businesses that sponsor little league, soccer, sober graduation, our all volunteer fire department etc. I appreciate these guys and on some purchases will pay higher prices to support them.

So there are many of us who will pay more on occasion to support local businesses when it makes sence. It doesn't always, I still buy a lot online and sometimes travel for a deal -- but not 100% of the time.

However, if the local shop upsets me I will go to great lengths to not support them too.
That's what I'm talking about. Maybe its a feel-good thing, but IMHO its the right thing to do. Money isn't everything....but hassle is everything. If a person has extra time to drive for hours and hours, and needs to save the money, then they should do what they have to do.

I would cringe at having to spend $2000 for an extra warranty. $2000 extra for a set of fancy chrome wheels is getting something for your money. If nothing happens to the car, the money is gone forever. IMHO we're insurance poor already.

I have had 2 major auto issues - one was a complete engine failure. In both cases I didn't argue with the dealer, just paid the bill and left. Next I contacted the the district salers manager and the district service manager, with copies to GM headquarters. In both cases I was reimbursed 100%.

I keep a car about 4-8 years, and have owned 8 brand new cars. At this point, even if I had a catastrophic big $ failure, the $16,000 I saved would more than take care of the loss. Anyway, that's the way I look at it. To each his own...
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post

I should have explained my post better. But I would spend $1000 more to not drive 300miles round trip as well. Especially if they support the community. So I agree with you. Now $2-3000 and I may go for a ride lol... Supporting local businesses that help the community is worthwhile. Overpaying drastically just because a business is local (and may not help the community) isn't.

For instance. My 11 year old son was selected to participate in an after school program where the build ROVs (remotely operated vehicles) that float, can carry/support loads and can be driven. A local hardware store donated a soldering iron (as the kids are learning to solder circuit boards and electric motors for the project). I went to that store and bought another soldering iron and various supplies to donate to the after school group. I could have gotten the stuff cheaper at Walmart but the hardware store stepped up and it was my way of saying thanks. It's got to be a give and take. Not just give give...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #50

I'd pay a bit more for the soldering iron, too. It's a "friendly" thing to do at that dollar level. But thousands? Sorry. It's business.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Good thread here.

Murff
That's a really, really, really, really, really long trailer.

I can't imagine how much that thing must weigh.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #52

"That's a really, really, really, really, really long trailer."

Yeah, it must be the one they used in the Hope/Ball movie!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #53

We went to check out the 3150 that finally arrived at the dealership near us, I must say I was very disappointed ! Although the trailer is over 35ft in length, the interior space seemed to be very small? I didn't find the fit and finish of this trailer to be all that good also? I'm not sure what it is about the interior but it was not what I was expecting... I also looked at the 2800bh, we did find this model to have a more open concept space vs the 3150 but still wasn't that impressed with the over all quality and fit and finish with these models, Was very disappointed.. Looked at the Jayco White Hawks, in comparison to the imagine line, I thought the jayco's had much nicer interior and better build quality over all . Again very disappointed as I have been waiting to see this 3150 model for some time only to be the least bit impressed.... I am now looking at the white hawk 28bhds or the 28bhks models
bexiga is offline   Reply With Quote