Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #21

Country Mouse, correct it is Richardsons. I believe they are the largest Jayco dealer in the country. My point is that coachcardoso could make the trip to SoCal or continue to work with his local dealer for a better price which is what I would do.

Hopefully he could get within a couple of grand of the price down here. Just be aware that I ordered my TT in late Dec. and it's not scheduled to be built till the 1st week of April and probably won't be delivered till the 3rd week of April.

So it's close to 14-16 weeks as of now. The factory is very busy with orders per the west coast Jayco rep I spoke with a couple of weeks ago.

I still find it hard to believe that a Jayco dealer can refuse to work on any unit just because you couldn't make a deal with them.

I hope he gets a deal done with them. Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #22

OP here...we just got back from the dealer an hour south. They matched my quote from the southern part of the state (7 hours away). Luckily there were at the local RV show in Sacramento last weekend and said they price match. It was actually pretty easy and it still took a very long time.

So my JayFeather 26bhsw will in line at the factory soon. Manteca RV is a HUGE dealership. The place was impressive and the staff was great.
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachtcardoso View Post
OP here...we just got back from the dealer an hour south. They matched my quote from the southern part of the state (7 hours away). Luckily there were at the local RV show in Sacramento last weekend and said they price match. It was actually pretty easy and it still took a very long time.

So my JayFeather 26bhsw will in line at the factory soon. Manteca RV is a HUGE dealership. The place was impressive and the staff was great.
Awesome, CONGRATS!!

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #24

Is this another dealer or the 1st dealer who you couldn't come to terms with?

Wireman
Old 03-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #25

Congrats on getting a good deal...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #26

This is a new dealer. My local dealer is 15 minutes away and was unwilling to negotiate. I drove to Manteca which is just over an hour away. I saved $3000 and felt we were treated better.
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #27

coach, glad to hear to got the deal done. Now comes the wait which is just as bad as working the deal. That's a big savings over your local dealer. It pays to be patient.

Hopefully your visits to them will be few.

It's been 11 weeks for me so far. Passing the time by buying parts & accessories for the mods I plan on doing. My workbench looks like a hardware store.

Wireman
Old 03-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #28

My dealer is 2 blocks away. I can walk there to window shop if I like. I would never take one to him for repairs, since I prefer to do it myself.

I am happy to pay him an extra $3000 just because he and his workers are neighbors of mine. And I would NEVER drive 7 hours, or even 2 hours to save a few bucks.

If saving money is a hassle, then nothing has really been saved.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachtcardoso View Post
I'm looking at the 26bhsw. My 21k quote is nearly exact same distance from Indiana as I am but it's a 7 hour car drive from me. It's not a whole sale, it's just a large dealer.
My local dealer did in fact say they only work on RVs they sell. I didn't get a very welcoming feeling from sales manager (they need to put food on the table).
I may look at Grand Designs Imagine if this won't work out.
Grand Design builds awesome units, they have a new model coming out in a month or so, its the Imagine 3150bh, basically a light weight version of the 308 reflection. Really nice units, looks like all the new Imagine models all have the new front fiberglass cap, looks amazing.
bexiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #30

Congrats! Similar thing happened to me - dealer 5 minutes down the road plays the game of tacking on all kinds of charges after the advertised price lures you in... they wouldn't negotiate, so I drove 2 hours and saved close to $3000! Worth the drive!

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
My dealer is 2 blocks away. I can walk there to window shop if I like. I would never take one to him for repairs, since I prefer to do it myself.

I am happy to pay him an extra $3000 just because he and his workers are neighbors of mine. And I would NEVER drive 7 hours, or even 2 hours to save a few bucks.

If saving money is a hassle, then nothing has really been saved.

OP also made the statement that they felt like they were treated better at the second dealer. That, to us, is worth a drive. The dealer we use is about 50 minutes away, they know us by name and treat us very well whether it's a sale, warranty work, or just looking at 2 dollar accessories. We've been to a few dealers over the years that I wouldn't buy from regardless of how much we would save. If they treat you poorly during a purchase, how will it be when you need warranty work, or just need a question answered? Hard to make a judgement from just one interaction, but if they felt like they were treated better during the purchase process then saving 3k is just icing on the cake.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #32

Jenoble99 makes a lot of sense to me. The way a dealer treats potential customers is very important.

Reminds me of the first time my wife and I were shopping for travel trailers. We had been to every dealer at least once or twice between Tacoma and Everett WA looking for the right one. We felt we had found it at a, still in business, Tacoma dealer. Keep in mind, this was 30+ years ago.

After looking at the unit for the last time, we headed back across the street to the dealer's main office to make an offer on "the" trailer. SWMBO had to use the bathroom and since it was a nice day, I sat down on the front steps. As I waited, an older salesman walked by and asked how I was doing. I replied "fine" and casually mentioned all of the trailers they had for sale.

His reply caught me a bit off guard. He said, "well, hang in there young man and maybe you can afford one someday." Maybe I took to much offense to his comment. As the wife came back outside about that time, she said, "ready to go make an offer on the trailer?"

I told her, loud enough that the salesman could hear, "no, because that salesman told me 'I should hang in there and maybe we could afford one someday'". The salesman then swung around and looked at us and before he could say anything, I looked at him and then said, "too bad I can't afford one because I thought the all cash offer I was about to make would have been acceptable."

As he started sputtering, I told the wife let's go to Central Trailer Exchange and make an offer there. At least I don't think they will judge us on our looks there whether or not we can afford one."

Still wouldn't buy an RV from the Tacoma dealer to this day.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Jenoble99 makes a lot of sense to me. The way a dealer treats potential customers is very important.

Reminds me of the first time my wife and I were shopping for travel trailers. We had been to every dealer at least once or twice between Tacoma and Everett WA looking for the right one. We felt we had found it at a, still in business, Tacoma dealer. Keep in mind, this was 30+ years ago.

After looking at the unit for the last time, we headed back across the street to the dealer's main office to make an offer on "the" trailer. SWMBO had to use the bathroom and since it was a nice day, I sat down on the front steps. As I waited, an older salesman walked by and asked how I was doing. I replied "fine" and casually mentioned all of the trailers they had for sale.

His reply caught me a bit off guard. He said, "well, hang in there young man and maybe you can afford one someday." Maybe I took to much offense to his comment. As the wife came back outside about that time, she said, "ready to go make an offer on the trailer?"

I told her, loud enough that the salesman could hear, "no, because that salesman told me 'I should hang in there and maybe we could afford one someday'". The salesman then swung around and looked at us and before he could say anything, I looked at him and then said, "too bad I can't afford one because I thought the all cash offer I was about to make would have been acceptable."

As he started sputtering, I told the wife let's go to Central Trailer Exchange and make an offer there. At least I don't think they will judge us on our looks there whether or not we can afford one."

Murff
I had that happen to me buying a truck in my twenties. I was trading in a Ford Explorer for a Ford Ranger. Salesman told me "I probably owed more than it was worth." He had no idea that it was paid off. Made a stupid judgment about me and lost a sale. I immediately walked away and ordered my dream truck at the time from another dealer.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Murff
Isn't it funny how we all look at things differently. I would guess that salesmen don't deliberately try to scare customers away, so I would personally have taken that comment to be friendly banter. My reply would have been to ask him if the dealer had any salesmen that wanted to write up a cash offer, and I imagine we would have gotten along just fine.

Since after 30 years they are still in business they must be doing something right.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
OP also made the statement that they felt like they were treated better at the second dealer. That, to us, is worth a drive. The dealer we use is about 50 minutes away, they know us by name and treat us very well whether it's a sale, warranty work, or just looking at 2 dollar accessories. We've been to a few dealers over the years that I wouldn't buy from regardless of how much we would save. If they treat you poorly during a purchase, how will it be when you need warranty work, or just need a question answered? Hard to make a judgement from just one interaction, but if they felt like they were treated better during the purchase process then saving 3k is just icing on the cake.
I also refuse to deal with businesses that don't value their customers. In that case the hassle of the extra drive is justified. My point was that for me saving a few thousand does not justify the hassle of driving half way across the state. Nor would I go anywhere to save money if the dealer was a loser.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #36

I'm in my mid 30s , but could pass for early to mid 20s. First dealer I went to took my straight to the used section. I said I was looking for new and he said "you know those are over 20,000?" At your age you should start off used and go new after a few years.
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #37

Being retired I have lots of time to price shop. I looked at the local Cadillac dealer once, having bought one for my wife at Capitol Cadillac in Greenbelt, MD, some time before. That was a dealership! But the local's sales woman wasn't giving me much help and I left before haggling. Some time later I returned and was told by her I must not be serious since I was STILL looking. Well, DW is now driving a pretty darned expensive SUV, paid for with a personal check. But made to another dealership a hundred miles farther up the road. Every time I pass that local shop I have to control myself and not go in and look for that dame. But it's no really not a big deal in the scheme of things. Her loss.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #38

I always try to buy local if possible. The deal on my TT is a case in point. The dealer has a great reputation and they know me as I have bought a couple of class A's from them over the last 20 years.

But screw me over in any way in the future and all bets are off.

Over the last couple of months I have bought factory extended warranty's (Ford & Chrysler) for both of my cars. I got internet pricing on line from out of state dealers and gave both my local dealers the chance to match the price. Every dealer has access to the same warranties.

My local Ford dealer said there was no way they would match it. Bought it on line and saves $1000.

On my Jeep Grand Cherokee I did the same thing. The local dealer agreed to match it. Saved $1200.

My point is it pays to shop and be patient. If you feel your not getting a good deal locally, walk away. There are others out there who want you business.

I'll weigh all my options and make a decision on what's best for me.

gypsmjim, it's your choice to go where you want. If you have the financial resources to pay an extra $3000 and keeping your business local is that important, that's great. But to some, a $3000 savings is more than a few bucks.

Wireman
Old 03-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post

gypsmjim, it's your choice to go where you want. If you have the financial resources to pay an extra $3000 and keeping your business local is that important, that's great. But to some, a $3000 savings is more than a few bucks.

Wireman
My time is worth something.....in fact its worth quite a lot.

As some have said, they drove 7 hours to pick up a trailer. To me. that's a loss.

When I was working as a consultant, every hour I wasted was money lost. Now that I'm retired and an old codger (LOL), the hours are even more precious because I only have a limited supply left.

A buddy of mine always has to have a "deal". I am willing to pay more. In the end I'm always happy and he always gets screwed.

What stands out more than anything in this thread is the attitude of the salesmen that have been described. In a former life I thought I might want to go into sales and took courses to that end. Obviously, the idiots reported here never had any edumication...

I guess I must be blessed. I have bought dozens of new autos, boats and RVs. Only 1 used one of each flavor, and I have never been insultted or looked down upon by a salesman. If I had, the owner of the dealer would have been advised...
Old 03-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #40

gypsmjim, I'm a old codger also, retired, and have the time to shop around. I just try to get the best bang for my buck when I can.

As I mentioned with my extended warranty search, everything was equal except the cost. Saving $2,200 was worth the time and effort. A fixed income changes the game.

I meant no disrespect about your opinion on cost's and time. Don't get me started on car & RV salesmen. The good & knowledgeable are far and few. Most will say anything to make a sale and the customer is the one who suffers.

2 minutes with some of the ones I've had gives me enough time to know they are in the wrong business completely. If they told me it was noon, Id check my watch anyway.

I've walked away from car dealers because of how I was treated and went elsewhere.

The best tools for anyone are time, research and patience. Wireman