Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #21

I've seen two RVs burn up. One Class C and one TT. Both were unoccupied and it seemed to only take about 10 seconds from the first sign of fire to a total inferno. You have to act fast to have a chance to survive. Also, RV fires are very hot. The guy with the TT had a "fireproof" box inside with all his papers and some cash. After the fire was out he opened the box and it looked like a box full of cigarette ashes.

Also, in both cases the propane tanks vented and it was hardly noticeable. A far cry from the massive explosion that levels a whole city block when a propane tank gets shot in the movies.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #22

Good morning, Scoutr2.
Is lubricating the rubber frame around the emergency exit window recommended as a means of making the window easier to open? If so, what type of lubricant is preferred?
Tom
Cattail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #23
Site Team

I would spray some clear silicone on a cloth and wipe the gasket and also the mating surface.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattail View Post
Good morning, Scoutr2.
Is lubricating the rubber frame around the emergency exit window recommended as a means of making the window easier to open? If so, what type of lubricant is preferred?
Tom
That might help. I use a light coating of silicone lubricant on all seals, as it won't degrade the rubber. I wipe down the slide seals a couple times a year with a light coat, as well.

Mike

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #25

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
Absolutely, you can use them for ventilation, if they have screens.

As for your dealer's advice, forget it. But I wonder how much other bogus advice they gave you!

And there are no silly questions here. You will get experienced people answering your questions here. Some are admonishments based on personal preference, but most are from plain hard facts - and "been there - done that - earned the merit badge" experience.

Welcome!
This. Yes.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #26

Ok I'll add one more watch out. After you have it opened be sure that the window is closed and latched. If not latched it can come open in travel.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Ok I'll add one more watch out. After you have it opened be sure that the window is closed and latched. If not latched it can come open in travel.
Very true! Coming back from our last trip I looked in the rear view mirror to see the driver's side bedroom window swinging in and out. The window had been closed but the pusher handle thing hadn't been locked back into place. It wasn't as bad as the door coming open on our last TT, but could still have the potential to cause damage. "Windows Closed" was changed "Windows Closed and Latched" on the pre-departure checklist when we got home!
Old 06-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #28

We use ours for ventilation.....
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #29

My 2014 White Hawk 30dsre has one entry door and emergency windows in the bedroom and on one side near the rear entertainment center. Having thought this thru our plan is go out the door if at all possible. Why? Consider your age and size. At 230lbs and 68 years old, going thru either of the windows would be difficult and maybe impossible. It would certainly not be fast. The exit door is about 6' from the bedroom and there are 2 exit doors out of the bedroom. Since this is our plan A, we have practiced unlocking the main door quickly in the dark by feel only. Part of the plan is to grab the dogs and drag them out the door if possible. It would be fairly quick to pitch a dog out the window, while the wife is heading out the door, but from the videos I;ve seen, an RV fire goes fast so there is absolutely no time to grab stuff.

M day weekend a friend of ours toasted their motor home as they left the campground. Made it just about to the entrance of the State Park. He said he heard a pop and they pulled to the side of the park road and all exited the MH. I'm less than 45 seconds it was fully engulfed and burned bumper to bumper all the way to the frame. They escaped thru the cab doors of the 10 year old class C Mhome.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #30

Wow I'm starting to like the 2 doors our trailer has!
I do wonder why Jayco felt the need to put an emergency exit window opposite the door however.
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:16 AM   #31

My dealer demonstrated that they prop open but also demonstrated how to use them for an emergency exit.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote