Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #1

Not Delamination: Is this water intrusion?

I have a love/ hate relationship with my 2015 Jayco J-flight 26BH. The love the memories, but hate the endless issues. I purchased this slightly used TT from the original owner and though it's less than a year old, the warranty expired as soon as it left the original owner. I figured reattaching the shelving with screws instead of staples would be easy enough. Finding the short in my usb wiring was tricky, but not impossible. The latest issue scares me though. Looked out my side view mirror in route to the campground and noticed raised fiberglass. Starts right at the level and runs diagonal, so I instantly though water/ delam. It's hard though and I'm thinking warping or intrusion. Any thoughts? Repair? Time to panic?

Attachment 23024
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	23025
Old 04-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #2

I had a similar issue with the door on my outside kitchen. Mine was covered under warranty and they replaced the entire door. My dealer said it was delamination, not water intrusion.
I can't help you with the cost as mine was under warranty.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 04-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

I'm going to call the dealer and see if they will honor the warranty work even though Jayco's warranty clearly covers the original owner. Worst case, I'll be attempting the repair myself. I love a good challenge, but any error on my part will result in a bigger eye sore. What's throwing me off is the hardness of the raised part. If it's trapped moisture, I'm thinking I may be able to cut some small holes, use a heat gun on low to evaporate the moisture, and hopefully reseal the coating. Any idea what they did to repair yours?
Old 04-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #4

I'm doubting water, as the panels are generally layers of pressure bonded fiberglass. All the materials are inherently waterproof. If if there were ways for water to get in, there would be no warping like wood, unless it was subject to extreme freezing events. Maybe here in Minnesota (like OurJayco and me) but doubtful in Olympia. More likely is the pressure bonding wasn't 100%.
I had to repair mine due to an oops between the fifth and the truck. Standard auto body materials (fiberglass/Bondo) worked extremely well. The very hardest part is finding a paint match. Jayco ignored my request for help - color codes, selling a small quantity, or anything else. I found something that was 99% right. Hard to see until I point it out. But you may have to do some searching and enlist the help of auto body supply places to try for a custom colorimeter paint mix.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #5

I took her down to Texas in December and got caught up in some 3 degree temps coming back through Utah, but nothing like constant temps in Minnesota. Being in Washington, I assumed rain was the culprit, especially since it originates at the level which I figured must be screwed into the fiberglass. The level isn't accurate so it's coming off tomorrow and I'm going to investigate further. With the bulge being hard, I thought for sure there must be some plywood sub paneling warping underneath the fiberglass. Sucks Jayco didn't help you out more. So far I'm not impressed with my TT. I know I only dropped $15K for a first timer, but I expected basic craftsmanship skills even if the materials are flimsy. Staples are popping out on shelves and dinette back, screws are coming out at nearly every curtain slide, and blinds are even hung crooked. After I reinforce the cabinetry, I'm definitely going to be making some weather proofing/ insulation modifications. Too soon to say I'm done with travel trailers, but I'm almost sure my next one won't be Jayco. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #6

Looks like the panel is pulling away from the framing at the lower edge. Likely the bulge higher up is related, and not caused by something else. Prior owner perhaps pushed it in with a dropped tailgate? Wonder if that sticker is covering a bit of the damage?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #7

The panels on RV's (except for curved fronts) are not fiberglass, but FRP. Fiberglas reinforced plastic panels. Cranes composites make most of these panels. They are similar to what you see in commercial kitchens, and the FRP sold at home depot. The bonding, when I visited the factory, in my opinion, left much to be desired. I would say the bond is 75% at best. FRP Panels by Crane Composites

Good Luck.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

If you zoom way in on the picture you can see just below the sticker that the panel has been pushed in. You can see what I think is the floor, and the bottom weatherstrip has separated from the panel in that area. You better seal that area good so water doesn't get in at the floor, looks like a job for a repair shop on the panel if it bothers you to much, I would not waste my money repairing it, its only cosmetic damage.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #9

Is that leveler bubble thing screwed to the trailer, or stuck on with a sticker? Looks to me like the bubbling stems from that location. If screwed in place, I would be assuring the screw holes are adequately sealed.

Just a though.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
If you zoom way in on the picture you can see just below the sticker that the panel has been pushed in. You can see what I think is the floor, and the bottom weatherstrip has separated from the panel in that area. You better seal that area good so water doesn't get in at the floor, looks like a job for a repair shop on the panel if it bothers you to much, I would not waste my money repairing it, its only cosmetic damage.

I think you are looking at the picture wrong. The picture is on it's side (at least on my computer).

Old 04-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
Site Team

This thread has 2 different discussions about 2 separate problems. One appears to be a door, the other appears to be on the front of a travel trailer.

Make sure you id which one you are commenting on because I can't follow the discussions.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 04-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Is that leveler bubble thing screwed to the trailer, or stuck on with a sticker? Looks to me like the bubbling stems from that location. If screwed in place, I would be assuring the screw holes are adequately sealed.

Just a though.
If that leveler is screwed I see two things that can happen:
1 - It was not sealed properly and the water is getting into
2 - Even sealed properly, the difference in expansion/contraction of the wood under the fiberglass is adding stress to the bond fiberglass/wood around the screws and causing delamination.

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
Old 04-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
If that leveler is screwed I see two things that can happen:
1 - It was not sealed properly and the water is getting into
2 - Even sealed properly, the difference in expansion/contraction of the wood under the fiberglass is adding stress to the bond fiberglass/wood around the screws and causing delamination.

Exactly. That's kinda my thought.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
This thread has 2 different discussions about 2 separate problems. One appears to be a door, the other appears to be on the front of a travel trailer.

Make sure you id which one you are commenting on because I can't follow the discussions.
Not really. The picture of the door is not the OP. That person was just showing he had a similar issue to the OP's issue.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #15

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I'm sure some of you know or remember the military life. Anyway, I spent some time washing and waxing the TT, and removed the level and sticker based on some of your comments. The level was just taped on and the sticker wasn't covering anything, but I almost wish they were because now I'm thinking its coming from the seams. Let me back up though. So after really trying to push on the bulges and feeling around, I'm sure it's delamination. I can feel the slightest movement and hear a slight difference on the bulges. It's not just happening on one seam either, but both. Now, I'm calling it delamination but most of what I've researched usually happens under windows and on the sides of rigs. This is the front. I've commented on the poor craftsmanship of this TT, and the seals and caulking are no different though. Just to reiterate, this TT is less than a year old. I bought it from fellow RVer who upgraded to a 5'er, and she wasn't the handiest person. I knew I'd have some maintenance to do since she rarely moved it and wasn't meticulous when it came to upkeep. However, I did not expect the integrity of the trailer to be deteriorating already. I'm also surprised at the rate in which it is happening, but the trailer just went through it's first rainy season and rainy season is long so I guess it was bound to happen. So, now that I think I have the diagnosis correct, I'm calling the dealership to beg for help. Jayco's warranty covers the original purchaser, but I'm hoping for some understanding since the TT is so new. Worst case, I'm dropping some coin. My next step will be to reseal the entire TT myself. That's where you all come in. Would you remove the old sealant and re caulk, or just reapply over the current? I'm going to start with the roof and work my way down. I thought about Line-x for the roof, but that has got to be expensive. I saw that BigJohn posted instructions on roof sealing, so I may go that route instead.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4110.JPG   IMG_4111.JPG   IMG_4112.JPG   IMG_4113.JPG  
Old 04-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #16

I'm attaching the link to this video in case you've never seen the speed associated with the construction of our Jayco TTs. I'm sure it's the same with various brands, but I sure wish they would focus on quality over quantity.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #17

That level does not look to level either, I have seen this before on the Keystone Outbacks. The front would look like this depending on the temperature outside. What are your temperatures like, Cold. Bet once it warms it will almost go away. But I would certainly keep an eye on it or have it checked.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 04-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
I'm attaching the link to this video in case you've never seen the speed associated with the construction of our Jayco TTs. I'm sure it's the same with various brands, but I sure wish they would focus on quality over quantity.

DISCLAIMER: This video has been out a long time and was made by Jayco to tout their construction, not knock it. Be aware that video clips can be sped up, not sure this is the case on the original but this was not intended as a hit piece originally.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 04-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #19

I'm not really concerned with the video's positive or negative intent, only thought it was interesting. I'm not even implying that I wouldn't buy a Jayco after watching it, only that it raises curiously as to the procedures of any company that constructs RVs and TTs. By adding the disclaimer, I'm assuming you think the video reflects badly on Jayco just as the guy who posted the video with the title "pure junk". Maybe all travel trailers are built this way, I don't know. For me it just adds justification to my feelings that my particular travel trailer is built like crap. But I'm stuck with it for now and depending on how Jayco chooses to assist me will determine if I ever purchase another. Until then, I own a travel trailer with a problem that prevents me from doing what I bought it for. That is my concern at the moment.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #20

Just wanted to give a quick update. Jayco would not cover the damage because I am not the original owner of the TT. Less than a year old but rules are rules. Anyway, I elected to take the TT in for an estimate as everything I read says the issue will only get worse if delayed. I had the option of Jayco authorized repair, but both of them were dealerships. I know that dealerships are marked up and often provide poor service when it comes to automobiles, so I made the assumption that the case is similar at RV dealers. A local RV repair shop was recommended by other travelers, and I took it in for an estimate. $2500.00 and he was still waiting on a price for the decal. I told him to forget the decal. I am rethinking my decision to not try a dealership repair center, but at this point I just want my TT fixed by Memorial Day.
Closed Thread