Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #11
Site Team

This thread has 2 different discussions about 2 separate problems. One appears to be a door, the other appears to be on the front of a travel trailer.

Make sure you id which one you are commenting on because I can't follow the discussions.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 04-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Is that leveler bubble thing screwed to the trailer, or stuck on with a sticker? Looks to me like the bubbling stems from that location. If screwed in place, I would be assuring the screw holes are adequately sealed.

Just a though.
If that leveler is screwed I see two things that can happen:
1 - It was not sealed properly and the water is getting into
2 - Even sealed properly, the difference in expansion/contraction of the wood under the fiberglass is adding stress to the bond fiberglass/wood around the screws and causing delamination.

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
Old 04-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
If that leveler is screwed I see two things that can happen:
1 - It was not sealed properly and the water is getting into
2 - Even sealed properly, the difference in expansion/contraction of the wood under the fiberglass is adding stress to the bond fiberglass/wood around the screws and causing delamination.

Exactly. That's kinda my thought.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
This thread has 2 different discussions about 2 separate problems. One appears to be a door, the other appears to be on the front of a travel trailer.

Make sure you id which one you are commenting on because I can't follow the discussions.
Not really. The picture of the door is not the OP. That person was just showing he had a similar issue to the OP's issue.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #15

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I'm sure some of you know or remember the military life. Anyway, I spent some time washing and waxing the TT, and removed the level and sticker based on some of your comments. The level was just taped on and the sticker wasn't covering anything, but I almost wish they were because now I'm thinking its coming from the seams. Let me back up though. So after really trying to push on the bulges and feeling around, I'm sure it's delamination. I can feel the slightest movement and hear a slight difference on the bulges. It's not just happening on one seam either, but both. Now, I'm calling it delamination but most of what I've researched usually happens under windows and on the sides of rigs. This is the front. I've commented on the poor craftsmanship of this TT, and the seals and caulking are no different though. Just to reiterate, this TT is less than a year old. I bought it from fellow RVer who upgraded to a 5'er, and she wasn't the handiest person. I knew I'd have some maintenance to do since she rarely moved it and wasn't meticulous when it came to upkeep. However, I did not expect the integrity of the trailer to be deteriorating already. I'm also surprised at the rate in which it is happening, but the trailer just went through it's first rainy season and rainy season is long so I guess it was bound to happen. So, now that I think I have the diagnosis correct, I'm calling the dealership to beg for help. Jayco's warranty covers the original purchaser, but I'm hoping for some understanding since the TT is so new. Worst case, I'm dropping some coin. My next step will be to reseal the entire TT myself. That's where you all come in. Would you remove the old sealant and re caulk, or just reapply over the current? I'm going to start with the roof and work my way down. I thought about Line-x for the roof, but that has got to be expensive. I saw that BigJohn posted instructions on roof sealing, so I may go that route instead.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4110.JPG   IMG_4111.JPG   IMG_4112.JPG   IMG_4113.JPG  
Old 04-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #16

I'm attaching the link to this video in case you've never seen the speed associated with the construction of our Jayco TTs. I'm sure it's the same with various brands, but I sure wish they would focus on quality over quantity.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #17

That level does not look to level either, I have seen this before on the Keystone Outbacks. The front would look like this depending on the temperature outside. What are your temperatures like, Cold. Bet once it warms it will almost go away. But I would certainly keep an eye on it or have it checked.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
Old 04-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
I'm attaching the link to this video in case you've never seen the speed associated with the construction of our Jayco TTs. I'm sure it's the same with various brands, but I sure wish they would focus on quality over quantity.

DISCLAIMER: This video has been out a long time and was made by Jayco to tout their construction, not knock it. Be aware that video clips can be sped up, not sure this is the case on the original but this was not intended as a hit piece originally.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 04-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #19

I'm not really concerned with the video's positive or negative intent, only thought it was interesting. I'm not even implying that I wouldn't buy a Jayco after watching it, only that it raises curiously as to the procedures of any company that constructs RVs and TTs. By adding the disclaimer, I'm assuming you think the video reflects badly on Jayco just as the guy who posted the video with the title "pure junk". Maybe all travel trailers are built this way, I don't know. For me it just adds justification to my feelings that my particular travel trailer is built like crap. But I'm stuck with it for now and depending on how Jayco chooses to assist me will determine if I ever purchase another. Until then, I own a travel trailer with a problem that prevents me from doing what I bought it for. That is my concern at the moment.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #20

Just wanted to give a quick update. Jayco would not cover the damage because I am not the original owner of the TT. Less than a year old but rules are rules. Anyway, I elected to take the TT in for an estimate as everything I read says the issue will only get worse if delayed. I had the option of Jayco authorized repair, but both of them were dealerships. I know that dealerships are marked up and often provide poor service when it comes to automobiles, so I made the assumption that the case is similar at RV dealers. A local RV repair shop was recommended by other travelers, and I took it in for an estimate. $2500.00 and he was still waiting on a price for the decal. I told him to forget the decal. I am rethinking my decision to not try a dealership repair center, but at this point I just want my TT fixed by Memorial Day.

Closed Thread