Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

Odor from Black tank...after camping trip

ok...so took my new camper out couple of weeks ago, had a great time. After packing up, I stopped and drained my black and gray tanks (in that order). My question is, what do you do after draining the tanks? Because when I took it out this weekend, There was a terrible odor from the toilet when it was first flushed. I assume after sitting up for a week in the heat it got rather bad. So, what can I do to prevent this? Add more water to black tank after getting home or what? I really don't want to add the extra weight to my camper when pulling. Or am I missing something simple?
mblann1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #2

I always add water and more chemical, you usually only need 2 or 3 gallon or 25lbs.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I always add water and more chemical, you usually only need 2 or 3 gallon or 25lbs.
+1 We always add water to the black tank and add chemicals. Never had a problem in 8 years.
I probably jinxed myself now.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #4

As stated above. Small amount of water and chemical. This will also sloush around while driving and help clean stuff off the walls etc.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #5

After opening the black tank and letting it drain, I pour 5 gallons of fresh water down the toilet. Next I drain the gray tank. I put another 5 gallons of fresh water in the black tank to slosh around on the trip home. When the gray tank is empty I dump another 5 gallons down both kitchen sinks and the bathroom lavatory to get any gray water flushed out of the sink traps. I let this slosh around in the gray tank on the trip home as well. When I get home I let it go on the grass in my yard and that's that.

For storage between trips I put a dose of chemical in the toilet with about 3 gallons of water.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #6

This is what I use and after my last flush or should I say clean out, I add 1 packet + 1 cup of Calgon Water Softener+ 1/4 cup of liquid laundry detergent and 1 gallon of water and drive home and forget about it till the next clean out. If you still have a problem you can add 1qt. Of bleach to deodorize when in use.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #7

I always add water after dumping the tank. We seldom use chemicals.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #8

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys!
mblann1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

Kind of off topic, but if you empty a 5 gal gas can into your vehicle and leave the sealed empty container in the sun it will swell up like a balloon. Pretty much the same effect with an empty black tank. The vent should release the pressure but you will still tend to get some build up of gas fumes with an empty or near empty tank. Chemicals and some water will help. When you open the flush valve on the toilet you may get an initial puff of #$%%%^^&& smelling air. Should only happen with the initial flush.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Kind of off topic, but if you empty a 5 gal gas can into your vehicle and leave the sealed empty container in the sun it will swell up like a balloon. Pretty much the same effect with an empty black tank. The vent should release the pressure but you will still tend to get some build up of gas fumes with an empty or near empty tank. Chemicals and some water will help. When you open the flush valve on the toilet you may get an initial puff of #$%%%^^&& smelling air. Should only happen with the initial flush.
I would save that initial flush and just toss a lit match down the hole to get rid of that #$%%%^^&& smelling air! Dave gave me that idea.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I would save that initial flush and just toss a lit match down the hole to get rid of that #$%%%^^&& smelling air! Dave gave me that idea.
Dave? As in Super Dave?

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I don't understand how this could possibly happen. If the tank is vented out the top (as it is), there is no way for the tank to build any pressure at all. Unless your vent is clogged, which is entirely possible. But in a normally operating black tank, how could any pressure possibly build? In your gas can example, the container is sealed, the pressure is created because the temperature inside the bottle is higher, thus creating pressure because the expanding gas inside the bottle has nowhere to go. Unlike in a black tank, where the expanding gas exits the vent pipe.

Now, if you have your fart fan on, creating negative pressure inside the RV, and you open your flush valve, the gas from the tank will back flow out of the tank, through the toilet, and right into your face (ask me how I know?!) because the pressure in the bathroom is lower, and the gas will take the path to the lowest pressure area.

What am I missing?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #13

I can recommend using "5 Star Happy Camper" in your black and/or grey tanks to eliminate all odors.
I've used this product for 4 seasons now with stellar results. Super easy to use and 100% effective.

Link to 5 Star Happy Camper Website

Product can also be ordered on Amazon.com with free shipping for Prime users.

Use 1 oz of product with a gallon or 2 of water after each tank dump and done. Even comes with a measure scoop.

I have no affiliation other than a being a happy user.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
Dave? As in Super Dave?

Ha Ha Ha Ha ROTFLOL
Old 08-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I don't understand how this could possibly happen. If the tank is vented out the top (as it is), there is no way for the tank to build any pressure at all. Unless your vent is clogged, which is entirely possible. But in a normally operating black tank, how could any pressure possibly build? In your gas can example, the container is sealed, the pressure is created because the temperature inside the bottle is higher, thus creating pressure because the expanding gas inside the bottle has nowhere to go. Unlike in a black tank, where the expanding gas exits the vent pipe.

Now, if you have your fart fan on, creating negative pressure inside the RV, and you open your flush valve, the gas from the tank will back flow out of the tank, through the toilet, and right into your face (ask me how I know?!) because the pressure in the bathroom is lower, and the gas will take the path to the lowest pressure area.

What am I missing?
Maybe you missed the part that the vent should prevent a buildup of pressure. The gas can [sealed] was simply to demonstrate how air will expand when heated and unless all of it is released, you will tend to get a puff when you open it up. The OP doesn't indicate a blow out a candle wind from the toilet, just a bad smell. That bad smell is from the bad air [gas or ust smelly air] that exists in the tank. An appreciable amount of air would indicate that the vent may be clogged. A poof is probably just trapped smelly air being pulled into the bathroom as a result of a negative air pressure in the TT caused by an open window or exhaust fan.

Didn't really want to get into a scientific argument. Suspect you probably kind of sort of understood my original point anyway.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #16

How would one tell if there vent is clogged?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #17

Go up there and suck on it...you'll find out pretty soon.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #18

Yeah right. Not!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhollywood View Post
Yeah right. Not!
Honestly in the past 45 years I have never heard of a stopped up vent pipe.
It's the same as your house. There is normally two much gas that prevents any animal or insect from ever going there. There is a cap over it that may get crushed down or in most cases knocked off by a limb or something.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
Go up there and suck on it...you'll find out pretty soon.

A little (and I mean very little) whiff of stinky gas on occasion is one thing, and is often quite normal. But for the toilet valve, or any valve to make a "poof" or release pressure at all is a problem. That's all I was trying to say. Your black tank (assuming it is functioning properly) will not build pressure, regardless of changes in temperature. Will it get stinky? Well, sure! It holds poo for a living!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote