Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #1

Exclamation Off Season TT Purchase

We have a 2016 Jay Flight 26BH on order that is due to arrive the first week of November according to the RV dealer. We do not plan to use the TT until spring since most campgrounds have closed for the season and it has been getting pretty cold here in the northeast.

I am really torn on whether or not I should insist on a test of the "wet systems" since the TT should come winterized, everything else should be no problem to give a quick once over. I am pretty handy when it comes to minor issues and have no problem fixing them myself if they should arise, however, I don't want to sign the papers, sit on the TT all winter just to find out there is a major issue on our shakedown trip in the spring. By then I'm sure that the service department will be booked many weeks out and we would be disappointed if we couldn't use the TT right off the rip as we plan to use it a lot next year.

On the other hand, one would think that this day in age, advancements in manufacturing processes and quality systems would greatly reduce the need for a these kind of concerns. As a Quality Engineer with over 15 years of manufacturing experience, I do understand things aren't perfect every time and that this type of a product is subject to a lot of abuse.

I am hoping anyone that has been in this same situation of buying a new TT at the end of the season or during the winter can chime in and help calm my nerves or offer some suggestions. I know that Jayco has been building RV's for a long time and that the 26BH is a pretty popular model with the Jay Flight having the title of #1 selling TT for the last 10 years has got to say something.

Many Thanks in Advance!!
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Site Team

If it will ease your mind remember it takes less then half an hour and a couple jugs of antifreeze to winterize. I`ve dewinterized mid winter in the past so I could camp, then winterized again when I got done. No biggie.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #3

We bought our TT in mid January here in Alaska. The dealership was very helpful and let us do a complete run through of all systems including the wet systems and then went through and re-winterized it before we hooked up and left.

Even still, due to freezing conditions, and snow, it was almost a month before we were able to put a cover on it once we got it home and parked. It did just fine.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #4

Just ask them to re-winterize it as part of the deal..after you test and do your walk through at delivery.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #5

I had the same Delma this past January. Ours came in intermixed, and I left it winterized for the PDI. and when it finally got warm, I dewinterized in plenty of time to fix stuff. I was lucky and all was good as it was straight from the factory.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
Just ask them to re-winterize it as part of the deal..after you test and do your walk through at delivery.
I took delivery of mine in late March/early April and it can still get below freezing here. As part of the walk through my dealer tested everything, to include the plumbing system, and showed me how everything works. When we were doing the final paperwork, they re-winterized and adjusted my weight distribution hitch.

I would think that a good dealer would be willing to do that for you.

Worst case scenario, a couple gallons of rv antifreeze are less then $10. Test it yourself and winterize when you are done.

I would encourage you to not assume that everything is perfect from the factory. Unfortunately with the rv industry, they rely on the dealer and end customer to perform quality control. Best to test it now and have plenty of time to get it fixed before you start your season.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #7

We bought ours during a freeze spell down here in North Texas. They ran us thru the whole process and then re-winterized the RV for us. We did the walk thru in the morning and left to go get some lunch while they winterized for us.

Dan
Old 10-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #8

I'm with those that would do the full PDI at delivery. Winterizing is so easy even I can do it, and as some others said, the dealer should be happy to rewinterize for you. Personally, I'd prefer doing it myself so I know it's done to my standards.

As you rightly assumed, any necessary fix is better done in the off season than springtime.

Finally, I did what I did for 45 years and still was frequently surprised up to my last day of work. You might be in for some head shaking discoveries in the QC area!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #9

The dealer knows quality issues are common with RV's and should be doing a full check of all systems before you take delivery. I think the dealer is supposed to check everything within a few days of delivery to them and if nothing is reported to Jayco, they consider a good product was delivered. Ask if you can do the plumbing PDI while its in their shop before they winterize.

Do a full PDI regardless of the dealers response
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #10

Thank you all again for the responses. This really helps! It seems like the general consensus is doing the full wet systems inspection in the PDI is well worth the little extra time it will take to re-winterize. I'm not sure what the RV dealers exact PDI includes, but will certainly request this to be done if they don't automatically do it. Also, we ordered this unit with the thermal package, I'm assuming a lot of the plumbing and wiring is going to be hidden above all the insulation?? Is this going to complicate the PDI?
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #11

We took delivery in early March. They stated that the wet system was already tested for leaks when the trailer arrived. I asked them if they could put 20 gallons of water in the fresh tank and let the on board pump pressurize the system. They did and the pump pressurized and stopped running. The pump is your best leak detector. Make sure it stays pressurized for 3 or 4 minutes without cycling and you should be good to go. As far as electrical, just turn on anything/everything you can.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote