Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #1

Opinions on the jay flight slx 264bhw

Hello i am new to the travel trailer seen not new to towing. and am looking into buying a Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW. Any one have any opinions on this trailer this is gonna be the biggest and heavyest that the 2015 canyon can pull.. and most of my trips will prolly be under 100 miles if needed i have access for longer trips to a bigger truck. But the trailer its self has anyone own/ed one anythoughts on it.. and does anyone have the electeonic sway control from jayco and is it worth it? And any advice on what to look for when buying.
Runnin a p3 controller.
Wdh any suggestions?
Thanks
Bkilian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #2

I just sold a 264BH. It had more features than the 264bhw which debuted in 2015 but there are otherwise similar i believe. Mine was flawless and served us well. We only sold it to go a little bigger.

I know nothing about the Canyon or Sway Command. P3 is a good brake controller and is what I use. I love the Blue Ox WDH setup. It's easy to set up, use and works great. Look them up.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

Opinions on the jay flight slx 264bhw

I own a 2016 264BHW. It's been an awesome trailer so far with no issues. I tow it with a Ram 1500. I honestly don't think I would tow it with a Canyon. I think you will be over weight on your payload.
I use a Fastway E2 wd hitch and it levels my truck and has sway control built in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

Gm claims canyon/colorado pulls 7k trailers... and have talked to others pullin heavier heartland trailers.. so i have my doubts but the numbers add up fully loaded ill be about 500 or so under fully loaded.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #5

Well I think it's a great trailer you will like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum.

Most vehicles run into trouble with the payload before the towing capacity. The payload is the trailer's tongue weight (~12%-15%) of the fully loaded trailer weight, the truck's passengers, fuel, and everything carried in the truck bed.

Jayco's sway control is designed to help when sway has gotten VERY severe and the TV and TT are virtually out of control. Hitches with sway control are designed to dampen sway BEFORE it gets severe. IMO, Jayco's sway control is not a substitute for sway control provided by hitches.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Jayco's sway control is designed to help when sway has gotten VERY severe and the TV and TT are virtually out of control. Hitches with sway control are designed to dampen sway BEFORE it gets severe. IMO, Jayco's sway control is not a substitute for sway control provided by hitches.
Thats what i was lookin for. Electronic sway control would be great for the emergency situation but not as stand alone sway control. Thats very helpful. Thanks
Old 05-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Most vehicles run into trouble with the payload before the towing capacity. The payload is the trailer's tongue weight (~12%-15%) of the fully loaded trailer weight, the truck's passengers, fuel, and everything carried in the truck bed.
Old men from Arizona are usually quite wise. I agree 110% with this.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #9

Cool

We have a 2016 264BHW. I found some things that needed to be fixed on this brand new TT:
  1. loose nuts on the outrigger to body bolts
  2. master bed box was badly finished, screws missed the studs, not fastened to front wall properly.
  3. Staple or nail under the vinyl flooring at joint in flooring in front of refrigerator
And no, I'm not a total idgit; but you couldn't really see this stuff till you were really crawling around with a flashlight working on it. My bad, I assumed, with predictable results, that Jayco would practice due diligence and quality control. I wish I could have paid for it with some missing or incorrectly made money, LOL!

If you're willing to do a little work and make a few mods, it seems like a good TT. I'll let you know. We start full-timing in July. I'll post mods with photos soon, it's turned out well, so far.

Oh yeah, I also upgraded our TV before problems developed. We have friction type sway control on the WDH, and supposedly the built in Ford brake controller notices and corrects sway. Again, we'll see; the menu for the trailer/brake controller sure looks cool!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #10

We purchased ours a few months ago at a show in Indy, but haven't really had a chance to take it out yet as it got cold and wasn't able to get it out! It's finally warming up, but while pulling it around to test things out and make sure everything is working, I've noticed a couple of things:

-The radio will automatically turn back on! I will be in the trailer and will get a call from my parents a few days later saying it is on...it's happened several times.
-The heater keeps trying to kick on (well the fan does) even though all switches are off, gas turned off, and it's only on battery. Anybody else have this issue?
-The 751 keys really suck...going to change them out with some nicer ones soon.

It's an entry level trailer, so I know the quality of everything in it and how it's made isn't going to be top notch and I assume I'll be making my own changes over time. I have 2 sway bars and weight distribution setup, but I still am ordering the Sway Command to install myself (I tried to get in to get it installed and a few other things, but right now I've had such a bad experience with Camping World in Indiana that I doubt I will ever go back in again). I told my wife I'd rather spend the few hundred dollars extra as a safeguard...just in case. I'd rather spend $400 and never need it than having the trailer take off on me! I'm pulling with a Tacoma 4x4 with tow package. It maxes out at 6500, and we don't plan on packing it full of stuff...so far it tows pretty good, but like any trailer I can see the gas gauge move when towing. Guess I'll find out how it does when I go for our first excursion from Indiana to Hersey PA next month!
barneyhousehold is offline   Reply With Quote