Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #1

Opinions on x213

What are your opinions on the x213. It is a bunkhouse model with a rear slide that is a king size bed.
I have not been able to see one on a dealer lot in my area.
One dealer said that he can't keep them in stock, and someone buys it the moment it arrives. The other dealer said that no one is interested in them and that they have issues with the rear slide leaking. That same dealer said that the slides on the sides of the unit aren't having troubles with leaks, and he doesn't know why.

Does anyone have this unit? Would you please give me your opinions on it?
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
What are your opinions on the x213. It is a bunkhouse model with a rear slide that is a king size bed.
I have not been able to see one on a dealer lot in my area.
One dealer said that he can't keep them in stock, and someone buys it the moment it arrives. The other dealer said that no one is interested in them and that they have issues with the rear slide leaking. That same dealer said that the slides on the sides of the unit aren't having troubles with leaks, and he doesn't know why.

Does anyone have this unit? Would you please give me your opinions on it?
I have a 2012 unit that I bought new. Mine has been awesome and only went in once for a new power tongue jack and a loose trim above the bed slide. I added a 2" memory foam topper on the king bed, ladder for the upper bunk, switched all the lights to led's, upgraded the battery to a AGM group 31 deep cycle and back it with 2 - 6 volt golf cart batteries. I have a Chamipion 2000 & 3100 watt inverter generator as well as a folding 120 watt Go Power Suitcase Solar panel
Old 07-09-2017, 01:42 AM   #3

New owner

Very new owner of a new 2017 x213. I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow, and then we are off on our first trip. We like the idea of a bunk for each kid, and a (small) king size bed for us..

A few days camping to find out what I am missing an hour from home, then some bigger trips..

Just remembered I need gas for the genny...

Haha
Yukonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #4

I have a 2016 X213 and have camped in it on 13 separate trips for nearly 45 nights. The issues I've had (blown fuses mostly) aren't unique to the X213. I was totally new to having a TT so had to get used to many things (battery management, leveling, filling the fresh water tank, dumping the tanks, understanding the 12V and 120V electrical, etc). As for the gasket on the rear slide-out I've not had any issue. It's important to level the camper before extending the slide-out as I could imagine inadvertently getting the slope wrong so rain runs towards the cabin but it's not happened to us. I see other X213's around so think the negative salesman may have been attempting to steer you to something they had on their lot. Good luck!
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonman View Post
Very new owner of a new 2017 x213. I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow, and then we are off on our first trip. We like the idea of a bunk for each kid, and a (small) king size bed for us..

A few days camping to find out what I am missing an hour from home, then some bigger trips..

Just remembered I need gas for the genny...

Haha
Thanks a bunch! Would you mind posting a review after your first camping trip?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #6

No leaking from our 2017 X213. It got hammered on our trip to Iowa in May (heavy rain, small hail, wind), and had had a couple of heavy thunderstorms here at home with the slide closed. Be warned that the bunks are only for short folks.

Here it is ready to leave after our first night on the road on that Iowa trip.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #7

Another very happy X213 owner here. Been on about 20 trips over the past 14 months with very few problems. Little things like changing out the regulator, etc. Everything was covered under warranty and no issues with getting anything addressed.

Also have been in some serious rain and hailstorms. Zero leaks. Totally agree with the above poster that you want to make sure you are level if its going to rain a lot so rain isn't sitting against the slideout gasket.

The King bed is awesome, but its a short king. So if you are over 6ft tall prepare to either curl up or have your feet hang over the end of the bed. Its not a problem for my wife and I but I can see it being an issue for others. You do have to sleep with your head under a cabinet hanging on the wall at the head of the bed. This took a few head bumps to get used to, but then it no longer was an issue.

Recommended Improvements:
Install a cover over the bathroom fan vent so you can leave it open all the time
Replace the bathroom fan with a "Fantastic Fan" (the brand name) or something similar. Having an awesome bathroom fan makes a ton of difference in how fast you can cool down or air out your trailer
Bought a ladder for the bunk - you can buy aluminum ladders and just cut the end with a hack saw to size - super easy and it looks great. The ladder can be stowed while traveling.
I also added a battery on/off switch. The dealer installed it for me for like $50 when I bought my trailer so I didn't have to bother with it. Makes it nice for storage to just reach down to the batter case and turn off the trailer. No more battery drain while in storage!

Lots of other little stuff, like putting motion-sensor lights in the pantry and clothes cabinets, so when I open the door it lights up. But this is the big stuff for now...

The X213 is a great trailer because its small enough to tow and park in small spots but you still get all the room of a bigger trailer once the bed slides out.

Hope that helps
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #8

As I've already indicated, I have a 2016 X213 and am very happy. But, just to put it out there, you may want to look at the Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 too. My brother-in-law got one and the thing I do like about it is upon entering the camper is the large 'hangout' area. My wife and I aren't big TT entertainers but they like how the bunks are in the back. They typically leave their bed as a couch so it is nice that way cause it's a bit hard to pass someone by inside a X213. I can't speak to a Rockwood's quality, cost, etc.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #9

X213 2016

Another lover of X213... bought ours late summer last year.
have used it 6 times now or about 30 days non-consecutive.
More camping to come before winter sets in.
No slide out leaking issues but had minor problems so far.
1. Inline shut off valve to Hot Water tank leaked @ campsite. Replaced.
The valve was a manufacture defect. Pinched the gasket during assembly.
2. The water pump leaked first time use @ campsite. The out hose was not tight enough.
3. Electric tongue jack works on and off. Haven't looked at it yet. I think its a faulty switch..
That's it so far...
We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids. We have plenty of room. Great upgrade from our Tent Trailer!.
S/.
SwsOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #10

I have a 2011 X213 and have had no problems with it. Love the floorplan.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Thanks a bunch! Would you mind posting a review after your first camping trip?
I am on my 2nd trip now.

Bought memory foam for king bed, It makes a HUGE difference, My back was killing me with the 'bed' that comes with it.

Storage is really tight in the x213, you will have to come up with some creative ways and you will use everything, under the couch, and under the kitchen seats for sure.

The x213 pulled well behind my GMC Sierra 1500.. I had to slow down to save fuel however, it was really sucking it back if I maintained 100km/h... Also avoid cruise control as a tip if you haven't pulled before, it eats gasoline nom nom nom.

Over all good for my family of four.. Course I get to my father in-law's and see he just bought a brand new jayco toy hauler 43' with every bell and whistle and my x213 feels really small.. haha.

l
Yukonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #12

My question is directed at EV4D. I am discovering (again) that salespeople don't know their own products and will just tell you what you want to hear. Since you have an X213 and we are looking to buy a 2017 or 2018, wondered if you could answer these.. 1. Is some sort of bathroom fan installed on all models, and the "Fantastic Fan" an optional upgrade? 2. is the standard AC unit (13.5) roof mounted or do you have to get the 15K option to get the roof mount? We are looking to get our LAST travel trailer between right now and spring break and don't want to choose wrongly. The sales people try to switch you to what they have in stock, as you observed. But ours WILL BE an X213 with the options we want. Last one was a 2006 27BH. Towing with a 2012 Ram 1500 with 5.7.
PGPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #13

I have a 2016 x213 bought new in 16 and used for about 30 trips all over Ontario. We enjoyed it but are up grading to the slx 287. The 213 was very heavy once loaded with our gear as most the storage areas are in front of the axles putting a lot of weight on the tounge. We have issues with blowing fuses on hot days and the ac unit over heating. Loved the floor plan but when using the couch as a bed not a lot of room to pass by. The outside of the trailer faded extremely bad and very fast. But other than that we had no issues just need the extra room.
Truckerjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #14

X213 portable waste tank?

Hey there,
Any X213 owners out there that have a portable tank storage problem? Obviously there's no ladder, not much space under the slide out, and my truck is full of bikes. Anyone store them outside the trailer somehow? Thanks for any feedback!
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #15

RJ! I just came back from a long trip with my x213. I put my tank in the truck bed but installed a bolt on hitch to the bumper for a bike rack. You could do the same and put a hitch carrier on the bumper and store your tank.
pbois34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #16

My X213

We've had our X213 for 5 months now, have done several trips and just got back from a month on the Oregon Coast.

Just a few comments:
No leaks, tows very well and overall quite happy with it but there are a few short comings.
I first added a battery, we added foam to the mattresses and couch, I upgraded to a 3 speed reversible bath fan, flipped the axles and added shocks. I also built a screen door for the bunk door. Installed Oxygenics shower head and bought an indoor/outdoor thermometer with the outdoor sensor placed in the refrigerator. I also added 3 towel bars in the bath, 2 of them on the door.

My gripes:
The cabinetry gets a failing grade. There is very little of it and wasting a 21" space to mount a CD/radio is just stupid. The bath has a 14" x 21" upper cabinet on a 39" wall. WTH? I moved the clothes bar up and back 6" to get better access and it was now 3/4" too short- seriously out of square.

The water heater couldn't be farther from the bath and it vents right under 2 opening windows- another F.

The Hidden Fuse- WHY? It took a lot of investigation but there is a fuse outside near the tongue. We've blown it several times now and it cuts all battery power to the unit. What we figured out is it blows when you run the power tongue jack to the upper or lower limits. Carry spare 30amp blade fuses and mark your tongue ram so you don't reach it's limits.

Fresh water fill- It's hard to tell when you reach full. Last time I did it I watched the overflow tube and shut off the hose right when it started to drip. Not wanting to get water all over I put a 5 gallon bucket under it. It continued to FILL the 5 gallon bucket!?!?! Does it siphon from someplace? IDK.

We still like it we just thought it was designed by engineers who have never used a TT.
Calisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisdad View Post
We've had our X213 for 5 months now, have done several trips and just got back from a month on the Oregon Coast.

Just a few comments:
No leaks, tows very well and overall quite happy with it but there are a few short comings.
I first added a battery, we added foam to the mattresses and couch, I upgraded to a 3 speed reversible bath fan, flipped the axles and added shocks. I also built a screen door for the bunk door. Installed Oxygenics shower head and bought an indoor/outdoor thermometer with the outdoor sensor placed in the refrigerator. I also added 3 towel bars in the bath, 2 of them on the door.

My gripes:
The cabinetry gets a failing grade. There is very little of it and wasting a 21" space to mount a CD/radio is just stupid. The bath has a 14" x 21" upper cabinet on a 39" wall. WTH? I moved the clothes bar up and back 6" to get better access and it was now 3/4" too short- seriously out of square.

The water heater couldn't be farther from the bath and it vents right under 2 opening windows- another F.

The Hidden Fuse- WHY? It took a lot of investigation but there is a fuse outside near the tongue. We've blown it several times now and it cuts all battery power to the unit. What we figured out is it blows when you run the power tongue jack to the upper or lower limits. Carry spare 30amp blade fuses and mark your tongue ram so you don't reach it's limits.

Fresh water fill- It's hard to tell when you reach full. Last time I did it I watched the overflow tube and shut off the hose right when it started to drip. Not wanting to get water all over I put a 5 gallon bucket under it. It continued to FILL the 5 gallon bucket!?!?! Does it siphon from someplace? IDK.

We still like it we just thought it was designed by engineers who have never used a TT.
Thank you, Calisdad.
We never even got the chance to look at these in person so we did not purchase this model.

I'm glad we didn't. I think the lack of storage for sewer implements, fresh water hoses, chocks, etc. would have been a real problem for us.

We bought the Jayflight 26bh.
The only downside was the greater length, but we have learned to manage.
It has everything else we want, and it cost less.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Old 08-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #18

Octopus Prime, I hope I didn't mislead anyone.

The discharge hose stows nicely in the rear bumper like so many others.
I made a tote for jack pads and they stow with the chock blocks under the lower bunk and are easily accessed from the drivers side cargo door.
On the passenger side I installed a shelf for the fresh water hose and there is plenty of room under it for tools, TV cable, cordless drill for the jacks, and misc locks and straps.
My beef was with the lack of interior cabinet space.
We are getting there. Yesterday I installed a coffee, tea and paper towel dispenser shelf under the TV.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #19

Rear slide out

Has anyone had any issues with their rear slide out on the x213 ? Mine is not fully opening after only 5 uses. It’s almost like the motor is not strong enough or has gotten weaker. It doesn’t do the clicking sound and there’s 2 inches to close. I called service but it’s a while until they can look at it and they didn’t want to give much of a time frame as to how long they would have it.(RV Canada)
Sleepsinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #20

I heard they upgraded the motor but don't have specifics.

First hing I would do is check your batteries are topped off or use shore power.
Then I'd check for obstructions- a pillow or curtain in the way?
After that I'd check the power connection to the motor.

Ours works fine but does seem to strain a bit.

best of luck