Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #21

Google Play store has an RV checklist app. It's helpful.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #22

Our Jayco Jayflight was also 10 years old when we traded it on the Motorhome, and we never had a slide motor problem. HOWEVER, we did have both the batteries stolen once, and had to bring the slide in manually. Fortunately, the socket for the manual crank was under the couch, and it could all be done from the inside. WHEW!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&BOlsen View Post
snip...... I was told I would have to remove a section of the belly pan to access the motor and then turn a bolt-head by ratchet wrench. ........snip
Glen,

Hopefully there shouldn't be a need while your camping..., but I would recommend that your RV dealer show you the actual slide motor location by removing the existing access panel. If there isn't a cut-out access panel already in place have the dealer install one, you don't want to deal with this task at a later date.

Also, confirm that your TT OEM slide manual states the directional rotation (clockwise/counter clockwise) for manual operation of the motor to open/close the slide...., knowing this will avoid any additional damage to the drive mechanism.

My slide has been working just fine for 10 years, but I did pull my access panel off a couple of years ago just to take a look inside, everything was solid.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:56 AM   #24

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. I may still call Jayco to get their take on all this. I may also explain that if the best they can come up with is to go through the process described to me, then they need to hire some new engineers who can come up with a better system. One idea; provide an access door (trap door?) from the inside with an led light fixture in the vacinity.
Glen
G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #25

Sorry about the SOP for the emergency retraction of the slide but it only comes into play in an "emergency". Changing a tire in the rain on the side of the road is likewise not a pleasant experience, but it to is only done in an emergency situation.

I had an emergency situation on a recent return trip from the south. As dusk set in on our first overnite, I noticed I didn't have any trailer lites. By luck I pulled in to a very friendly RV lot and a tech found a loose ground in the metal junction box mounted on the tongue under the battery shelf. The tech was laying in the rain/muddy gravel as he toiled to find and repair the fault. The thought might be "what was Jayco thinking" to place this junction box in such difficult location, but then again you might ask how and under what circumstance would you ever have need to access the wiring in the box other than in an emergency.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote