Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #1

Our 1st PDI ever...

Hello Friends,
We're going to do our PDI for our brand new Whitehawk 27DSRL tomorrow morning. Are there any areas we should pay particular attention to? We are working with a very good local dealer and I have no doubt any issues will be properly addressed. But it is still nice to go in with a sense of where "trouble spots" may be lurking. I should add that this is our first TT and while we are excited about it, we are also a bit apprehensive that we may overlook something important.
Thank you in advance...
Glen & Bev
G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #2

Two things I can think of. Either video tape it, or take really good notes. And there are no stupid questions, only the ones you don't ask.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #3

Google RV checklist, there are several printable PDI checklist that cover EVERYTHING to check and how. Keep in mind that it's your money buying the unit, not the dealers'. Any issues that are found should be fixed immediately if possible, if not get an agreement in writing of when they will be fixed before signing off on the unit. Don't be pressured to sign off before the inspection is completed and YOU are satisfied. It's called a PRE-DELIVERY inspection for a reason.
Good Luck and Congrats on the unit...
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #4

May want to take a friend who is not part of the deal and ask him/her to look at the unit with a fine tooth comb. He will not see things thru the rosie glasses that a new owner might and is in a better position to notice flaws that you might miss. Like another poster said, it is your money and once the unit is driven off the lot you loose a lot of leverage with the dealer. The friend could also handle the video while you listen and learn. The PDI is a bigger deal than most people give it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #5

Newb here - whats a PDI?
Old 04-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #6

PDI = Pre-Delivery Inspection.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #7

See this link for some info. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: PDI Checklist for NEW 2015 model from dealer

Your dealer, regardless of how "good", will only spend a minimal amount of time for the PDI. The dealer's goal is to go over some basic "stuff" and then have you sign the paperwork. Your goal is to take your time and inspect everything, even it means you'll inspect some things on your own time and inform the dealer when you're done. Congrats on your new TT ... Enjoy!
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBadger View Post
PDI = Pre-Delivery Inspection.
Ahh thank you!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Another PDI reference:

JOF PDI: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...t-18379-2.html

Just select the items that pertain to your type of RV.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #10

When we bought our first TT, it was recommended by a friend to video it for later references. It was a good idea, but somehow in my excitement I had forgotten to charge the battery in it. OOPS! The good thing about it was that the dealer was courteous enough to answer questions about everything that I had forgotten.
Poppy
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #11

PDI Walk thru...

Before we traded up to the motorhome, we had a Jayco JayFlight 25RKS, and...

Our dealer was GREAT!

When we got there, everything was running or powered up, so that we could see that the AC, water heater, microwave, TV, water pump, etc. were working properly. They had a "new owner" bag of stuff ready for us... hats, mugs, toilet paper, tank chemicals, tee shirts, etc.

The Lady who did the walk thru with us had a roll of blue painters tape with her. Anything that we found that wasn't right got a little piece of blue tape stuck to it, so that it would be fixed or replaced before we took delivery.

As part of the deal, we got them to throw in two installed 12 volt fans.... we were SO GLAD that we had them on many occasions!

Enjoy your new baby, and be safe!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #12

Our 27DSRL has been quite trouble free. If this is your first RV there is a lot to learn.

It will be very helpful to develop checklists for setting up and leaving your camp site; which is probably not a part of your PDI. (for example: making sure your TV antenna is down before you leave.)

Just note anything that is not working properly. Do drawers open an close properly, door to bathroom close properly and so on.

If you have a good dealer, he will take care of you.

Have fun
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

Make sure it's hooked up to water and check every connection for hot and cold water to make sure their tight. Fill hot water tank and turn on electric and during the PDI check for hot water and leaks. Take a tester with you to make sure all electrical outlets work.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:15 AM   #14

Make sure they show you where all the essential items are. Converter, water heater, water heater by pass valves and their operation, water pump and the suction hose use and its valves, all low point drains and how they operate. The owners manuals supplied by the manufacturers do a very poor job showing you where these things are located. Have them demonstrate what EVERY switch does.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBadger View Post
See this link for some info. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: PDI Checklist for NEW 2015 model from dealer

Your dealer, regardless of how "good", will only spend a minimal amount of time for the PDI. The dealer's goal is to go over some basic "stuff" and then have you sign the paperwork. Your goal is to take your time and inspect everything, even it means you'll inspect some things on your own time and inform the dealer when you're done. Congrats on your new TT ... Enjoy!
We printed this one out, but somewhere else (this forum? Forest River's?) we found one that was several pages long, and very, very detailed. We're also going to take the advice to let the dealer know we expect the PDI to take at least 2 hours, probably 3, and maybe more. We will be taking notes and lots of pix, plus some video.

Alas, we have several more weeks to wait before we get to that point, but boy, will we be ready!
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #16

I said it on another thread. When it comes to your PDI, the best recommendation I can make:
No matter how nice the dealer is, or how much you trust them. Document, document document. If there are any issues, even the smallest issue, get pictures and insist on getting the solution in writing. Do not let the dealer/techs talk you out of it, do not let them slide. Get pictures and document.

This may seem rude or harsh, and realistically, you probably won't have any problems whatsoever. Yet, if you do you will be glad down the road if you got stuff in writing and had documentation.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #17

Thank you everyone, for your excellent advice. Went through the trailer yesterday. Generally very nice. Furnace did not work properly, so we signed nothing and they will be repairing it. I'm a little concerned about the information regarding pulling in the slide if the motor doesn't work for some reason. I was told I would have to remove a section of the belly pan to access the motor and then turn a bolt-head by ratchet wrench. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What if it were raining out? Does Jayco think I'm going to lie on my back in the mud undoing a part of the belly pan? I'll be calling Jayco Customer Service on Monday to hear their explanation. The only other minor issue we saw was that the shower walls "bubbled" away from the shower pan where they join. I could feel that there was some tacky material behind the wall that is probably supposed to hold the wall tight against the pan. I'll be asking Jayco how critical it is that the wall is snug against the pan, or if this is merely cosmetic.
Otherwise all seems to be in very nice working order.
Thanks again for the info. I'll let you know when we get the trailer home.
Glen
G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

Jayco will tell you"sense your camping outside you won't mind a little mud". The motors are all on the underside and with a little luck you'll never have to do it. As far as rain goes you can't avoid it, so what I did was put 2 command hooks in the shower to hang my wet clothes.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&BOlsen View Post
Thank you everyone, for your excellent advice. Went through the trailer yesterday. Generally very nice. Furnace did not work properly, so we signed nothing and they will be repairing it. I'm a little concerned about the information regarding pulling in the slide if the motor doesn't work for some reason. I was told I would have to remove a section of the belly pan to access the motor and then turn a bolt-head by ratchet wrench. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What if it were raining out? Does Jayco think I'm going to lie on my back in the mud undoing a part of the belly pan? I'll be calling Jayco Customer Service on Monday to hear their explanation. The only other minor issue we saw was that the shower walls "bubbled" away from the shower pan where they join. I could feel that there was some tacky material behind the wall that is probably supposed to hold the wall tight against the pan. I'll be asking Jayco how critical it is that the wall is snug against the pan, or if this is merely cosmetic.
Otherwise all seems to be in very nice working order.
Thanks again for the info. I'll let you know when we get the trailer home.
Glen
Sounds like you did it right.
IF your slide malfunctions, and it can't be repaired the only choice anyone has is to manually crank it in. Unfornutately there's only certain places to mount the motors and it's usually underneath the coach. Unless you're on the move constantly the slide motors are really a low use item, our last unit was 10 years old and they were still trouble free when we sold it.

Enjoy!!!
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&BOlsen View Post
What if it were raining out? Does Jayco think I'm going to lie on my back in the mud undoing a part of the belly pan?
Glen
I keep a couple of large sheets of cardboard in the rear storage compartment and an old throw rug rolled up in one of the smaller bins. If I need to get under the Greyhawk and it's dry, I use the rug. If it is wet, I use a sheet of cardboard and just toss it when done. Neither takes up much room nor adds significant weight.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote