Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #1

Our 322FKS is on sale!! Seriously considering it!!

Sandy and I have owned our current 25RKS for the past three years. I wanted to purchase the 322FKS, but she REALLY wanted the 25RKS we have now.
We found out from our dealer that the 322FKS is on "Clearance Sale".
Here is a link to the dealer clearance website.
http://www.hilltoptrailers.com/Page....er-322FKS.aspx

Now I have Sandy seriously considering this offer. Here is the only problem:
We are leaving for Black Hills South Dakota at the end of July. We would rather wait to pull the trigger on this deal after we come back from South Dakota. Sandy would prefer to have it for the trip. My F150 will have a tough time pulling this trailer, so we would need to upgrade the Truck just to upgrade the trailer. Do I really want to do all this BEFORE we go to South Dakota? I know you can not answer this for me, but I am asking you what you think of this price?
$10,000.00 off seems pretty good, but I bet I could get the price even lower.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #2

Wow! Sudden opportunities sure can be draining especially when timing sucks! Having to upgrade a new truck is definitely a lot on your plate, but sounds like you may have 3 weeks to research/negotiate??

We have always heard it said (not that it's necesarily true mind you) that if you can purchase a new vehicle for 20-24% off MSRP or buy an RV for 30% off MSRP, then you have done the best possible (before taxes/fees). That's the rule of thumb when/if we purchase new. (Find by subracting asking price from MSRP. Take the difference and divide the MSRP into that...). One way to do this is to work through the "fleet manager" rather than a salesperson. The other thing that we hear folks do is that they will check what the current re-sale for the exact same model/options "used" NADA(.com) is on the particular new rv you are lookiing at. If you can get the dealer to go to what you would sell it for if you turned around and sold it tomorrow, then you did very well (we actually use this criteria also). We actually wound up with 21% off our truck last year and 30% off MSRP on our tt.

Happy shopping Daryl!!!!

Hope this helps!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #3

If you can deal him down more then go for it... Our biggest regrets are what we did NOT do.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #4

Thats his advertised reduced price and he's still making a profit. The less you have to spend on the trailer the more you'll have for the tow vehicle. Besides the market is in your favor.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #5

Wow. That's quite a trailer...and quite a quandary to be in. Timing is everything but you can think of it this way - you now know how much a dealer would be willing to drop his price. So, wait out; upgrade your tow vehicle then search around for a new trailer after you get back from SD.

And I agree - our biggest regrets are what we don't do - but sometimes patience pays off too....

Me? I'm conservative and cheap. Don't put pressure on yourself. Good things come to those who wait.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #6

McMonk gives some good advise IMO. I also agree with others in that you can probably get the price down some if you do your homework, then go in and make a reasonable offer. It seems to me that most units have at least a 40% markup, maybe less on this deal (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) so there's room for the dealer to come down. One last thought, if you're going to South Dakota the end of July it seems to me you've got little time to get a new truck plus get any bugs worked out of the trailer. In my opinion you should try to work out a good deal but buy the truck and trailer after you return from your trip.

OK, that's my 2-cents worth. Good luck and enjoy the trip!
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #7

Daryl and Sandy,

Haste Makes Waste is more than a trite phrase foisted upon us by parents and teachers.

In 2007 we bought a new travel trailer at an excellent price without researching the towing capacity of our existing tow vehicle on mountain trips. We ended up needing a more powerful tow vehicle.

To add insult to injury, we bought a 6.0L gasoline engine in a new tow vehicle that was rated to easily tow our new trailer in the Rocky Mountains. We discovered too late that the gas mileage while towing was only 6-7 mpg.

Lessons Learned: 1) Don't buy a heavier trailer without checking the ability of your tow vehicle to tow it wherever you plan to travel, 2) don't buy a gasoline engine when a diesel engine is superior for the job at hand and 3) research thoroughly before investing thousands of dollars in equipment that you will be using for years to come.

Sadly, we do not take the long trips we planned to take with the trailer because of the expense of towing our trailer.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #8

One thing to keep in mind if you bite on the trailer and have to purchase a new tow vehicle just before your trip...that, at least with GM, there is a recommended vehicle break in period before towing. Last year we had to delay a weekend trip after we bought a new suburban because we needed to have a so many mile break in period.
Jaycojenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #9

UPDATE!!!!!

As you may recall from my original post, we are leaving for South Dakota. We are leaving this Saturday. We debated if we should take on the higher trailer payment and an extra payment for the truck (current truck was paid for at time of purchase) and get this all done BEFORE we leave for South Dakota.

So, we have elected to wait until we finish this years camping season and see if this trailer is still available. If at that time it is available, we will trade or sell the current F150 and get an F350.
We would trade our 2007 JayFlight 25RKS in for the Eagle 322FKS.
This may not take place until Oct., Nov or even Feb. 2011.
I wanted to say "THANK YOU" to all of you for your comments, suggestions and input.
Sorry to say that we have not joined the "Eagles Club" yet, but happy to say that we will and always be a Jayco Family Member!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #10

could not edit the last message in time. Here is what I wanted to say:

Sorry to say that we have not joined the "Eagles Club" yet, but PROUD to say that we are and always will be a Jayco Family Member!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #11

What a great time you will have on your vacation not having to worry about this anymore! Any chance that you would consider selling your tt on your own now that you have more time? Typically you can get more for it on your own if you don't mind taking some time to do it yourself. Happy travels to South Dakota!!!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #12

Hey...good on ya! Have fun in South Dakota!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote