Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2015, 10:44 PM   #1

Our camper was broken into. Security?

Our storage lot was hit by a ring of thieves. They have hit 4 lots in 3 weeks including camping world's lot. They hit 13 campers on our lot. All the newer ones. They pried the doors open and took all electronics. Got tvs, Blu Ray players, game systems stuff like that. We lost a tv, PS3 and lots of PS3 games and Blu rays. Our door also has a big bend by the door handle where they pried it open. We are upset and wondering if anyone has added some kind of security to their camper to protect it in storage? No clue what the door repair will be but I'm guessing our loss is around our deductible.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #2

Sorry bummer. Nothing can prevent a determined thief. Easy enough to knock out a window. The only way to stop people like that is a good security system at the location where you store the unit, Didn't they have a locked gate? good lighting? cameras? I'd be asking the storage lot owner and finding a new place if need be.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #3

Locked gate, 10 foot fence with barbed wire, lights but no cameras. Thieves toss a rug over the barb wire per the cops. One group goes in and grabs the electronics and hand them over the fence to the guys that load it. This is per the cop. I'm wondering about any security I can add to the camper to deter more. I thought we had one of the more secure lots in town
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #4

Some type of good audible alarm is about the best hope you have. If you can tie something in to the door opening with a short delay to disarm it when you enter. A noisy alarm will send most intruders running. So thankful I have always been able to set my units up on my property!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #5

A loud audible alarm may help, but unless it is somehow installed to detect early methods of break-in the doors or windows will still be damaged. A self contained loud audible motion detector type alarm isn't very expensive should you decide that it is worth the effort/cost. Another cheap method is to place burglar alarm warning stickers prominently on the trailer. That can help whether there is really an alarm or not. "Walk like a duck."

As has been said, there is really no way to secure an RV/travel trailer which is stored unoccupied. The unfortunate truth is that the first line of defense for preventing any damage to your RV is the storage facility security measures. Anything else usually stops the entry process after the damage has already occurred. There are few storage areas which have a level of security which will stop a determined band of thieves in an urban area.

I suggest finding a rural area farmer who rents storage space. Nobody likes traveling on country roads with stolen goods. It's a plus if the owner has this sign in his front yard. Your trailer will likely never be at risk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SafeAct-photo.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	20335

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #6

I do not leave any electronics on the TT when in storage. I know it's a pain to remove the TVs and put them back in for a weekend trip but I don't have to worry about paying a deductible (depending on the damage they do getting in) or have to pay to replace the stolen items. They can break in my TT but they will not leave with much.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

I got thinking about taking the time to remove anything valuable from the trailer. It does save the loss of those items, but it does nothing to keep someone from breaking in.

It may help to place a prominently displayed sign on the door with something like "All electronics, money and valuables have been removed for storage. The security alarm inside is active." It may not help, but I don't see any real downside.

vic
Old 09-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #8

I recommend a trip wire and a claymore.
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #9

How is the TV removed from it's mount? I noticed that there is a loop of wire below the TV, is this related to the mount? Any help would be appreciated.
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #10

The owner of my storage lot just installed cameras recently. This coupled with the coded gate gave me more peace of mind. Our storage lot also has someone living on it. Not that she would be a whole lot of trouble for a thief, being that she's about a buck-10 soaking wet, but the deterrent is there, and she has a big mean-looking dog and a phone, so this target is a little harder!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
I recommend a trip wire and a claymore.
Just remember.

Front Toward Enemy

vic
Old 09-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote: