Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #1

Our first long trip planning

We are leaving on our first long trip next week in our new to us Jayfeather. Being new to RV ing I hope I get everything right. A few questions.

The black water tank is perhaps 1/3 full of liquid waste from occasional use at home, I will dump it before we leave. Should I leave it empty or add a little water?
I sanitized the fresh water tanks when we got the trailer in June, should I do it again before we leave?
Any problen with running with a little water in the fresh water tank, beside the added weight?
Do most people put the fridge on a couple of days before they leave and travel with it turned off, hot water the same?

Thanks for the help.
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Team

I would put a couple gallons in the black tank just for sloshing and also we like to have 4-5 gallons of fresh water for flushing when we stop at rest areas or for rinsing a plate after a meal on the road.

Pre cool the fridge a day or so before loading it and let it run on gas while traveling. Or not depending on how paranoid you are about it.

Fill the hw tank and leave it off while traveling.

Sanitizing is not necessary except once or twice a season unless the rig sits unused. First stop with sewer hookups you can flush the pipes and water heater and all will be well.

We always carry drinking water from home or purchase it at reverse osmosis venders on the road.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:51 AM   #3

^^^ what Norty said
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss10 View Post
We are leaving on our first long trip next week in our new to us Jayfeather. Being new to RV ing I hope I get everything right. A few questions.

The black water tank is perhaps 1/3 full of liquid waste from occasional use at home, I will dump it before we leave. Should I leave it empty or add a little water?
I sanitized the fresh water tanks when we got the trailer in June, should I do it again before we leave?
Any problen with running with a little water in the fresh water tank, beside the added weight?
Do most people put the fridge on a couple of days before they leave and travel with it turned off, hot water the same?

Thanks for the help.
Check the rest areas early in your trip. Many these days have dump stations. Pulling for bit with a partially filled tank is fine.

I would not worry about flushing the fresh tank. Maybe fill about half full and drain just to flush out water that has been sitting in the tank.

We always tow with the fresh tank about 1/4 filled so we have water for flushing, coffee etc for overnites on the trip.

I turn the fridge on at least 24 hours early and load it with some pre cooled food. Also freeze any meat etc you might be taking and so that the rv fridge doesn't have to start from scratch. Fridge on while traveling but water heater off. The hot water tank will stay hot for several hours once it is heated. No need to keep it on while on the road.

Enjoy the first long trip. Don't fret about the details, there is a Walmart close.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote