Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2015, 05:29 AM   #1

Our Maiden Voyage was a success...

Just got back from 4 days at the Pinery (Ontario, Canada)
It was a great trip.
Towing on the way there was white knuckled but uneventful, NO sway, trailer was level to truck, truck handled well. Big 18 wheelers passed me and I didn't notice it...
Trip HOME was very windy...the trailer did not sway at all, but the entire rig was noticeably moved by the winds...not whole lot, I stayed in my lane LOL but I definitely felt the "tug and pull"...white knuckled for sure...
Was wondering if maybe I had my friction control sway bar adjusted a tad too tight??

When we got there, I was directed (by new employee I assume) down the WRONG road to get to my camp site...it was a tent only area...and I got to a point where I could not go any further...wtf...my wife got out and basically directed/spotted for me while I backed out, around turns, up and down small hills, around trees...probably a good 100 yards before I got to a site where I could back in to turn around and drive the rest of the way out...I am now an expert at backing in my trailer...my wife earned several brownie points and didn't have to get ONE beer herself the entire trip lol

The jayco performed well..we used the furnace and the a/c...the only problem I had was the water heater wouldn't lite...turn the switch on and the starter clicked by no gas...my buddy (heating and cooling guy) smacked it with a rubber mallet a couple times and it lit right up...worked all weekend without fail...

all in all a very good trip...a little concerned with having to tow this again on a windy day...
Old 05-26-2015, 06:52 AM   #2

Congrats. Sounds like a very eventful and successful first voyage.

Every time I go out, I need to light the stove first to bleed air out of the lines before the fridge or hot water tank will light. try that befor hammer next time.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
Congrats. Sounds like a very eventful and successful first voyage.

Every time I go out, I need to light the stove first to bleed air out of the lines before the fridge or hot water tank will light. try that befor hammer next time.
Thanks for the tips...I did light the stove first...same thing I used to do with out pop up before lighting the hot water heater by hand...didn't work

heating and cooling friend said it should work fine now without the hammer lol...said sometimes in new furnaces things stick, but now that I used it all weekend it should be fine...if I have to hammer it again its going in for service for sure
Old 05-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottraycraft View Post
Just got back from 4 days at the Pinery (Ontario, Canada)
It was a great trip.

Towing on the way there was white knuckled but uneventful, NO sway, trailer was level to truck, truck handled well. Big 18 wheelers passed me and I didn't notice it...
Why it was 'white knuckled' when uneventful & no sway?

Trip HOME was very windy...the trailer did not sway at all, but the entire rig was noticeably moved by the winds...not whole lot, I stayed in my lane LOL but I definitely felt the "tug and pull"...white knuckled for sure...
Was wondering if maybe I had my friction control sway bar adjusted a tad too tight??
Having the whole rig move as a unit should be expected; especially when it is windy. You will notice, too, that the direction the wind is blowing will make a difference (if you are passed on the left and the wind is from the left, the passing vehicle will block the wind.. that will feel to you like a pull to the left).

You could try reducing the sway control friction a bit, but you might just then encounter sway PLUS the "tug and pull" - not good!

...snip...
all in all a very good trip...a little concerned with having to tow this again on a windy day...
If you can, please let us know why the 'white knuckles'. To me that means you felt you were not in control
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
If you can, please let us know why the 'white knuckles'. To me that means you felt you were not in control
no...just nervous...I relaxed after a bit