Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #1

Outdoor cooking for X23B

I have a X23B with an outdoor grill. However, I do most of my cooking on the indoor stove top. I find it easier, when using pots and pans, to cook over individual elements instead of a BBQ style long element/burner. Is there an outside cooking option (with individual elements) for use outside of the trailer? It would be nice to enjoy the great outdoors while cooking. I know I could just get a simple coleman stove, but I was wondering if there was an option to use a similar appliance that attaches to the trailer and its gas supply.

Thanks for any assistance,

KillbearCamper
KillbearCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #2

First of all - welcome to the Forum! If you have a chance, come on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself.

There are several models of outdoor stoves that have mounting kits so they "hang" on the side of the trailer. I am not sure about the X23B, but many of the Jayco trailers have a stub underneath the trailer that allows for you to hook up gas appliances. If it does not, often times you can find a propane dealer that can do the work for you at a reasonable rate.

Personally I don't cook outside enough to make that worthwhile to me on a cost front. I have a portable two burner coleman propane stove that I just take out to the picnic table. Good price and multipurpose. I also refill my 1 lb cylinders so it does not cost me any more than running off the trailer propane.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #3

I have a 39,000 btu propane burner (round) that I got from Northern Tool. I use a long propane hose with a QD on the end to plug into the 23B's outdoor gas line. That lets me do my cooking outdoors and away from the trailer. Otherwise you get bacon grease/smoke on the trailer and under the awning not to mention the effects of the heat.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I have a 39,000 btu propane burner (round) that I got from Northern Tool. I use a long propane hose with a QD on the end to plug into the 23B's outdoor gas line. That lets me do my cooking outdoors and away from the trailer. Otherwise you get bacon grease/smoke on the trailer and under the awning not to mention the effects of the heat.
I know a lot of people talk about cooking inside the trailer and the smell. We always run our range hood fan when cooking things like this and it has never been a problem for us. Maybe my nose is not as sensitive....everyone once in a while I can smell it an hour or two later, but never much longer.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #5

I purchased a Camp Chef stove from Big 5 paid around 75 for it. It has two large burners and ties in nicely with the adapter hose to the camper. Just remember to not use a regulator that comes with it since you are already regulated from the onboard propane setup.

Nice thing about the Camp Chef is that it will put out some serious BTU's to get that water boiling at higher elevations.

Plus its nice to be able to go outside early in the morning to do all the coffee and breakfast work without wandering around the camper, making noise and waking the wife up. :hihi:

Regards,

NS.
NetStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #6

I just picked up my new Jayco 19RD in Ellensburg, WA. It has the outside grill that mounts to the side of the TT. Looks like an awesome setup. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Gas line quick connect to the external outlet from propane. Of course, also some external speakers for some great music while grilling.

We do like our steaks on the grill. Not sure anything beats a 2 inch thick filet mignon wrapped in bacon grilled on the Bar B Que. Unfortunately the temps were down in the 20s when we picked up the TT so the outside grill will wait until spring.
Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
Site Team

The ultimate outside grill, for flavor that is.
Attached Thumbnails
Fall 2011 camping and vacation 009.jpg  
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #8

Lee, no crabs on the side???
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:07 AM   #9

Our Jayco Eagle Superlite came with the outdoor grill and I was hesitant at first thinking that it was way too close to the side of the trailer. I was wrong. The grill works great and the grill sits far enough away from the side of the trailer so the wall doesn't even get warm to the touch. It's a great grill!
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LT3[/:hihi:COLOR]
[/SIGPIC]
malaglot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaglot View Post
snip......The grill works great and the grill sits far enough away from the side of the trailer so the wall doesn't even get warm to the touch. It's a great grill!
Mag,

After seeing a few in use from a distance, I often wondered about the heat on the outer wall.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #11

I really don't like the idea of smoking up the side of the trailer. Awning companies also do not reccomend BBQ's under the awnings.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Lee, no crabs on the side???
Sad to say but CRAB season is over til March.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The ultimate outside grill, for flavor that is.
There is nothing better in my eyes that a good thick steak cooked over a hot oak campfire! mmmm......

Not to got tooooooo far off topic ... but we cook a good steak like that about 2 days into camping and then the next night have a big fijita bar with the leftovers....add a few good Coronas or some Margaritas and there aint nothing better.

Ok --- back on topic before Crabman gets onto me.....

Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
There is nothing better in my eyes that a good thick steak cooked over a hot oak campfire! mmmm......

Not to got tooooooo far off topic ... but we cook a good steak like that about 2 days into camping and then the next night have a big fijita bar with the leftovers....add a few good Coronas or some Margaritas and there aint nothing better.

Ok --- back on topic before Crabman gets onto me.....
OFF TOPIC infraction issued, one demerit
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #15

Killbearcamper-- You could get a stove top from a pup that will mount to the bracket on the tt. You could also put it on a table with a hole drilled for the gas line. Be sure that the stove you get has a shield to keep the heat off of the tt wall. The way our RVQ II mounts there is a foot of space between the tt wall and the grill but the pup's have the stoves right next to the sides. Larry
Old 12-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #16

Thanks

Thanks for all the great ideas! I went and checked out the Camp Chef website and they have some pretty neat cooking solutions that should work for me.

Happy Holidays

KillbearCamper
KillbearCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #17

We are anxiously awaiting the samples.....I like my filet mignon medium...thx!

Old 08-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #18

My wife did not want to cook in our trailer, as it presents cleaning issues. I was not able to find any stoves as options for our x23b, so I went on line and purchased a used stove like the one we used on our old pop-up. The mounting rail is identical and the gas quick disconnect is as well. I had to make a bracket to hold the lower brace, but it works like a charm. The only down-side is that the original mounting rail on the x23b is about a foot higher than we would like.

I hope this helps
Bobmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #19

When we bought our 23, the grill and quick connect was included. It took us awhile to enjoy cooking on the grill, as we were mostly used to cooking on a fire. After a bit of time, we figured out the difference and now load it up with meat and veggie or potato packs. (foil, butter, seasoning, etc). Now it's our main stay, and just feels a little more like camping than the indoor stove. We also bought an electric skillet that we set up outside. Great for fish, but grandkids love cooking together over the skillet. (hard to have 3 kids inside kitchen). We use if mostly for breakfast stuff.
marciaandre is offline   Reply With Quote