Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Outside trailer SMELL. Help!

Standing outside, on entry door side, my trailer has the strangest oder. Not black or gray tank at all. It's like it's coming from underneath but can't pin point it. It runs the entire length of the trailer. It's not a mold or musty smell. So- I've washed the trailer from top to bottom. No change. You can NOT smell it inside the trailer. My trailer is hurricane tied-down. Has not moved in 9 years. I've only had it for 3. ( smell just started a few months ago ) It's just occurred to me tonight it might be the fresh water tank?? I've never used it. Perhaps it should be filled and emptied? ( flushed ) If so- how do I do that? Also- the wheels are covered with white vinyl covers. Is it possible the wheels are causing the Oder? However- up close I can't detect any smell coming directly from the tires etc... hope someone has an answer- it's so bad it makes me want to sell my trailer.
zernalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #2

I wonder if you have a little animal that made a home in the insulation under ypur trailer and it died and the smell is the decay...?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Claytonbwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #3

You likely have a dead critter, or a very smelly live one living somewhere.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:28 AM   #4

Not dead critter

Pretty sure it's not an animal. I have a farm & house so know about mice & barn critters etc... This trailer Oder is more like a sour smell... Not in one area ... More like a wafting depending on where your standing outside next to trailer. Don't really smell it on the street side of the trailer..
Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #5

It's not propane is it? Tanks are off and you still smell it?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #6

Not propain- no tanks- I even removed the house battery as I had one blow up in my truck camper years ago... had an awful smel too... right before the explosion...
This is quite a mystery- when I approach the trailer the smell hits you about 5-6 feet from the trailer- however- walking around the unit it's really bad when rounding the front. I've sniffed everything... nearby plants, plastics underneath ( sure neighborhood thinks I've lost it ��) I just washed the roof & did not smell anything at that time- will go up there again and investigate- it's had some new leaks ( all caulked now ) my fear is that water/moisture has been gathering in the walls and sub floor & it's a mold or trapped dampness- but there again- no smell at all inside- I sniffed the potable water tank this am. No smell what so ever- I have powerwashed the complete concrete pad under & surrounding the unit- I used 1 gallon of bleach & buckets of water on all concrete- ( thinking it might be some weird Florida mold or other ) had zero effect. Please note - this is southwest Florida- hot and lots of rain these days- the smell was here last winter / spring tho... ahhhhhhh! ��