Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

P-Trap odor

Due illness, we haven't got to travel in a couple of months. Although I have three top vents open, I noticed a sour garbage smell. Traced it down to standing gray water in my p-traps. They had a sticky white scum in the bottom. Another item that needs to be added to my ever growing list.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

pour some bleach in the trap
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
pour some bleach in the trap
Ditto, sorta.

Re-sanitize the freshwater system. That process will kill anything the grey water system as well.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #4

I've had the bath tub trap dry out during the summer even after a couple weeks, and let the smell in.

Ross..
Old 05-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoW View Post
I've had the bath tub trap dry out during the summer even after a couple weeks, and let the smell in.

Ross..
This. When we go long periods between use I will dump about a 1/4 gal of water in the tub, toilet, and sink.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #6

Traps eventually dry out, letting sewer gasses back into the room. You might want to consider replacing the P-traps with HepVO waterless valves. They have a silicon, duckbill one-way valve that doesn't depend on a tiny pool of water to block sewer gasses.

Since the HepVO is self venting, you can also remove the AAVs (Air Admittance Valve) and cap or plug off the pipe they are on. AAVs are a valve that replaces the vent pipe that runs to the roof and are popular in RVs because they are cheaper and easier to install, especially where it would be difficult to run a vent pipe to the roof. Sadly, AAVs frequently fail and are a source of mysterious sewer gas odors in a home or RV.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #7

We have narrowed down our "mystery odor problem" to likely being a dry p-trap. I poured water down the stand pipe where we could install a washing machine in our garage/bedroom area of the toy hauler.

I looked down and only see straight pipe though. Is it safe to assume that Jayco would put a p-trap in on that pipe? The smell is awful, even if only off the kitchen's grey tank.... It seems to emanate when we do dishes, so for me, confirming a p-trap type issue.

Hoping I fixed it by pouring water down there, but about to leave today for extended dry camping and concerned about having to live with this stench for an extended period....
goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenroads View Post
We have narrowed down our "mystery odor problem" to likely being a dry p-trap. I poured water down the stand pipe where we could install a washing machine in our garage/bedroom area of the toy hauler.

I looked down and only see straight pipe though. Is it safe to assume that Jayco would put a p-trap in on that pipe? The smell is awful, even if only off the kitchen's grey tank.... It seems to emanate when we do dishes, so for me, confirming a p-trap type issue.

Hoping I fixed it by pouring water down there, but about to leave today for extended dry camping and concerned about having to live with this stench for an extended period....
Why not just cap that pipe till you need it. No worry about water in the P trap then.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #9

When we get home I can and will. Until then, trying to figure this out. There is a threaded cap on it and it's as tight as I can make it, but we had the odor return again today. A bit concerning......
goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote