Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #1

Parasitic draw on battery

MRB 20 Manual says not to leave it plugged in all the time while in storage or batt may get overcharged. But after a couple weeks unplugged, batt goes dead. No, brakes aren't on. Nothing is on. Other than co alarm. I figure all parasitic draw should be maybe .5A, but it's 7.5A! Pulled fuses one by one and found the 30A fuse labelled "Charge line, slide motor" is the culprit. With that fuse pulled, the draw is only about .5A. I wouldn't think the slide motor would do it.Can anyone tell me why the charger would?
Dgrdale2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Team

I have been leaving mine plugged in for 5 years now and it has never over charged the battery, which is original and the water is still full. These newer units are equipped with smart chargers that do not overcharge the battery. As for the parasitic draws, not sure about the usual amp draw numbers ( 7.5 amps is a lot, would that suggest a short?) but most owners report that after a week or two these draws will kill the battery if it is not disconnected. This has happened to me with this trailer and my previous one when forgetting to disconnect the battery if not connected to shore power.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #3

well I know the radio light in ours stays on .. I don't know how much it takes but if mine is sitting my battery is disconnected
Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #4

The electronics inside the converter/charger, it keeps track of the battery whether using shore power or not. There is probably a relay or diode set inside.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #5

I left my antenna booster once once and in a few weeks the battery was dead. Now I disconnect the negative post on the battery when I put it in storage.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
Site Team

My rig is always plugged in to something. The only time was this year I left it at a dealer for some work and in 3 weeks both batteries were dead and would not recharge.

I added a battery disconnect switch after that.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

Living here in rural MN, I learned long ago that when I store seasonal equip such as lawn tractor, corvette, etc. it pays to remove the battery completely and keep a small charger on them throughout the winter. Batteries last much longer, and I always have a fully charged battery when I'm ready to work or play.
Glen
G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #8

I always leave mine plugged in as well. I will check the water level on the battery every month to make sure it is good. But as Crabman stated the new campers are equiped with smart chargers and you shouldn't have a problem.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #9

yeah that got me to thinking ... I bet mine is killed from setting at the dealer all winter for warranty work ... I would be willing to bet they didn't disconnect it or take it out ... so now I have to replace it if that's the case ... that would sort of bite
Old 03-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #10

I don't know about over charging the battery. I pull the 30 amp fuse at the battery. Then the battery is fully disconnected from the tt. A disconnect switch will do the same thing.

There are a lot of parasite draws on the battery. A clamp on amp meter should help see what is happening.

Question about battery health, you do not say what you have for a camper or year. Deep cycle batteries need maintenance. You need to check the cells for water level every few months. If water is needed ONLY use DISTILLED water, and only fill to the bottom of the plastic insert.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #11

I use the disconnect swith whenever it's in storage. Solar array and controller keep it float charged. Also keep bottle of distiller water in power room and check periodically. I don't find monthly water is needed through, about every 60 days is about right for mine.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #12

To get back to the OP title 'Parasitic draw on battery' ... am I alone in thinking 7.5A he found is not the usual parasitic draw of things like radios and CO detectors?

If this were my trailer, I'd find the cause of that 7.5A draw. Something seems wrong to me to have that much draw. Am I off base in this??

To me, deciding to leave the trailer plugged in or not while in storage would be a secondary issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrdale2000 View Post
MRB 20 Manual says not to leave it plugged in all the time while in storage or batt may get overcharged. But after a couple weeks unplugged, batt goes dead. No, brakes aren't on. Nothing is on. Other than co alarm. I figure all parasitic draw should be maybe .5A, but it's 7.5A! Pulled fuses one by one and found the 30A fuse labelled "Charge line, slide motor" is the culprit. With that fuse pulled, the draw is only about .5A. I wouldn't think the slide motor would do it.Can anyone tell me why the charger would?
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #13

seems high to me ... I know the co detector takes a little but seems excessive ... like I said the backlight on our stereo stays lit and that's why I disconnect while not in use... with the tongue jack being electric I hate the thought of going to get it and having a dead battery... would make it a pain .. even at .5 amps figuring amp hours on battery over 3 or 4 weeks battery is going to be dead
Old 03-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #14

Thanks All!

Being new to the site I'm not sure if I am replying to you all who have answered my thread, but anyway, thank you all so much!
I have a 20MRB Whitehawk.
I have installed a 160 A/H Exide 4DMDC battery with 250 Reserve Hours.
I'm going to check the components on the 30 amp circuit and see which is the culprit and determine if that is normal if I have to contact the mnfturer. If it is, I'll install either a kill switch for that component, if practical, or a battery cut-off switch.
Dgrdale2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #15
Site Team

Yes, I agree that 7 amps is not a parasitic draw and needs attention but the only way to stop it is to open the battery manually or with a switch.

Some parasitic loads can't be turned off.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote