Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Question Parking a Travel Trailer @ a permenant site

I have been camping with my travel trailer 5 + years. So when I park it is never longer than a 1 week period.

This season we plan to park the trailer at a seasonal site for the full summer. Any advice on the best method to level and increase support for long time parking?

Please advise.
Barnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

We were camp hosts last summer. We sat in the same site for 3 months, but did nothing different than we do for shorter stays. We were on gravel so I did have to snug up the stabilizers a couple of times a week.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #3

I picked up some 4x6 boards from a pallet company (I got 144 random sized pieces of rough cut lumber for $20). and I laid them out in a box pattern, then I put some of those adjustable deck adjustment plates on top. was solid as a rock all summer. I tried just the stabilizer jacks but I found they were still wobbley even extended just a little bit.
kiknads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:16 AM   #4

We went onto a seasonal site last year. I spent about $50 on cinder and cap blocks along some with scrap lumber for the 4 corners from the ground all the way up to the frame so my scissor jacks are not in play. Then I used some floor jacks (4) that I already owned to put 2 additional frame support points forward and rear of the axle on each side. Overkill?...absolutely. But she's solid and doesn't rock at all. I used my 6 ton bottle jack to get things high enough to take the load off the suspension and tires. After a week or so I made some minor adjustments to reset level after settling. Since that time, I haven't had to tweak it at all.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #5

I learned a couple of things last year while campground hosting that may be of interest to you.

1) Be extra particular about placing your rig on your site. The things that were minor inconveniences for a weekend or a week, become a real P.I.A. after 3 or 4 weeks. Things like that tree branch that prevents you from extending your awning all the way. Or one that drips on your skylight when it rains and keeps you awake all night.

2) Rainwater drainage is the #1 issue. Select a site that's a little higher than the ones around it, so you don't get flooded every time it rains. Set your nose slightly high, so rainwater runs off your slide roof. It also keeps the AC drainage and rainwater running down your gutters to the back downspouts. That way it doesn't drip on your head whenever you need something from your front pass-through storage area. At one of the host sites I was in, rain run-off would form a river that ran through my patio area: right through the middle of my patio rug. After every rain, I'd have to wait for the rug to dry, then sweep off the deposited mud, tree bark, sticks and leaves. I'll be on a different sit this year, so (if I have the same issue) I plan on purchasing/making some sand bags or sand tubes to redirect the water flow.

3) Keep a couple of plastic grocery bags and twist ties in the door pocket of you toad/TV. I've seen many a bird perched on a vehicle's side-window ledge, pecking at the "other bird" he sees in the side mirror. While that's amusing, the droppings he leaves all over the side of your vehicle aren't! Use the bags & ties to cover the mirrors while your vehicle is parked. Simply remove them & store them in the door pocket while you're driving.

4) If you're site has a sewer hook-up, purchase one of those sloping bridges to set under your sewer hose so it drains properly. I like to leave my bathroom grey water valve open all the time. Otherwise, showers & hand washing fill the tank so quickly, I have to empty it every 3 days. I use to get some sewer odor through the shower drain whenever I'd shower. After reading a thread on this site a month or so ago, I started adjusting the bridge under my "stinky slinky" so it has a built-in "P-trap" - just ahead of the sewer inlet in the ground. I adjust my bridge to eliminate the trap when I dump my black tank - just so "stuff" doesn't plug it up. After the black tank is dumped, rinsed and drained, I readjust the bridge to put the "P-trap" back in, before dumping my kitchen grey - which cleans out the hose and refills the trap. I no longer get sewer odor coming through the shower drain when I shower.

5) Purchase some of those adjustable blocks/clamps that go between your tires. They really do take a lot of the annoying "bounce" out or your rig. Also, the adjustable step supports that go under your entry steps eliminate that "bounce" when you leave or enter your rig.

Just a couple of tips I've pick up/learned from experience. Hope they can be useful to you. Enjoy your summer site!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the advice. Looking forward to the season and all your tips will be put to good use.
Barnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Just a thought...

I would park the trailer like normal, then place either wood cribbing or concrete blocks under the 4 corners, then place wood cribbing or concrete blocking in front of and behind the wheels. Once it is secure and resting upon your supports, I would let the air out of the tires and allow the trailer to settle on the supports, taking the load off the tires, therefore the wheels, therefore the suspension. All of the movement you feel inside the trailer is due to suspension movement.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:10 AM   #8

I have a total of 8 extra jack stands at my seasonal site. My 38FDDS is almost 42' in length. The extra stands (on cinder blocks) eliminated the bounce so now the trailer is very stable. I wouldn't do this for weekend excursions, but for long term parking I find it helpful.