Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Right here:

Code Enforcement
Stop mixing fact with hyperbole

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #22

I can't wait for our new house and RV garage to be finished! No more HOA complaints and/or City code violation.
Attached Thumbnails
20161203_135803.jpg  
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Lol that RV geeerage is sweet but no way in my village would it be approved for a variance. Neighbors would never let it fly and would fight it at the appearance
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
While you and many others may be inclined to side with those folks, the law doesn't. Not sure about other states but here, by law, if you buy property that is encumbered with deed restrictions, when you close on that property you agree to comply with those restrictions. Not knowing what they are is no excuse in court, either.

I tend to be a straight up guy. I don't pull punches, but I do try to be tactful. If something isn't right and it bothers me, I speak up. I don't report people to the HOA. There are plenty enough busy bodies in the neighborhood that report for even the smallest things... which are often not against the restrictions. I'm pretty sure of which neighbor called in on me for having my trailer here, again even though I didn't violate the time limit. I always smile and wave at him when he drives by...
The law often does side with private property rights, just depends on the circumstance.

HOA bylaws are tossed all the time because the law can be changed, modified, deleted, or expanded based on citizen protest. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

Example. I have a Ham radio license and in my last HOA controlled community they created a new rule that wasn't in place when I moved in - to ban all exterior antennas. As an FCC endorsed licensee with rights granted by the Federal government, I put up my antenna anyway. Someone complained. The ARRL (American Radio Relay League) stepped in and threatened to sue the HOA for violating my federally sanctioned rights. I was able to keep my antenna up, the law... or in this case an HOA 'rule' masquerading as one, was thrown out. If something isn't right, I think a person has an obligation to themselves and their community to challenge it weather that law / rule etc was in place before, during or after you move in.

I'm not suggesting a person should be able to park their camper on a public street indefinitely, just that if they park it on their own property - the rights of the owner come into play. If someone live in an HOA and they signed up for these restrictions to private property rights... that's their problem and they have to live with it. Do what I did and attend the board meetings, become active and do what you can. Or move.

"Laws" can be challenged successfully but I would never move to a neighborhood again where an HOA was 'necessary'. It says a lot about the neighborhood if they need a governing body beyond the Fed, State, and Local to attempt to enforce the pride of ownership you see in countless non-HOA neighborhoods. On the flip side though, some HOA's are extremely RV friendly, but unless they are giving you an RV garage to go with their fees, it's all pretty pointless in my humble opinion.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #25
Site Team

Personally, and I will probably be roasted for saying this, I agree with local driveway ordinances regarding un-licensed vehicles, RV's, Boats and Commercial vehicle parking. I have no problem with keeping them behind 6' privacy fences. I, as a home owner, do not like to see commercial trucks especially large box trucks with advertisement or company names parked in the neighbor hood, and I now live in the city. If they keep them in the garage or behind the fence, again no problem, but this is just my personal thoughts regarding this subject.

I live on a corner lot so other than the front of the house the rest of the property is totally enclosed by a 6' privacy fence. As for knowing what goes on behind closed doors, I mean gates... the local government uses satellite photos to ensure no one is building decks, installing fences, adding sheds or cutting down trees with out getting approval or permits. Yes they do that. Yes, I got permits for the replacement fence a in October.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
PICTURE - Old Beat up TT.png  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #26

I love my house. Ours is parked to the side of our house, in the backyard, under a Carolina Carport. No permits, no fees, no nothing. Neighbors don't complain (half are envious and wish they could come camping with us... especially when we head to Florida in February!!!).

I never thought about where to park a camper before we started out 6 years ago... now every house we drive past and admire, I wonder where we could park our RV. Our next house will have a wide level driveway (ours is narrow at the base and a pretty steep incline and a sharp turn to clear the house) for a 5th wheel.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #27

I lost about $20,000 on the first home I bought because my neighbor decided to paint each side of his house differently based on what direction it faced.

The same house as mine two streets over sold faster and for more money.

I'll never live in a suburban neighborhood without a HOA.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #28

Never thought about HOA's and RV parking bans at home. Lots of Maine homes sport RV's in the yard.

Lots of Maine homes ARE old RV's with plywood extensions. Or there are several strung together with a metal roof over all.

HOA's are pretty much unheard of here..as well as gated communities. Our little development does have residential roof pitch a minimum to avoid RV residences.. and a minimum of 840 sq feet to avoid single wides.
But what to park.. heck everyone has a toy barn and overflow for boats jetskis snowmachines and bobcats and ATV's. Not changing soon. Of course its not suburbia.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post

I'll never live in a suburban neighborhood without a HOA.
And I would never buy a house in a neighborhood with one. Too many busy body's.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
The law often does side with private property rights, just depends on the circumstance.

HOA bylaws are tossed all the time because the law can be changed, modified, deleted, or expanded based on citizen protest. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

Example. I have a Ham radio license and in my last HOA controlled community they created a new rule that wasn't in place when I moved in - to ban all exterior antennas. As an FCC endorsed licensee with rights granted by the Federal government, I put up my antenna anyway. Someone complained. The ARRL (American Radio Relay League) stepped in and threatened to sue the HOA for violating my federally sanctioned rights. I was able to keep my antenna up, the law... or in this case an HOA 'rule' masquerading as one, was thrown out. If something isn't right, I think a person has an obligation to themselves and their community to challenge it weather that law / rule etc was in place before, during or after you move in.

I'm not suggesting a person should be able to park their camper on a public street indefinitely, just that if they park it on their own property - the rights of the owner come into play. If someone live in an HOA and they signed up for these restrictions to private property rights... that's their problem and they have to live with it. Do what I did and attend the board meetings, become active and do what you can. Or move.

"Laws" can be challenged successfully but I would never move to a neighborhood again where an HOA was 'necessary'. It says a lot about the neighborhood if they need a governing body beyond the Fed, State, and Local to attempt to enforce the pride of ownership you see in countless non-HOA neighborhoods. On the flip side though, some HOA's are extremely RV friendly, but unless they are giving you an RV garage to go with their fees, it's all pretty pointless in my humble opinion.
I believe you're correct in some ways, but...An HOA rule is one thing, and they can change, and generally don't have an ending date. But a filed deed restriction is somewhat concrete. However, they often have an expiration date and can be individually cancelled if broken and unchallenged for a set period of time. Our HOA rules have been changed and the subdivision is only 5 years old. I don't have to comply with the changes and have already put them on notice... like your antennas... I moved in with specific deed restrictions, and agreed to the HOA rules at the time. That's all they can require of me. If the HOA requires me to do something different that costs money, they have to pay for it. Another fun part of all of this is that as a member, if I decide to sue the HOA... they pay for my attorney. I'm active... and I actually like the RV rule. I just don't like getting nasty-grams if I'm not in violation.

When discussing property rights, all property owner's rights must be considered. HOAs, when people read the restrictions and rules beforehand, tend to group people together that want the same kind of neighborhood... or that's what they're meant to do. The problems come when someone moves in that's totally ignorant of that or just so bull-headed that they decide to take on all their neighbors. When agreeing to HOA rules and deed restrictions by buying the property, you have given up your rights to do whatever you wish, as such things may infringe upon the rights of your neighbor to enjoy his property... for instance someone complained because your antenna isn't pretty... I've had a 1st class for 47 years and know what most of 'em look like. Our TV dish rule had been challenged and struck down because AT&T has fiber to each home, but there are no other providers represented. And without a dish, you're stuck with one vendor choice. That doesn't fly too well here.

All in all, I'd rather live in the middle of 100 acres, close to good fishing, and do whatever I want and let it go at that. My better half has a better idea....... and hard, bony little fists...
Old 12-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #31

Agreed Jack, all around.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #32

I've long regretted the lack of alleys in modern suburbia. The alley was a source of easy access to one's back yard, and made it easy to park RV's, boats, and other possibly unsightly possessions on one's own property without unnecessarily cluttering the neighborhood.

The small town I'm in has continued to design residential and commercial blocks with alleys, so my TT is parked off the alley, next to my driveway. I'm lucky in that I'm also on the east edge of town, with nothing across the alley but corn and wheat fields between our house and Kansas, 70 road miles away.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #33
PMC

Yep - got a note from the city that we had 10 days to find somewhere else to park it. I figured it was coming as the city code is pretty specific that an RV or trailer can't stick out more than 8 feet from the front of the house.

They were more than willing to look the other way if I paid a hefty permit fee and got sign off from everyone within 100 feet from the unit.
I'll also note - my next door neighbor got the exact same letter on the same day.

As I already have a year round storage spot (I'm in MN so it's parked all winter long) I just started parking it there when not in use and not in the driveway. I'm not paying the city extra just to keep it at home all summer.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Agreed Jack, all around.
What? Even about Delores' bony little fists? She hit you too?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #35

It is interesting how much disinformation about this kind of stuff is around, and how hard it is to get correct information. Last time this topic came up, someone from my city posted that parking trailers in driveways was against bylaw. So I looked. The only bylaw I can find related says that you can't park a derelict vehicle (including RV) in your driveway. Now our city was greatly expanded a few years ago by amalgamating about 5 neighboring municipalities, and the rules were vastly different in all. But the city slowly crawled through them all and came up with an amalgamated set of bylaws that seems to have leaned to the side of civil liberties and simplicity. Anyway, short of it is, nothing better than checking your local bylaws yourself.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #36

^^^

So true. Try leaning the municipal codes regarding Street Trees and Heritiage Trees in our town.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
What? Even about Delores' bony little fists? She hit you too?
LOL, well for that part, my own wife can sit in. She's pretty bony herself (but you didn't hear me say that)
Old 12-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #38

Got it parked in an open RV only storage facility about 35 miles out, $64 mth. end of game. Interesting note per owner that "1/2 of the RV's (at least 200) are stored here due to code violations". Live & learn. I wonder if they would cite a small class A or B motorhome the same?
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #39

I ran into a parking problem when I visited in Tempe, AZ for several nights. I parked my 23-foot trailer on a city street next to my friend's house, in which I stayed during that time. I used an extension cord from the house to the trailer to keep food in the fridge cold/frozen. A neighbor called the HOA board and complained, saying illegal immigrants were living there because he saw the electricity hooked up! I researched Tempe ordinances online and discovered that a trailer such as mine can legally be parked on the street for 7 days if the police chief issues a permit. I called city offices and was told the permit was no longer an option, even though the ordinances were dated Jan. 2016 (I visited in March 2016.) I asked to be transferred to the police station and was told they didn't do permits anymore! I insisted the permits were part of the current city laws, and, after a double check, the officer said she learned something new -- permits can be issued. I got a report number from her and was told to post signs on the trailer indicating the chief has given permission to park on the street. After all that, however, my friend asked me to park the trailer in his driveway because he didn't want to upset the complaining neighbor. I saw no laws against using the driveway, and no one complained after the trailer was parked there. Bottom line: know the laws (and HOA rules, if they apply), because sometimes officials are ignorant of them. Good luck.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
And I would never buy a house in a neighborhood with one. Too many busy body's.
When we were looking this past summer, we specifically told our agent that if she even shows us a house that has an HOA, she was fired. We have too many toys for an HOA. The busy bodies would have a hay day with me.

Our TT is on he side of our house with the cage trailer and boat behind the house. We have 1.5 acres of space.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote