Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #41

Wifey and I were out today and drove through a neighborhood that was really nice, and allowed metal buildings and RV parking... I was jealous...
Old 12-21-2016, 06:58 AM   #42
PMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Wifey and I were out today and drove through a neighborhood that was really nice, and allowed metal buildings and RV parking... I was jealous...
We're about a year and a half out from our next move and have already started looking in a couple towns. Requirements are 3+ acres, space for a building (or a preexisting building) to keep a camper/RV and everything else I have, and enough trees I can't see the next house over.

It's interesting I don't have to move that far out to get everything we want... Maybe another 10 miles from where we're at now which is pretty much in town.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #43

MY T.T. sits in my driveway right next to the enclosed ATV trailer. My H.O.A. just requires that you don't park anything in the grass. Every time I buy a new toy I just pour more gravel and widen the driveway
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post
I ran into a parking problem when I visited in Tempe, AZ for several nights. I parked my 23-foot trailer on a city street next to my friend's house, in which I stayed during that time. I used an extension cord from the house to the trailer to keep food in the fridge cold/frozen. A neighbor called the HOA board and complained, saying illegal immigrants were living there because he saw the electricity hooked up! I researched Tempe ordinances online and discovered that a trailer such as mine can legally be parked on the street for 7 days if the police chief issues a permit. I called city offices and was told the permit was no longer an option, even though the ordinances were dated Jan. 2016 (I visited in March 2016.) I asked to be transferred to the police station and was told they didn't do permits anymore! I insisted the permits were part of the current city laws, and, after a double check, the officer said she learned something new -- permits can be issued. I got a report number from her and was told to post signs on the trailer indicating the chief has given permission to park on the street. After all that, however, my friend asked me to park the trailer in his driveway because he didn't want to upset the complaining neighbor. I saw no laws against using the driveway, and no one complained after the trailer was parked there. Bottom line: know the laws (and HOA rules, if they apply), because sometimes officials are ignorant of them. Good luck.
I once ran afoul of one of Tempe's finest when I tried to launch an inflatable boat in Tempe's Kiwanis lake, even though the boat was licensed with the State and had a permit from Tempe, because he felt it was a raft instead of a boat. Fortunately, a call to the police department quickly straightened that out.

I'm surprised Tempe will allow an RV to be parked on the street under any circumstances since the city is so darned particular about everything, even the size and location of sheds in a backyard.

My ex and I parked a 26' travel trailer on the street by my parent's house in Phoenix after we arrived late at night (well after midnight) around 45 years ago. Within a few hours, Phoenix police were making us move it after several neighbors had complained.