Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #1

Picked up our 2011 314BDSk!

Finally! Yesterday got to pick up our 314BDS. That thing is HUGE! Coming from a 19H it was quite the adventure getting our new camper to it's resting place at our house. Of course, when I pulled in the wife and 3 boys came running out and we had to flip every switch, look in every cupboard, etc.

Just FYI, I don't endorse this at all, but our current situation required I pull it yesterday with a 1999 F150 4x4 with 5.4L. I pulled it 100 miles, half interstate, half very steep Ozark mountain inclines and declines. The dry weight is 7700 with about 4000lb truck. Figure total just under 12,000lbs. The truck is rated for 9000lbs. This is why I can't suggest you do it but I have to say it performed beautifully. I have a Husky weight distribution hitch with 8-1200 lb bars. We couldn't get the truck back to exact level but settled with a 3/4" drop in the rear. Two sway bars.
Even on the windy interstate (I-44) did not experience much sway. Downhills, braking performed excellent and the long climbs where acceptable. We have two very steep climbs that will slow down many non-towing vehicles but was able to top the hills around 50 mph.
I have to give credit to Ford for builiding a very strong 5.4L. I honestly didn't feel like I was over-working the engine or tranny.
Pics coming soon of the new camper. We take our maiden voyage with it in 8 days. (gotta get the new TV quickly
Jon Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #2

Congrats on your new purchase. The 5.4 Tritons are small but tough engines. Looks like you will be in the market for 3/4 Ton Super Duty.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Camping View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. The 5.4 Tritons are small but tough engines. Looks like you will be in the market for 3/4 Ton Super Duty.
Yeah, maybe the new 2011 f250 lariat 4x4 diesel that stickers for $60K
Actually we are looking at used Excursions. Trying to decide between v10 or 7.3 diesel. We need the excursion to haul all the kiddos.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #4

Congrats on the new trailer Jon, looks nice from what I see online. That Ford engine is a good one too. I don't blame you for thinking about a diesel though it's a bit of a trade off in some ways.... higher fuel costs for more mileage vs. a gas engine with lower fuel costs but usually lower mpg. As for an Excursion, not sure there since I don't think they make 'em anymore hence parts will start being hard to come by one day. I think they stopped in 2005 (2006 in Mexico). Like 'Gone Camping' I've got a Dodge Ram, mines a 3/4 ton with the Cummins diesel whereas 'Gone Camping' has a 1 ton I think (don't mean to sound like a commercial ).

Good luck with your tow vehicle search, hope you find what's right for the family and enjoy that new trailer!
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Our family owned a Ford dealership for 50 years so I'm very comfortable with Fords. Don't have anything against the other makes it just that I "know" Fords better when looking for used stuff. The other rig I have considered is a 2500 Suburban, but I just don't know the history, what years had trouble if any....trouble engines/trannies, etc...
I would love an excuse for a new supercrew but for long hauls.....3 car/booster seats and 2 adults and maybe another baby in the future.....it may get crowded.
The camper is great, I'll post up pics in a about 10 days after our maiden voyage.
Jon
Old 10-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #6

I have a 2004 Excursion V-10. The 7.3 was last installed in the 2002 models. My friends with the 6.0 are not happy due to many problems. A 2500 Suburban is nice but will not tow as much as the Excursion. If you have the funds a guy in Texas refurbs Excursions and has several towing monsters.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
I have a 2004 Excursion V-10. The 7.3 was last installed in the 2002 models. My friends with the 6.0 are not happy due to many problems. A 2500 Suburban is nice but will not tow as much as the Excursion. If you have the funds a guy in Texas refurbs Excursions and has several towing monsters.
So does the V10 pull your TT without trouble? Looks like your TT and mine are similar in size weight.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #8

With 4 kids , a wife who packs heavy and 2 small dogs and 3 bikes on the rear of the TT we did well going to Disney from NY. I have no complaints towing with the Excursion, she does rev hi, but am told that is normal for the V-10. I joined FTE.com and learned alot about my Excursion from that site. I have ran into a few others with similar weight TT being towed with gas Excursions and while we all wish for more power we can not complain.

The Excursion itself is heavy and then add a 5 ton TT and 6 people and it performs well. I used to pull a 6,000lbs TT with her and she reved just as high going up hill. Overall I believe only a 1 ton diesel dually would pull better but then Grandpa couldn't come with us.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
Overall I believe only a 1 ton diesel dually would pull better
With your suspension mods, you may be correct, but if the X was stock, a 3/4 ton diesel single wheel would pull better... just more available power with slightly better stability due to the rear suspension on a pickup. The X's are known to be pretty soft in the rear end, but there are some easy ways to correct that. The V10 definitely likes to rev, but it was designed to do it, so you just have to get comfortable with it and figure out how to use the revs to your advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jenkins View Post
Yesterday got to pick up our 314BDS.
Congrats on the new trailer! I'm looking at the same one, but in the Jayflight G2 version. What all options did you go with?

As far as tow vehicles, and gas vs. diesel, I think it really comes down to what ELSE you will use the truck for. Will it be only for towing, or will it also be a daily driver? I would look at the later model X's just because the interiors were redone in 04 or 05, and are much nicer (IMHO). With these years though, you'll only have the 6.0 as the diesel option. Don't be too scared of the 6.0 Powerstroke... it's mostly a good motor that got a bad rap. I've got a 2006 F250 and have had zero problems thus far. Just make sure you get all of the history on the motor before buying... FTE.com is an excellent place for info on all Ford trucks... I usually have a headache after surfing that site; so much info!!

Anyhow, sorry to get long winded. Congrats on the new trailer again.
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #10

Keep in mind the later year 2004-2005 Excursion with the 6.0 had all the engine improvemnts. If you get an earlier version you may not like it. Ford stopped making the 6.0 .
Old 10-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #11

If you get a 6.0, definitely get the newest one (latest year model) you can. They only got better as time went on.

What was the list year for the Excursion? Was it 2005?
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
If you get a 6.0, definitely get the newest one (latest year model) you can. They only got better as time went on.

What was the list year for the Excursion? Was it 2005?
Yes 2005 was the last year. 02-04 6.0L had issues for sure. Into 2005 they got better. I would consider an 05 6.0 but they are reselling higher than what I feel they should. If I go diesel I'll go with early 03 and older to get the 7.3.