Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #1

Picking up a new Jayco 197 and looking for some inspection tips

We just purchased a 2014 Jayco 197 with pretty much all the options. Our appointment for demo/training is this Friday. We took a quick look at the trailer yesterday and saw nothing glaring. When we are at the demo with all power up, do any of you experienced Jayco owners have any tips, areas we should really look at, before we drive it off the lot? Thanks.
Jma3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Bring a phone with a video camera, and record any detailed instructions.. (Like how to open the canopy etc) that you think you might have trouble remembering. Don't be in a hurry, pull out all drawers, open cupboards, etc. if possible, have them fill your water tank with some water and test, hot water heater, shower etc. and also test stove and fridge on propane setting.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jma3910 View Post
We just purchased a 2014 Jayco 197 with pretty much all the options. Our appointment for demo/training is this Friday. We took a quick look at the trailer yesterday and saw nothing glaring. When we are at the demo with all power up, do any of you experienced Jayco owners have any tips, areas we should really look at, before we drive it off the lot? Thanks.
Hello JMA.....

I responded to your post back in May regarding your 197. Congrats on your new 197!! We also had all the options installed except the oven. Ladywendolyn has a good idea...take photos and video as you see fit. Make sure EVERYTHING works...slide, A/C, heat, water pump, water heater.....etc. Also crawl under the trailer and make sure tanks are securely mounted and tank straps are straight and secured. Also while under there check your propane lines and make sure they are not stretched out...make sure there is some play and its not like a rubber band. Visually inspect everything, if you have concerns or something doesn't look right, ask the dealer. Lastly, inspect the roof really well. You just want to make sure there aren't any flaws or damage from shipping to your dealer. Nothing like finding out you have a leak on your first trip out. Someone else here may have some other thoughts on what else to look at.

I would suggest once you get it home, set up camp and try things out so you are used to how everything works before your first trip. When you use your fridge... Make sure your camper is close to level side to side and front to back.

Again, congrats and enjoy your new 197. Look forward to some pics.

Mark & Carolyn
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #4

Be sure the dealer supplies a battery. I know that it is suppose to be customer supplied but you are not suppose to tow it with out one & you need for the breakaway switch. I can also believe that it isn't a top priority for you with all the excitment of getting the tt Happy camping Larry ps the tank straps mentioned by Mark are there only to hold the tanks while the tt is being built, the tanks are supported by flanges, on the tanks, secured on top of the tt frame
Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
Be sure the dealer supplies a battery. I know that it is suppose to be customer supplied but you are not suppose to tow it with out one & you need for the breakaway switch. I can also believe that it isn't a top priority for you with all the excitment of getting the tt Happy camping Larry ps the tank straps mentioned by Mark are there only to hold the tanks while the tt is being built, the tanks are supported by flanges, on the tanks, secured on top of the tt frame
Thanks for the backup Larry. I forgot to mention that about the straps. Last August when we picked our 197 up at the dealer, I never did crawl under the trailer because of the excitement you mentioned. It wasn't until 4 days later when I did crawl under the trailer at home before our "shakedown" trip locally, I noticed the screw holding the strap to the frame was over tightened and had twisted the metal strap so that it was cutting into the black water tank. Also, the LP gas line one hole clamp to the frame was twisted so bad it wrapped the line and it was tighter than a rubber band. I corrected both issues quickly. On the trip I also found a few other issues but corrected them myself. I did provide pictures to the dealer and Jayco. I got a check in the mail about 6 weeks later from Jayco for doing "warranty work". We are Jayco fans for life!

Mark & Carolyn

Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #6

Have had our white hawk 30 now for about 6 weeks and have it set up in back of the house. So far the only problem has been one of the free standing swivel chairs has a broken spring. A couple of other minor things but everything seems good to go. Our service dealer [not where we bought the unit] is about 75 miles away so don't want to run over for each thing that might pop up. Jayco seems to have a good rep for its warrantee coverage so not concerned. Give all the utilities and appliances a good work out. These hot days are a good time to test the AC. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is the brake adjustment. Manual says to adjust after you get it home and then again every so many miles. Its supposed to be pretty owner friendly.

At the dealer I would suggest looking closely inside and out for proper fit and easy functioning. Specifically I noticed the auto awning was not tight to the trailer when closed. Turned out it was a bad awning and had to be replaced right there before taking it home. Saved me a trip for service. Look at drawers, cabinet doors, latches, and such. Missing screws or bad alignment of hinges can be fixed on the spot. They should hand you a check list [my dealer did] of all the stuff they checked after getting the unit from Jayco. Take the time to look it over and ask any ?? on items you don't understand. My dealer was great [RV Connections in Middlebury In] and even put me up at a Hampton Inn so they could install the new awning the next day. I drove 450 miles from home to pick up my White Hawk.

Enjoy!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #7

Thank you for all the tips, they were all useful. The dealer spent about 3+ hours going over everthing. We filmed it, photed it, and wrote it down. Our trailer has that underbelly option, so could not see much. The dealer showed where the lines came inside and everthing worked. We are very happy with the trailer, the dealer, and the helpful comments you provided. We'll do a dry run in the drive way and then head out after the 4th. Again, thanks.
Jma3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jma3910 View Post
Thank you for all the tips, they were all useful. The dealer spent about 3+ hours going over everthing. We filmed it, photed it, and wrote it down. Our trailer has that underbelly option, so could not see much. The dealer showed where the lines came inside and everthing worked. We are very happy with the trailer, the dealer, and the helpful comments you provided. We'll do a dry run in the drive way and then head out after the 4th. Again, thanks.
Awesome!! As a fellow 197 owner, I really hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours. Keep us up to date.

Mark & Carolyn