Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

Question Picking up at Jayco in IN

I am chomping at the bit to get my new camper. The dealer called me a couple of days ago and told me that my rig was still in line to be ready by this Friday. The dealer is 2 hours away from the Jayco facility. He said it would be realistic is assume that I could pick it up the following weekend at the dealership because they have to transport it.

Do you think that I should ask to get it myself from the Jayco facility? Is that possible? Are there any draw backs to doing this? I assume that I would go pick it up and then head back to the dealer with it to do the walk through. Any suggestions are welcome!
WildlifeTag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #2

We live about an hour away from the plant and I thought about it but the dealer might not want that for insurance reasons ... You could ask but from the dealer to you then it is yours ,financed and or paid for .... From jayco to dealer its on them to cover it if something happens in route to them who's to say you have to take it .... Just my thought ...the rv center where we bought ours said they would pick it up then prep it then call me for pick up .... I was chomping at the bit to get it but I understood and let them do what they do
Old 03-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
We live about an hour away from the plant and I thought about it but the dealer might not want that for insurance reasons ... You could ask but from the dealer to you then it is yours ,financed and or paid for .... From jayco to dealer its on them to cover it if something happens in route to them who's to say you have to take it .... Just my thought ...the rv center where we bought ours said they would pick it up then prep it then call me for pick up .... I was chomping at the bit to get it but I understood and let them do what they do
Thanks for the feedback. I hear ya and waiting it out is probably that best thing for me to do. I hate to rush it and then end up not seeing something through. Thanks again!
WildlifeTag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

Well for me it got worse because the day I went to pick it up they messed the awning up when closing it and I had to leave without it so they could do a final on it and ask me if I could come back the next day yo get it ... That made it two days before our first camping trip in it ...
Old 03-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #5

It also depends on how good your dealer is. Ours prides itself on "no warranty claims by the customer", meaning they go through the unit themselves with a fine tooth comb, fix and submit warranty claims for any and everything that needs it, before customer delivery. They actually pride themselves on having more claims submitted to Jayco than any other dealer, and that almost all are initiated by them before delivery. For our walkthrough they gave us the list of everything they inspected (multi-page comprehensive), and things fixed (there wasn't very much). After 2 years of use, our unit has been trouble free. You are paying the dealer after all, so give them a chance to earn their money!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #6

Last year on our tour of the Jayco Factory, I specifically asked if I bought the unit through a local dealer, would it be possible for me to come pick it up at the factory, and I got a quick "NO!" from Jayco. They cited, as mentioned above, liability issues, and other things. They said they used to allow it but found out that some people were showing up that had never towed anything. Basically, they said it didn't work for them, they were in the manufacturing business, not driver training.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #7

Even if Jayco allowed that, I'd still wait. That way no one can come back to you and say that your warranty is void because the chain of custody was broken between the plant and the dealer. In other words, when you go through your PDI with the dealer, they could refuse to fix things because they don't don't what happened since it left the factory. By allowing it to be delivered to the dealer, those two parties are responsible for it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #8

No is the clear answer.

Key is to pay attention when you pick it up and during the dealer walk thru with you. Remember when you leave, unless you are close to them, if you have problems you will be taking it to another dealer in your area. That is sometimes problematic since it is a new unit and you didn't buy it from them.

I bought my Whawk from the same dealer and I have recommended them to many others. Good dealer and good price. I noticed a problem with the power awning that was not tucking tight against the TT on one arm. Ended up it was a faulty awning and they had to replace it. Had to get the replacement from the factory and I had to spend the nite in Middlebury. Dealer paid for my room at a local Hampton Inn and I finished the pickup the next morning. I live almost 500 miles south so returning next week was not an option. Have had a few finish issues with the TT but I fixed them all myself. My 2 year warrantee is over in May so planning a trip to the closest dealer for a few items we documented on our recent trip south. Nothing major but last chance to have things done under warrantee.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #9

I doubt the dealership would allow you to pick it up. They own the trailer until you pick it up and pay them for it. An unscrupulous person could pick up the Jayco from the factory and just take off with it!

Part of the price you pay to the dealer includes delivery and dealer prep. I know it's hard to wait, but I'd let the dealer have it delivered, and let them prep it, fill the propane tank(s), and install the battery. Then you can have your PDI, pay for it, pick it up, and it's ready to hit the road. I also wouldn't schedule your first long-distance outing for the day after you pick it up. Camp out in the driveway (or a nearby campground) for a couple of nights, so you can check out all of the systems for proper operation. That way, if anything doesn't work properly, you still have time to return it to the dealership for warranty repairs without messing with your camping plans.

JM2c
Old 03-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #10

@Flapper: who was your dealer?
javankrona is offline   Reply With Quote