Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2019, 06:26 AM   #21

12 volt that came with the car and it has Alligator clips and it does exactly what it’s suppose to do.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #22

We carry a Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ Cordless Power Inflator. Lightweight, takes almost no space, and works on both the trailer and the truck tires. We also share the batteries with a Ryobi fan. Believe it or not, this inflator works faster than the Harbor Freight pancake compressor that we also have.
carloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstater88 View Post
My last compressor crapped out and was awfully big and bulky. Looking at this one from Harbor Freight for light work. There's a coupon in the ad and its only $36.99 so I figure why not give it a try.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-61615.html
I have had that same compressor for 5+ years. Can’t remember exactly how long. Works fine. It will stay full if I close off air to the tool outlet via the adjustment knob. Otherwise it will slowly lose air. Mine be unique in that.

It is cheap but has lasted!!!

Beautiful Wife

Ladd & Stacy
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #24

I had one of those 12 volt pumps. And I do appreciate their size, weight, and general noise level. However I did find it inconvenient to have to start the chassis in order to run the pump. I've never been a fan of starting any of my engines and turning them off quickly w/o running them down the road for a bit.

So for me, the 12 volt wasn't the best solution b/c I like to air my tires up in the evening before I depart after the sun has gone down and the tires have cooled off. Starting up the E450 to run the air compressor just didn't seem right to me. I have a smaller craftsman pancake compressor that makes a racket - but I can plug it into the coach and run it w/o starting the V10.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #25

VIAIR 300P Portable Compressor for me ... about $140 from Amazon. Buy it once and be done with it. It connects to battery terminals with aligator clips.

I'll be putting battery posts on the outside of the battery box to simplify a hookup... 3/8 inch bolts with 10 gauge wire connections to the battery. The negative terminal will be tied to my battery disconnect
pschriro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #26

I have a Kobalt 12-Volt Multi-Purpose Portable Car Sport Air Inflator and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-12-Vol...gateway&sr=8-2

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #27

My personal recommendation is the harbor freight model that clamps onto the battery. It's pretty fast as far as 12v compressors go. It would sure come in handy if you decided to air down for sand driving.
CampinFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You might be right on some small cheap 12volt compressors. My Slime, will pop a bead back into place. A couple years ago I got a flat on you tv, out in the boonies. Changed the tire. When I got back to the camper, I hooked up the compressor, and within a minute or two I was at 25-30 psi, and was blowing a good stream of air out of the hole in the tread, which could be found by both feel and hearing. I would guess it would takes 3 minutes to fill a completely flat tire to 35 psi, if it did not have a big hole in it.

Just to top off my tires maybe 30 seconds each. It takes more time moving from tire to tire and getting it in and out of its storage location than to fill the tires.
You must have lucked into one of those experimental Slime units. I have gone thru 3 slimes [returned the first 2 after they overheated when trying to air a tire] and the last one is used only for bike and small trailer tires.

Am I doubting you?? I wasn't there to witness the "bead" popping or the 3 minute fill of a flat; but my slime units [top model at W World] if they would run that long would take 30 minutes to air up even a smaller TT tire even if they would run that long before overheating.

The air output capacity simply isn't enough to effeciencly air a full size tire from full flat and popping a bead is something that can be problematic even for a 110 garage compressor. On the road most 12V units will do the job to top off a tire but that is about it for a Slime and the other cheap China units.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #29

I got one of the AmazonBasics compressors and it is awesome. I got the version with the battery clips and 16ft hose so that I can make it from my truck battery to truck tires or the trailer battery back to the trailer tires. I've done both several times with no problem. Don't think it would reach from the truck battery all the way back to the farthest trailer tires.

It airs up truck and trailer tires really fast. I will never go back to any of the small compressors again. Auto stops once it reaches the set pressure, it stalls out for about 30sec before it cuts out and then the pressure

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B074DD3NS5

On a side note I got my wife the smaller version that plugs into the 12v accessory socket, and it also works great...a bit louder and not quite as fast as mine, but great for her smaller car tires.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B074DD8NVY

venoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #30

How do you fill your air bags? I use a Viar compressor with a 2 1/2 gal tank. Its a 100% unit and the tank dumps at 125 psi. Also use it for the air horn and on board air to inflate tires.
jaybwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air pump