Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2015, 07:11 AM   #1

Possible leak or defrosted fridge/freezer?

I had not been in the TT in a while during the winter and found ice on the floor when I went in a while ago. It went from the front of the vanity into the storage below the bunks. Everything was "dry" under the vanity, so assumed that it could have been coming in from the storage door, possibly from a rain storm prior to the colder temps. As I am sitting here trying to plan our first outing, I just remembered that I shut down the fridge right before winter; is there a possibility that the water that froze on the floor could have been from the freezer defrosting? I am not 100% familiar with this unit yet, as we bought it last summer and only went out with it a few times, so have not explored all appliances yet. If the drain tube goes into a pan to evaporate, as some of my older ones did, would that overflow onto the floor? There is only a closet between the vanity and fridge, so there could be a possibility that water that dripped under the fridge could have made its way over towards bathroom and bunks being floor is one piece. I am going to check the floor with a 4' level when I go out later, and that should tell me which way the water ran. Just curious if anyone else had this problem before, and if there is a better way to defrost the fridge.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #2

I usually put a bath towel in the freezer when I shut it off to soak up the water. The one or two times I forgot I never had water leak out, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. The little bit of water coming off of the refrigerator fins would be less than a cup full.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Site Team

I have a Norcold fridge and it defrosts into a drain pan in the back. When I first got this unit, after shutting down the fridge from a trip, the pan would overflow into the rear of fridge compartment, never inside. I routed my drain pipe so that it drains outside like my old Dometic fridge and have had no more problems.

When we shut it down we leave the doors open and put a towel in the freezer compartment to absorb the melted frost.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #4

Thanks, I will have to remember the towel for next time. After my second cup of coffee, I just re-thought the level check I was going to do. Even if the TT is slightly off level towards the storage area, does not mean that water couldn't run towards interior, all it had to do was build up a bit and work its way in. I have been caught in a couple of rain storms the few times I have been out, and also parked here and the storage was always dry, that is why I am a bit confused.

I am going out in a bit and pulling the cover off the back and check the drain tube end, that at least will tell me where it drained to.

Have rain coming in this week, and with 2 ft of snow on the roof that will melt and possibly drip down the side, I want to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible. Tried to raise front with jack the other day, but it was frozen; hopefully it will melt within the next coupe of days.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

I always put a towel in the freezer when I shut it off as well, there is usually some ice that is built up on the walls of the freezer.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #6

I will have to remember the towel trick never done that before ... I can see where it might be worse if you are out for a week or so ... most of the time its weekends for us
Old 03-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
Site Team

Hey NY RVer, good luck. You have a different set of problems to deal with this winter!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #8

Frank, check along the slides and along the ceiling to insure its dry. Finding water is never fun.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #9

Karl, that's all dry. I found the ice a while back, but started looking around now that it may start to melt a bit. I thought it was the storage door, but just noticed about an hour ago that any water that gets into the hinge goes into the door itself and comes out the weeps holes on bottom onto the flange and out.

I checked the drain line on fridge, and it does go in to a small pan, which cannot hold too much water. At this point I am thinking it was the fridge when it defrosted. It had been on since we met you at Lake George, and shut it down when I winterized, probably late October, early November, so I'm sure there must have been quite a bit of frost in there. Some suggested a towel in it, so next time I will definitely do that.

On a good note, the jack defrosted and works fine, so I tilted the trailer back so water can run off the back.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY RVer View Post
Karl, that's all dry. I found the ice a while back, but started looking around now that it may start to melt a bit. I thought it was the storage door, but just noticed about an hour ago that any water that gets into the hinge goes into the door itself and comes out the weeps holes on bottom onto the flange and out.

I checked the drain line on fridge, and it does go in to a small pan, which cannot hold too much water. At this point I am thinking it was the fridge when it defrosted. It had been on since we met you at Lake George, and shut it down when I winterized, probably late October, early November, so I'm sure there must have been quite a bit of frost in there. Some suggested a towel in it, so next time I will definitely do that.

On a good note, the jack defrosted and works fine, so I tilted the trailer back so water can run off the back.
Sorry to bring a old post back to life, but I believe I am having a similar issue. Today was the first time heavy use on our ice/ water despenser. I noticed that the bottom left corner of our unit was leaking out of the bracket that holds the door. Could this be from the heavier than normal use, or should I be looking for a new seal?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20210705_201457.jpg  
Brown964 is offline   Reply With Quote