Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Possible lemon? Electrical issues?

Picked up a 28RBDS almost a year ago and have had nothing but issues with it. Let me start by saying that this is not our first trailer so we are quite experienced in things TT related. Also, everything has been covered under warranty but its still a hassle to drop it off to the dealership every time i have an issue. SO here is what I have had wrong so far...

April/May 2015:
  • Black water tank valve stuck causing a major black water leak. This happened on our maiden voyage and ruined our first vacation for the year. Valve and insulation panels had to be replaced. Stayed in repair for over 3 weeks. Fixed

August/September 2015:
  • Thermostat went out on the AC unit during a hot july vacation. spent the entire time without AC. Had to bring it in to get it replaced. Stayed in repair for over 3 weeks. Fixed
  • Also shelf below kitchen sink was not finished. - they fixed this
  • told them about the awning sticking. Never addressed. Still sticking and rolling up improperly
  • Door to the bathroom was sticking. they fixed this

Current issues that have to go in for warranty repair:
  • Lights above the dinette table do not function THey just stopped working one day.
  • Molding came lose in kitchen
  • Countertops are warping in the bathroom and outside kitchen (No excessive water exposure). Seems maybe the edge moulding wasn't sealed or something.
  • GFCI outlet is not functioning/resetting causing all GFCI outlets and the refrigerators to not function
  • Rear access panel for refrigerator is not closing properly causing water to collect.
  • Multiple missing screws in the slides
  • TV swivel mount was not mounted correctly causing scratch in cheap laminate wood panel.
  • Awning is not mounted correctly causing it to stick when putting it out and also causes it ro not roll up properly
  • Power jack keeps blowing its fuse. I had to put a larger one in there which is probably going to cause the motor to go bad.
  • No Molding was installed in the rear closet
  • Kitchen table is loose and wobbly. (Probably normal by most standards)

Seems like alot of electrical problems (highlighted in bold) and overall quality issues. All in all we are completely dissatisfied with this trailer. It has ruined 3 vacations for us and numerous hours of our time has been committed to getting these things repaired. It has been in the shop over 40 days getting things fixed and now will have to go back at least 2 more times to address the rest of my list.

SO am I overreacting to thinking I got a lemon? I am open to other suggestions too. Anyone have any experience in getting their trailer covered under a lemon law? (VA Specifically)
CaldwellOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Site Team

My understanding is that lemon laws do not cover rv's.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My understanding is that lemon laws do not cover rv's.
Thanks for your response. I would rather not go down that road anyway and use it as a last result but I would love some opinions on all the electrical issues if any one has them. The AC, Power Jack, Lights, GFIC all make me suspicious that there is a much larger electrical problem going on here.

Also, Has anyone had any success in getting their warranty extended when they have had this many issues? I have a little less then a year left.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Some of the issues you're having make me think that your unit's production was rushed. I've worked in most phases of IT, but the physical layers mostly, for a long time. Electrical issues like you're having are generally isolated and not caused by some larger mess. Getting them identified and repaired will be the end of each one... if repaired properly. The RV industry needs some foreign competition like the American auto industry suffered in the '70s and 80s. Back then if someone had told me a company vehicle (F-150) would go 340K miles, I'd have told them to stop smoking whatever it was they were smoking. I've fixed many problems on my current trailer, and was hoping Jayco was made a little better...
Old 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

definitely has had it share of issues.

Power jack, this is a problem on many rigs. What everyone recommends to install is a self resetting circuit breaker fuse. The issue usually is from over travel when the motor stalls.

GFI outlets, can be a pain. It maybe warning/protecting you of an actual issue. Replacing the GFI outlet should be completed. If it continues you may have an issue at one of the daisy chained outlets. I would start with the outside outlet and the frig (due to known water leak issue)

I would suspect the light might be a loose wire nut, or a light switch you do not realize exists. Easy to diagnose and fix, remove the light, check wire nuts, If you have a multi-meter, check line voltage, and re assemble.

Counter top; someone else mentioned a while back they had a counter top doing what you said. They stated Jayco shipped and installed new counters.

Awning sticks. As you said it appears to have a few missing screws. However, the electric awnings do require Preventative Maintenance. You need to spray the slides/channels with something like silicone spray and wipe it down. I use TriFlow. I have to do it at least once a year, better if done a couple times a year.

I would make sure to work with your local dealer to fix these issues. If they are not doing the job to your standard, I would politely contact Jayco with your VIN number and discuss your issues with a Customer Representative. Jayco has been very good with my questions and concerns.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #6

Are you making monthly payments on the rig or is it free and clear?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
definitely has had it share of issues.

Power jack, this is a problem on many rigs. What everyone recommends to install is a self resetting circuit breaker fuse. The issue usually is from over travel when the motor stalls.
Good to know. I will look into that. Maybe this is something that they will install for me under warranty.

Quote:
GFI outlets, can be a pain. It maybe warning/protecting you of an actual issue. Replacing the GFI outlet should be completed. If it continues you may have an issue at one of the daisy chained outlets. I would start with the outside outlet and the frig (due to known water leak issue)
I actually replaced the GFI outlet because it tripped at the beginning of one of our trips and would not reset. The replacement did the same thing. Is does have power to it. I hope your right that its one of the outlets in the string.

Quote:
I would suspect the light might be a loose wire nut, or a light switch you do not realize exists. Easy to diagnose and fix, remove the light, check wire nuts, If you have a multi-meter, check line voltage, and re assemble.
Kind of a weird light here. These are some type of hard wired round LED. One went out and the other worked for a while but eventually both failed. Im thinking the light itself malfunctioned here.

Quote:
Counter top; someone else mentioned a while back they had a counter top doing what you said. They stated Jayco shipped and installed new counters.
This is great news. I am hoping they can replace them with something a bit more heavy duty. I would hate for them to be replaced just have the same Result a few years down the road.

Quote:
Awning sticks. As you said it appears to have a few missing screws. However, the electric awnings do require Preventative Maintenance. You need to spray the slides/channels with something like silicone spray and wipe it down. I use TriFlow. I have to do it at least once a year, better if done a couple times a year.
I feel the awning wasn't installed correctly. it does not roll up properly either resulting in it having creases and being wrinkled. I feel this will severely diminish the longevity of the awning. Im hoping they will replace it.

Quote:
I would make sure to work with your local dealer to fix these issues. If they are not doing the job to your standard, I would politely contact Jayco with your VIN number and discuss your issues with a Customer Representative. Jayco has been very good with my questions and concerns.
Thanks for your response. I really appreciate your input. I have been having issues with one of the two jayco dealers here so I am going to try the second one next.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Are you making monthly payments on the rig or is it free and clear?
Monthly payments.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #9

We've got a 2016 X23F.

My power jack was popping fuses, but when I checked into this I found that this is typical, and it's important that you don't run the jack past it's physical limit. I did replace the 30A fuse with an auto-reset 30A breaker as well just so I didn't get stuck somewhere with a popped fuse. I'm also extremely vigilant about not over-running the jack now.

My LED awning lights stopped working on our third trip. I checked for voltage where the wires exited the trailer and there was none. I knew the switch was getting power because the light under the steps still worked, so I pulled the switch out of the wall and found that the lead from the switch went directly to the step light, and there was a vampire tap on that wire that fed the LED strip. It had become unplugged. I plugged it back in and taped it up. Wiring to the lights above the dinette in your trailer might be something similar.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #10

Is anyone helping you? Jayco, dealer???
Old 05-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #11

Something I have learned over the years is that when I go in with a list of items, there is generally on or two major items and then lots of other little ones. I feel that at times I over emphasize the importance of the major items when talking to a service writer who is making notes and then going to communicate with one or more tech's his interpretation of our conversation. It always seems that somewhere along the line the message breaks down with one or more problems and something ends up not getting taken care of.

Whenever I have multiple problems I take a roll of Blue Tape and I flag every area I can. If there is a missing screw, blue tape. If the thermostat is bad, blue tape. Light doesn't work, Blue tape. Misalingned door, blue tape.

I then type out a checklist or a fix-it sheet. Whatever you want to call it. And I give a copy of it to the service writer and a copy gets posted in the RV.

If your really getting the runaround, sit down with the manager and have him acknowledge each individual item on the list and what the resolution will be.

It makes it that much easier for the technician who has to go in there and fix everything if he can "see" what I see. So to speak.

Maybe it will help.

With that said, sometimes , even though I believe in the principal of warranty and the manufacturers responsibility to take care of the issues... I pick my battles... If I can fix it at home I just take care of it and save the fight for the bigger issues.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #12

That great advice! Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Is anyone helping you? Jayco, dealer???
Jayco has twice pawned me off to the dealership even after I had let them know of some issues I was having with them. SO I am currently looking for a different dealership that is within 60 miles of me. So far and with some reluctance and run around, the dealership has fixed most of my issues.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaldwellOne View Post
Jayco has twice pawned me off to the dealership even after I had let them know of some issues I was having with them. SO I am currently looking for a different dealership that is within 60 miles of me. So far and with some reluctance and run around, the dealership has fixed most of my issues.
Very good. At least someone is willing to step up and help.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #15

Recheck your GFCI and insure that the hot lead and incoming neutral are connected to the correct side of the device. A GFCI will not reset if it is installed backwards. This is a fairly common error.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Very good. At least someone is willing to step up and help.
I probably should elaborate.. my current issues on my list are still not fixed. Im looking for a new dealership. The others were reluctantly fixed by the original dealership. They made me jump through hoops though. 40+ days in the shop so far. probably another 20-40 days to go.