Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #1

Potential new owner. Need help.

Hello, I'm new to the forum. My wife and I live in Northern British Columbia, Canada and currently own a 2008 Fleetwood E1 PUP. Our TV is a 2011 Grand Cherokee v6 Overland (max tow 5000lbs). We currently have 2 bassett hounds and a little guy on the way who is due mid June. We towed the PUP across Canada last summer and found it to be a bit cramped with the dogs but liveable. We also found the canvas to be a bit of a pain when it was windy as it would flap and keep us awake. This was especially noted when we stayed near the glaciers in Jasper!! So since we're expecting we started thinking about getting into a larger travel trailer so that we would have more room, less set up/tear down, quieter atmosphere with hopefully a better "R" value as we found the PUP was hard to regulate temp at night.

We test towed a 2012 Jayco X213 this past Saturday. We took it to the local scales and confirmed the actual weight (including propane and battery) to be 4300 lbs and our Jeep weight while hitched with us in the Jeep to be 6050 lbs (gross allowable is 6500). So we have some weight to play with and we know from our trip across Canada that we don't pack along much more than approx 300-400 lbs food, dogs and cargo.

The trailer towed surprisingly well with the aid of a WDH but the Jeep was definately working on hills. We had previously looked at a 2012 Jayco X18D but we like the X213 better due to the lack of canvas and use of interior space.

I'm at the point of signing the dotted line but am really torn between these trailers. The X213 has a great layout and no canvas but the X18D is approx 650 lbs lighter, a couple feet shorter (I have limited parking) and may be easier on my v6 when being towed. The prices are only a few K different so that's not as big a factor at this point. Any input will be greatly appreciated at this point.

Cheers!
Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #2

First off Welcome to the Jayco Forum,

I'm from Prince myself and it has some of the best camping around for northern BC. 15 minutes in any direction and your in the middle of nowhere.

It comes down to what you realy want and what you feel comfortably towing. I don't know much about the X18D but I was looking at the X213 recently and found that to be a great trailer. It felt very cozy yet spacious with room to grow.

It's a tough call..... and I feel your pain just recently going through this delema myself on some different units..

My only advice is to spend some time in both trailers and do the pros and cons.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here and offer some more advice.

Good Luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #3

Welcome to the JOF, Overlander.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #4

I'd go with the X123. That 'little guy' due in mid June will appreciate the quietness of the hardwalls during nap time and the comfort of a more even interior temperature that the hardwalls will provide. Plus you get, IMHO, a better use of space. Good luck with your decision and congrats on the new member of your family due in June.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #5

Hey welcome. Tough call, good luck, let us know both now and in June!
Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. I guess I'd like to know whether the weight difference of 650lbs would even be a consideration when towing trailers in the 3-4 thousand lb range. Would I even notice the difference in fuel savings or vehicle strain? Since at highway speeds both trailers being almost the same physical size would have similar wind drag? Thoughts?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #7

Hey Overlander welcome to the forum

I do not know much detail on the weight ect, I leave that to the DH but I can tell you we were in a similar situation a few months ago when choosing between two TT. The one we preferred came in much closer to ourlimit than the other. What we decided was (since we are empty nesters and retirement has poked its head over the horizon), That this trailer may be the only one we purchase. So we felt we would rather get the trailer that we really wanted, try camping close to home for the next season, and if we find that our tow vehicle is just struggling too much, then we would look into changing that end of it. We also made sure that the TT would be able to carry more weight rather than getting a larger vehicle only to find that our TT could not be loaded up anymore anyways. Now you guys are young and just starting out so you are in a different space. The advice given about spending time in both trailers was also a very good idea. Check things like storage space, window views ect. I know all the guys here on this forum will be able to give you better advice on the weight issues so will leave that for them to dish out. But do let us know what you decide. I have seen others here asking for help on decisions and we never find out.....it's nice to know in the end
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #8

I have a Grand Cherokee with a V8. It's a lousy tow vehicle even with just 3000 lbs of trailer. I predict that you will want a more suitable TV shortly after your purchase of a new trailer.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #9

What is it about the Cherokee that you don't like and how big of a trailer are you towing? I'm just curious as I'm potentially bumping up from a 16.5' trailer which towed great to a heavier longer unit.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum. My wife and I live in Northern British Columbia, Canada and currently own a 2008 Fleetwood E1 PUP. Our TV is a 2011 Grand Cherokee v6 Overland (max tow 5000lbs). We currently have 2 bassett hounds and a little guy on the way who is due mid June. We towed the PUP across Canada last summer and found it to be a bit cramped with the dogs but liveable. We also found the canvas to be a bit of a pain when it was windy as it would flap and keep us awake. This was especially noted when we stayed near the glaciers in Jasper!! So since we're expecting we started thinking about getting into a larger travel trailer so that we would have more room, less set up/tear down, quieter atmosphere with hopefully a better "R" value as we found the PUP was hard to regulate temp at night.

We test towed a 2012 Jayco X213 this past Saturday. We took it to the local scales and confirmed the actual weight (including propane and battery) to be 4300 lbs and our Jeep weight while hitched with us in the Jeep to be 6050 lbs (gross allowable is 6500). So we have some weight to play with and we know from our trip across Canada that we don't pack along much more than approx 300-400 lbs food, dogs and cargo.

The trailer towed surprisingly well with the aid of a WDH but the Jeep was definately working on hills. We had previously looked at a 2012 Jayco X18D but we like the X213 better due to the lack of canvas and use of interior space.

I'm at the point of signing the dotted line but am really torn between these trailers. The X213 has a great layout and no canvas but the X18D is approx 650 lbs lighter, a couple feet shorter (I have limited parking) and may be easier on my v6 when being towed. The prices are only a few K different so that's not as big a factor at this point. Any input will be greatly appreciated at this point.

Cheers!
I just bought the X213 in Feb 2012 and you are right it is a really nice trailer, I decided that it was time to get away from canvas. Your 5000 lb tow rating capability drops once you start to add passengers and cargo in the TV. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi and it is rated for 8200 lbs so I have a very good comfortable range for towing. That was one of the main criteras for my selection. Since you are at or near to top of your tow rating.....IMHO...I would not do it. I would be weary pulling it up the hills.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #11

Thanks for the advice. When I took it for a test tow I loaded my folks into the jeep for added weight to simulate our dogs and cargo. Together they added approx 450lbs...no further comment the weight and trailer definitely made for noticeable towing but it handled surprisingly well. We took it through the city and up and down approx 30 km of mixed Hwy consisting of a couple of decent hills, rolling hills and some straight aways. It was also a bit windy and we passed a bunch of big rigs.

We went back to the rv dealer again today and after taking a second look around we decided that the X213 is the way to go. We're also playing with the idea of getting into a v8 Cherokee but we'll wait and see how the numbers work.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #12

That's great that you got to take it out and try it. Wish we were able to do that. Enjoy your new camper
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #13

Thanks! I guess we'll be signing the papers tomorrow if all goes according to plan. The weather here has been nice and the snow is melting fast!! We can't wait to get out and do some camping!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #14

Congratulations on your decision. Towing with the V8 will make a huge difference.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #15

X213 is a great rig. I think you will be very happy with it. We are happy with ours and can't wait to get it out in a fews weeks for our first trip if the season.
OffTheGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #16

Our previous TV limited our choices in choosing our "next" TT. By choosing a lighter/smaller TT we did not enjoy camping as much. Finally found a bigger TV and then got the TT we wanted.
Long story short- if you have an ideal TT in mind make sure you have a capable TV first.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #17

Quote:
What is it about the Cherokee that you don't like and how big of a trailer are you towing? I'm just curious as I'm potentially bumping up from a 16.5' trailer which towed great to a heavier longer unit.
I only tow an atv trailer, loaded at 3000 lbs, 14 ft long. I have to rev the heck out of the engine to accelerate. Plus, it keeps downshifting on every little grade. Even that small of a utility trailer takes the gas mileage way down. I wouldn't dream of hauling a TT with it.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I guess I'd like to know whether the weight difference of 650lbs would even be a consideration when towing trailers in the 3-4 thousand lb range. Would I even notice the difference in fuel savings or vehicle strain? Since at highway speeds both trailers being almost the same physical size would have similar wind drag? Thoughts?
Well it's looking like getting into a bigger TV is out. So I like to refer to the above and ask everyone once again what their thoughts are on towing a TT that weighs about 600 lbs less... will it make a noticeable difference?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Well it's looking like getting into a bigger TV is out. So I like to refer to the above and ask everyone once again what their thoughts are on towing a TT that weighs about 600 lbs less... will it make a noticeable difference?
In a word....YES. 600 lbs is alot of weight especially when you are creeping close to your limit. Think of it this way, thats almost a 3rd of a ton. You will notice it on the hills and your mpg will suffer. 600 lbs could mean the difference of shifting into 2nd gear instaed of just 3rd when climbing. Thats where your mileage will suffer. On the other hand, if on the test drive, the Jeep seemed to pull okay, go for the bigger tt. Pack carefully and buy food at your destination to help cut down on weight. Chances are you will have the tt longer than the jeep anyway.

Altar1 - thats crazy about your v8 jeep. I'm guessing you must have the 4.7 and not the 5.7. You must not have a tow package either and the truck has higher gears? My 4.6 v8 Mountaineer tows my 5500 lb tt like a champ. Of course my tow rating is 7060 lbs and I have the factory tow package.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Overlander. Enjoy your new Jayco, whichever one you end up choosing.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote