Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Power awning - does it fold against side of camper to clean?

If not, what is the best method to clean it?

Thanks - this site has been a wealth of knowledge.
mjwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwills View Post

The only position that the one that I have is either extended or rolled up. I am not quite sure what you mean by fold against the side. I just have mine extended and use a ladder/long handled brush for the top and the long handled brush for the underside. I use a mixture of Simple Green/bleach/water for my cleaning solution.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:

easiest would be to drop both arms and use a long handled brush. get what your asking but sadly, they can't make everything easy!

*rented* 2012 jayco 264bh TT.
5 straight weeks, 8500 miles.

my wife and myself plus..
2 teenage stepdaughters
nucleuscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #4

Those electric awnings are a pain! I used a scrub-brush and scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed along the roller as I ever-so-slowly rolled the awning in. I "reversed" the roll so I could get both sides of the awning. Took about 4 hours and a six-pack of beer to git-er-done. That was using an off-the-shelf awning cleaner, which worked pretty good. That was at the beginning of the season.

Then, I came across this bleach/water solution. Open the awning, spray it on, give it a quick brush, roll it up, wait 15 minutes, open up the awning and hose it off. A whole lot easier than my first attempt, came up looking nearly new and my arm doesn't hurt at all! Still took a six-pack to keep me hydrated!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrumfield View Post
The only position that the one that I have is either extended or rolled up. I am not quite sure what you mean by fold against the side. I just have mine extended and use a ladder/long handled brush for the top and the long handled brush for the underside. I use a mixture of Simple Green/bleach/water for my cleaning solution.
How much of each do you use? My awning is completely white so its going to get ugly faster!
krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #6

Thanks! I used a ladder and long brush today and it worked well.

What I meant by folding flat was undoing the arms somehow and it folding flat against the side of the camper.
mjwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
How much of each do you use? My awning is completely white so its going to get ugly faster!
I would guess about a quart of Simple Green and a pint of bleach in 5 gallons of water. I don't really measure it so those are just guesses on my part. HTH
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks! I used a ladder and long brush today and it worked well.

What I meant by folding flat was undoing the arms somehow and it folding flat against the side of the camper.
I have never looked that closely at the attachment point but I am assuming that they are not the standard quick release like on the manual awnings so that you can put the arm down to the ground. I will have to look at them the next time that I have the awning out.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #9

I have cleaned mine by tying the roller so that it does not leave the side of the trailer and then unroll it. This lets me wash 1/2 of the awning against the TT and then roll it up 1/2 way and do more until that side is done.

If you had the fabric between the roller and the TT then unroll it with the fabric outside the roller you can follow the same procedure for the other side.

some have told me this does not work but then I must be missing something since I have been washing the awning twice a year for the last 4 years using this method.

Good luck and I'll post a video the next time I do it.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #10

The electric awnings do not detach like the manual awnings. They are a pain. I bought a nice long handled brush at a truck stop and used a step ladder and the five gallon bucket of bleach and cleaner. Worked pretty good. I like the part about rolling it back up and let it sit and soak for about 15 minutes, and then risinsing it off. Corona time!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #11

You can get 1/2 of the awning flat against the tt by holding the arms against the tt and let the awning unroll,then roll up & reverese the awning and get 1/2 of the top. The rest of the awning has to be with a ladder, raincoat or bathing suit, and that 6 pack. ps best to have one person on each arm to hold against the tt. Larry