Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #1

Power awning fail

Soooo, apparently the power awnings don't actually dump water when they start to fill up. This is my first power awning, never lost a manual one because I could tilt it for runoff. I had an idea from reading it somewhere, that the power units have a spring or shock system that dumps to save the awning. Well, that didn't happen. Left it open so I could leave a window open to air it out, left side of awning ripped half the vertical rail out of the camper wall and bent it 90 degrees. Bent a horizontal part of the left side assembly, too.
Is there any chance it was faulty and couldn't dump when it should? Or does this model not have the dump feature or something? It's on a 2017 Jayflight SLX 287bhsw. Haven't called the dealer yet, wanted to research it a little first. I don't feel like this wonderful Jayco warranty that they rave about is going to cover my awning getting wrecked because I left it open.

Any thoughts? What should I do?
SacoDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #2

Take a look at my photo here. This is a power awning -- I don't recall the brand -- but when I extend it, I have the option of tightening the knobs on it. If I don't, it will auto-dump, but I don't trust that feature, so I pull one side down slightly before tightening it. The rain will just run off because of the slope.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0171.jpg  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #3

We always tilt our power awning too. It will dump, but I don't trust it. Read through the manual and see if it says it is ok to leave open in the rain. I know if it is windy you are supposed to bring them in.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #4

I always tilt my power awning. If a lot of rain is coming, I bring it in. I guess I'm a little gunshy about leaving one out during a heavy rain as I lost a manual awning during a heavy rain due to water pooling in the middle of it. I had a pretty hard tilt on it too.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #5

Well, I wouldn't have left it open during a monsoon, we just had some light rain thoughout the week. I can't find anything saying it should dump, it is a Carefree Longitude.
It does have a gas cylinder on each side, like a shock but I dont see how that would make it dump? And there's no turn know like domestics version has.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #6

The way to see if it will/should dump. Open it and pull down on one end, it should come down with some resistence.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #7

Was it windy? I have a Dometic power awning and it has "dumped" before on its own when I forgot to tilt it.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #8

Only some power awnings will autodump. It depends on the brand and design. I would look up the instructions for yours online if they were not included in your documentation. I found my Carefree of Colorado instructions online very easily. It does autodump, and works very well. It can also be adjusted for some pitch (but not too much or the autodump and retraction don't work properly), something I would not have quite figured out how to do properly without "Reading the Fine Manual".
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #9

Wasn't windy. Just some rain, nothing major. Too late to test it now, it's already broken. Can't close it up or anything. Just talked to the dealer, they want me to email some pics
Old 04-30-2017, 05:16 PM   #10

Power awning fail

I learned all about awnings and rain the hard way. My manual A&E awning tube snapped like a toothpick 2 years ago. I left it open while going to dinner not realizing a storm was coming. Completely destroyed. Tube bent, fabric torn, both side arms bent. I struggled just to get it rolled back up for trade in. The new electric awnings are even more flimsier. The Dometic on my 2016 jay flight allows you to leave the knobs loose and it will supposedly auto dump but the catch 22 is that if left loose, even the smallest amount of wind can cause the awning to bang around. I always roll it up now if unattended. I also roll it up every night.
I'm curious to see what they say regarding auto dump and your warranty. I hope they replace it for you. It's a lousy feeling seeing your awning all messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #11

I have the 2016 version of the same trailer, it doesnt have the knob to tighten like the one north posted. mine did autodump, but it was a light rain at the time with slack wind
kiknads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #12

My 9100 A&E auto dumps, but I have it tilted and locked anyway all the time. Lost one manual awning in Arkansas due to no tilt. Broke tube in half and had to cut my way out of the rv. Then bent another tube in TN. Caught it before it broke. Needless to say, learned my lesson. The 9100 stays tilted regardless of auto dump feature. Not taking chances.

Hate all this happened.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:26 AM   #13
bap

We had ours break in the rain because it did not dump. Ours is a power awning but does not have the ability to tilt one end.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #14

Update

Got it in finally this Saturday, they called this afternoon to tell me they fixed it, replaced one arm assembly at a cost of $289, plus two hours labor for a total of $507. Will not warrantee it, say it's my fault for leaving it open and that it is not supposed to auto dump.
I don't think I mentioned before but when I was reattaching it so I could close it up for transport, I found an extra bolt on the ground. Identical to the ones that mount it to the camper, but none of the ones bolted to the camper were missing. So it's an extra bolt. I feel pretty certain that this bolt was inside the arm somewhere and caused it to jam and fail to dump. Going to do some more research into the Carefree to see what it says. The manual it came with has no info in it.
Worst part is we have reservations for this Friday and don't have $500 to go get the camper back...and I specifically asked before I brought it in of it would be warranteed. They didn't really answer, just said they could "take care of it".
Old 05-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #15
Site Team

You should be able to get that info quickly from the C of C website . Have your model number handy.
Mine is not adjustable but it does dump. Don't be standing under it when it does.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #16

Carefree website says nothing about auto dumping. Just how to adjust the degrees for the angle, and to not leave it open if the weather might get bad.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #17

my carefree auto dumps
Old 05-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #18

Is it a latitude?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacoDan View Post
Got it in finally this Saturday, they called this afternoon to tell me they fixed it, replaced one arm assembly at a cost of $289, plus two hours labor for a total of $507.
Replacing the awning arms is actually a pretty simple task. My dad and I just replaced both in just over an hour. I bought them both from Amazon for less than $600.
kwe1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #20

I definitely could have done it myself. I put the damaged part back up, could have probably take. It off and straightened the bent pieces enough to make them usable. Didn't know where to get parts, but I was really hoping they'd warranty it.