Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Power cord issues

I have a 23mbh and I was wondering if there was an easier way to handle the power cord? It seems like all the trailers I have seen just use the method of shoving the power coward I to a little area. When I do this it sometimes does not want to go. I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to this
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #2

Pull the cord all the way out and check to see if it's twisted,mine can get that way sometimes.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #3

...place a slight consistent roll on the cord and "coil" it as you insert it into the box. Works for me....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #4

x2 on the coiling idea....that is what I do.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, coil it clockwise in, counter clockwise out......, works for me.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #6

I got a kit and switched my cord to a removable one. Pushing a cold cord back in through the small opening was a pain, plus ants can use the power cord as a highway. With a removable cord the plug is sealed. I just roll up the power cord and stow it when traveling
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #7

I bought a 25 foot 30 RV cord and use it all the time instead of messing with stuffing the cord back in. I only pull the main one out a few inches just enough to plug into it. I agree, I would like to get the kit and convert mine too.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #8

Another tip is to wipe the cord with a clean rag with silicon spray on it. Lightly coating the cord will help it slip over itself when pushing back in. Using this along with the coiling method will help.

2012 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
gudde1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #9

I agree the cord can be a pain,but always pull all the cord out of the well, under full load, WH AC & MICRO the coiled cord will get hot. I am thinking about converting mine to a removable kind. I will try the cord tricks to see if it helps before making the change

Happy Camping
Buckeyejim
Columbus Oh
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
I bought a 25 foot 30 RV cord and use it all the time instead of messing with stuffing the cord back in. I only pull the main one out a few inches just enough to plug into it. I agree, I would like to get the kit and convert mine too.
I think I recall the manual stating the cord should be completely removed from the storage box when ever used for heat reasons. There is a potential for a lot of current to be drawn through the cord and it can get very hot and can cause issues if it's in the box. I always remove the entire cord, and that has helped prevent kinks and after a few uses it seems to develop a memory on how it should recoil in the box.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudde1251 View Post
Another tip is to wipe the cord with a clean rag with silicon spray on it. Lightly coating the cord will help it slip over itself when pushing back in. Using this along with the coiling method will help.
I would think this would pick up dirt and sand while laying on the ground.. no?
Old 06-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

I typically have a old rag in one hand to wipe it down (and to dry) while feeding it back into the storage area. I always have issues with my hand getting cut up on the little flappy door that wont stay up/open while doing this too. Thing has some sharp edges.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #13

Easy enough to convert to a twist on shore plug. They sell kits, you can even use the power cord that came with yout trailer. Three advantages, no pulling out, no pushing in, and one less opening for critters. Let's face facts, that cover with the slor for the cord is not the best thing in the world. They should make shore power standard from factory.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #14

You guys must be camping where it is cool, because after an afternoon of driving in the Texas heat or sitting in the sun, my cord will wind up anyway you want it too. I never uncoil anymore than needed to get to the pedestal. The large gauge cord should not heat up simply by use. If it is getting hot during use, something is wrong.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
You guys must be camping where it is cool, because after an afternoon of driving in the Texas heat or sitting in the sun, my cord will wind up anyway you want it too. I never uncoil anymore than needed to get to the pedestal. The large gauge cord should not heat up simply by use. If it is getting hot during use, something is wrong.
I guess it would depend on the gage. Let's say it's 10gage high strand count wire, I think that's what most 30amp cords are made from. That would be the minimun gage for 30 amps continous use. Coiling will derate the wire because it reduces the surface area for cooling. If it were 8 gage I would agree with you but I would want to know.

My 50 amp cord is 6 gage high strand count wire which is minimun for it's use.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
...place a slight consistent roll on the cord and "coil" it as you insert it into the box. Works for me....

How do you do this when one side is fixed and the other has to go in straight and would uncoil anyway
Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog4kneer View Post
Easy enough to convert to a twist on shore plug. They sell kits, you can even use the power cord that came with yout trailer. Three advantages, no pulling out, no pushing in, and one less opening for critters. Let's face facts, that cover with the slor for the cord is not the best thing in the world. They should make shore power standard from factory.

Okay so I found one kit but I do not want to cut the cord. Is there a kit that will accept your plug end (without cutting it) and then plug that int a receptacle on the inside and then on the outside you have your shore power connection?
Old 06-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
Okay so I found one kit but I do not want to cut the cord. Is there a kit that will accept your plug end (without cutting it) and then plug that int a receptacle on the inside and then on the outside you have your shore power connection?
No. Cut the cord just long enough to terminate it into the shore power receptacle that mounts into the RV exterior wall. Install the mating cord cap on the end of the remaining portion that already has the molded 30A plug on the other end. You will still have the same length of cord that your coach came with and you'll eliminate the coiled/wadded up cord inside the compartment.

Once you convert from the dark side (permanently attached cord) you will experience freedom like never before. Come join us.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
How do you do this when one side is fixed and the other has to go in straight and would uncoil anyway
As you push the shore power cord back into the box - work it in a (Clockwise) circular motion pushing the cord toward the top, R, bottom, L (imagine trying to coil up the cord inside the box)

As you push in on the cord - give a light consistent CLOCKWISE twist on the cord as well. This will aid a natural coiling / stacking effect inside the box.

Good Luck
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote