Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #1

Preventive maintenance for Eagle 328RLS

Hello. I am relatively new to this site, and have just purchased a 2009 Eagle 328RLS. I want to go through this trailer with a fine tooth comb before I take it to my property for the season. One of my concerns is the slide out, and how to properly lubricate, and keep it if good working order. Also, if there is a manual override for retracting this, I currently don't see anything in the manual. Also The type of "Rubber seal lubricant" to use to keep all the weather seals is a concern. I heard you should NOT use silicon based lubricants, as they can cause degradation to rubber. Any help or thoughts is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Natureboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #2

Congratulations on your new trailer and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you'll soon have lots of responses to your questions. While you are waiting, try the 'search' function on this site. You'll find tons of information and some for questions you didn't even know you had.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #3

Welcome aboard!

Keeping the slide-outs in good working order is very important.

Rubber lubricants are usually silicone based, since petroleum products usually attack rubber.

Definitely locate all manual overrides and keep the wrenches handy. Sometimes the mechanism will bind up and a quick manual back-and-forth will free it.

Wash and wax your new toy. This will give you a chance to go over the exterior and note any problems. Caulk any gaps, cracks, etc. as soon as practical.

Sanitize the water system and leave it pressurized with the pump on while you clean the interior. When the pump cycles after using no water for 1/2 an hour or more, start hunting for the leak(s).

Enjoy your new toy and to-do list.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #4

Thank you, and glad to be here. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions. Nice forum!
Natureboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #5

Since I no longer climb up on the roof, etc. I have always taken my units in to the dealer on an annual basis. They will go over the unit and re-seal any suspicious looking areas and just check everything out. Re-lubing slides and stabilizers as they go. They have never charged me more than $300 and I'm satisfied the unit is kept in great condition. Manufacturer is also satisfied if warranty issue comes up as to has unit been properly maintained. You younger guys would find more enjoyment doing it yourselves, I am sure. I used to be that way as well.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #6

I just did my yearly thing on my 2012 29RLDS. Used Scott's liquid gold on all interior wood, washed and waxed outside of trailer (Blackfire wax, easy to use with great results) treated the roof and resealed all vents and stuff on the roof.
the only thing I didn't do was grease the wheel bearings, I will do that in a week or two. After every use I vacuum all the interior, wash the floors, wipe down shower and all inside of the rig.
Once a year do the big stuff and then you can enjoy it he rest of the year.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote