Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #1

Price Question

I know from reading on the forum that 30% discount off MSRP is the way to go but I have yet to see a dealer in my area go less than 20% on a 2012 or 2013 and I live in south ga and have contacted 4 different dealers. That being said one dealer still has a few left over 2010`s that he has discounted 35 % off MSRP is that fair or should it be more since they are 3 model yrs old ? I have sold my current travel trailer so we are looking even harder. Thanks for any advice.
turbo-power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #2

Try a quote from RV direct then approach one of your dealers to see if they will do better. If not then maybe a trip to Orlando is within your future.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-power View Post
I know from reading on the forum that 30% discount off MSRP is the way to go but I have yet to see a dealer in my area go less than 20% on a 2012 or 2013 and I live in south ga and have contacted 4 different dealers. That being said one dealer still has a few left over 2010`s that he has discounted 35 % off MSRP is that fair or should it be more since they are 3 model yrs old ? I have sold my current travel trailer so we are looking even harder. Thanks for any advice.
We got about 31% off a 2012 model in August.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #4

We got pretty close to 30% off MSRP in the end as well. The initial price they gave us was about 25% off MSRP. We negotiated in the WDH and a year of free storage at their facility, figuring it's all semantics. Ultimately it worked out to about 30%. We went in with our "wildest dreams" offer, figuring their counter offer would be the price we were looking to pay. We were all satisfied in the end. (I crunch the numbers and then make my husband do the dirty work)

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #5

Sometimes you do have to drive a bit...I passed up about 10 dealers on the way to mine and got a really good deal. Keep calling - you will find one that wants to deal.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Site Team

Since the 2013`s have been out since May, the 2010`s are 3+ years old now. The markdown would have to be really impressive to start out with a "new" 3 year old trailer. The tires have already aged as well as the sealants. Some dealers will not budge much off MSRP, I tried one that would only come down about 10%. Ended up going with RV direct, ordered exactly what we wanted and got a factory fresh unit for over 30% off MSRP.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #7

Last winter we got about 30% off a brand new 2012 model.

They would have to be almost giving away a “new” 3 year old TT, for me to consider buying it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #8

I live in southern Michigan and the best deals on Jaycos in this area is at the rv connection in Middlebury, Indiana. They are located 2 1/2 miles from the Jayco factory and seem to be consistent with 30% off msrp. You can go to there website at www.yourrvconnection.com and pick out the unit you want with any options you would like and get a quote in a matter of a few hours.

Bob
cinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #9

IMHO don't get all hung up on % off MSRP. MSRP wildly manipulated by the selling dealers. Some places buffer MSRP to include a PDI/Dealer Prep charges, other include delivery of the trailer while some have both and others have none. All the matters is you feel comfortable with the deal. If you are solely focused on getting the "best deal" then all you can do is try to negotiate at several places and see what you get, then compare to RV Direct and other Internet wholesalers. There is always someone who will be able to buy better than you because of the specific curcumstances around thier situation...at the same time there is always someone who will do worse.

If you are financing, be sure to bring your own financing don't rely exlusivly on the dealer provided options. We financed, had our own prearranged, didn't tell the dealer but wanted to see what they could offer. Thier best options was 2 pts higher than what we had already arranged.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Site Team

One good thing about the Jayco website is you can "build and price" any RV they offer there. So actual MSRP can be determined. Not all manufacturers offer this feature which puts you completely at the mercy of dealers when trying to determine actual MSRP.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinbob View Post
...the best deals on Jaycos in this area is at the rv connection in Middlebury, Indiana...
Couldn't agree more about the Indiana RV Connection. I've never regretted driving 4000 miles round trip to buy my White Hawk from them. They're simply the best.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #12

I want to thank you all for your input. There are a couple of the 2010`s that he has that would suit our needs and has lots of options like the bike rack,roof ladder,hideabed,grill,extra insulation pkg,15kbtu A/C pkg to name a few. These trailers are jayflight G2`s and one eagle.

What would be a fair discounted rate since they are 3 model years old ? I am sure if any issues arose the 2yr factory warranty would take care of it. I really want to buy from someone at least a couple of hrs away or less in case if I have to have warranty work done. Thanks for all the input.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #13

You got that right. I am looking at a 2013 bungalow park model. I live in Jackson, MI and there are dealers in Lansing, MI (40 miles away) and Coldwater, MI (35 miles away). The RV Connection in Middlebury, IN is 100 miles away and there price for the model I am looking for are between $4,000 and $5,000 cheaper. Why would I not buy from the RV Connection?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #14

mrnoyb

You got that right. I am looking at a 2013 bungalow park model. I live in Jackson, MI and there are dealers in Lansing, MI (40 miles away) and Coldwater, MI (35 miles away). The RV Connection in Middlebury, IN is 100 miles away and there price for the model I am looking for are between $4,000 and $5,000 cheaper. Why would I not buy from the RV Connection?

Bob
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinbob View Post
I live in southern Michigan and the best deals on Jaycos in this area is at the rv connection in Middlebury, Indiana. They are located 2 1/2 miles from the Jayco factory and seem to be consistent with 30% off msrp. You can go to there website at www.yourrvconnection.com and pick out the unit you want with any options you would like and get a quote in a matter of a few hours.

Bob
This is where i just bought my TT. Great people and the best price. Plus, they make sure that when you
pick up your TT it is ready for camping. They give you all the hoses, LP and the extras as part of doing business.

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #16

I just got a quote from RV direct on a 2013 Jayflight in orlando which is the closest dealer to me and the discount was about 25 %. The MSRP is $ 29,907 and their price was $ 22,220. That price is lower than the dealers close by for a 2013 but I really like the idea of buying one closer in case I have to get warranty work done. Decisions Decisions .

I am also awaiting a quote from the rv connection.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
One good thing about the Jayco website is you can "build and price" any RV they offer there. So actual MSRP can be determined. Not all manufacturers offer this feature which puts you completely at the mercy of dealers when trying to determine actual MSRP.
When I purchased our TT in Oct 2012, our local dealer didn't have it on the lot so we considered ordering it. That dealer gave me a Jayco order sheet that listed MSRP and costed every option separately. Later that night, on the Jayco web site, I used thier build tool and got a totally different MSRP. The next day I called jayco to ask what actual MSRP was and they emailed me a new order/price form with once again different pricing. Finally, a week or so later we drove a couple hundred miles to a dealership that had a unit on thier lot so we could see it in person...guess what the "the window sticker" had once again different prices. So what I found was 4 documents/tools, all created by Jayco, for 2012 model year TTs that showed a different MSRP for identically optioned 26BH.

Hence my opinion, MSRP is being manipulated to assist in making sales...and Jayco, intentionally or not, is supporting this practice.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
When I purchased our TT in Oct 2012, our local dealer didn't have it on the lot so we considered ordering it. That dealer gave me a Jayco order sheet that listed MSRP and costed every option separately. Later that night, on the Jayco web site, I used thier build tool and got a totally different MSRP. The next day I called jayco to ask what actual MSRP was and they emailed me a new order/price form with once again different pricing. Finally, a week or so later we drove a couple hundred miles to a dealership that had a unit on thier lot so we could see it in person...guess what the "the window sticker" had once again different prices. So what I found was 4 documents/tools, all created by Jayco, for 2012 model year TTs that showed a different MSRP for identically optioned 26BH.

Hence my opinion, MSRP is being manipulated to assist in making sales...and Jayco, intentionally or not, is supporting this practice.

Clubhouse,
That is very interesting. The dealer that has the 2010`s that we have looked at online are already discounted on the dealers website so we are able to see the discount in writing. I know that they are 3 yrs old also but the wife and I like the fact that they have options that we are looking for and the interior wood color is lighter which we like. I have not spoken to the dealer yet but they may even dicount them some more .
As someone mentioned earlier about the tires and sealants sitting that long, I would think that Jayco would take care of any issues if they arose. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post

How much did the Jayco MSRP prices vary? (not dealer MSRP)
Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-power View Post
Clubhouse,
That is very interesting. The dealer that has the 2010`s that we have looked at online are already discounted on the dealers website so we are able to see the discount in writing. I know that they are 3 yrs old also but the wife and I like the fact that they have options that we are looking for and the interior wood color is lighter which we like. I have not spoken to the dealer yet but they may even dicount them some more .
As someone mentioned earlier about the tires and sealants sitting that long, I would think that Jayco would take care of any issues if they arose. Thanks for the advice.
Jayco will honor the two year warranty on a new unit even if it is three years old. If a unit sits on the lot a long time it can become subject to what some call "lot rot". That simply means everything exposed to the weather has already aged 3 years. The tires have a certain life to them wether used or not, some say replace every 5 years regardless of tread condition. All that being said if you find a unit you really like at a discount which takes all this into account, then go for it. As you mentioned the light oak interior is no longer in production, we have that in ours and like it. I can tell you our 2010 Jayflight has been a solid unit. As for the dealer pricing, I`m willing to wager that a unit that has been sitting on the lot that long the dealer will be ready to deal on that baby. Make them a lowball offer and see what happens. 40% off MSRP at least. If they refuse to come down, walk away and continue the quest elsewhere.