Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntr View Post
I live in New Brunswick, Canada where temps drop below zero often during our winters. I just checked up on my 2003 Jayco RBS 28' Fiver and found that our vinyl floor had split. I'm devastated but I plan on just gluing it back down and moving on. I could get it replaced but not in the budget and I feel that if I do a careful job and not make a mess of it, it shouldn't kill too much resale value. I agree with the comments made about Jayco, they just bought the vinyl and installed it, they didn't make it. However, I feel they should've made an effort to research what quality of material they purchased considering the fact that their RV's are sold in colder climates as well as warmer ones.
I feel bad that this sort of thing happened to me and any one else but I also feel the blame should be thrown at the company that made the vinyl and the colder climates, not at Jayco( I'm just saying). I wonder if our house kitchen floor was put outdoor all winter what kind of condition would one find it in? My bet is that it would split as well sooner or later. If we Jayco owners were rich we could build heated storages for our toys and not worry about pipes freezing and floors splitting and rodents chewing and and and...
Similar problem in Winnipeg this past winter. It was very cold for long stretches. My trailer was a 2008 19H. I had 2-3' crack that I glued down, then sealed using a vinyl sealant.

We planned on selling it anyhow, so I wasn't about to invest $$$ in a new floor for someone else to enjoy.

I've heard that Jayco had started using a softer vinyl that is less susceptible to cracking.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Big Sky,

Did you glue your new flooring down or is it a floater...., and what material did you end up going with?

Bob
Hi Bob,

The installer recommended a fiberglass backed vinyl, one sheet. He also believed that gluing it down would be better. He does quite a few of these every year. One of the reason's I went with him, his experience.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Big Sky,

Thanks for the follow-up....., did you find that the fiberglass back vinyl thicker/heavier then the original flooring supplied be Jayco?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #44

Hey, I know this is an old thread.

My booth was removed by prior owner and I'm using a TT table and chairs I got used, but have floor holes and damaged sections. So after looking around I went with a similar waterproof vinyl plank from Lowes. Its designed to "floating" however, I'm not a big floating fan and have installed 1500sf of 5/8" bamboo hardwood in my house glued down. So, I'm going to glue it. I am somewhat concerned about heat/cold cycles, but WTH, I live in Texas and its mostly just hot. Its not a huge area either where you have to worry about adding all the expansion and contraction.

The flooring is probably a bit heavier, 2 boxes seem enough to do my trailer 27' and weight maybe 30lbs. Its pretty dense stuff.

The guy who posted about reinforcing his floor - yea that sounds good - I've ripped homes down to studs and replaced main beams, etc so I know about construction, but if you look at the pictures...his trailer is pretty much permanently installed in his yard and looks to be going nowhere. In that case, sure you can add as much as you want to. I tow with a 1/2 ton Tundra and have boondocked, the water and gear make the truck struggle a little, so since I didn't really have an issue with my floor (the T&G actually will even add stiffness) I'm not bothering.

I'll take pics when I do it, I only got materials but it looks similar to Big Sky's.
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote