Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

Progressive Industires EMS-HW30C

After reading forums on surge protectors I decided to bite the bullet and ordered this surge protector from Camping World at a great price. It arrived direct from Progressive within a couple days. Once I received the unit I confirmed where I was going to install. After looking at my options I decided to install the unit right below the water heater area in my Jayco 2011 29QB unit. This was "perfect" as it was where the outside power cord terminated and tied into the trailer power line. The only downfall with this area was that the space was very tight and did not allow much room for my hands to get in there and work.

To install I removed the junction box where the 2 power lines connected, cut and stripped the wires to the correct lengths, then followed the instructions provided by Progressive Industries. Once I confirmed everything was connected correctly I attached the remote display and tested the unit. One change I did have to make was to change the time delay from the factory preset to 136 seconds since my Coleman Mach air unit did not have any built in delay. This was just removing a jumper. The unit worked like a charm so I again disconnected the shore power and finished the installation. Like I said the space I was working in was very small, but the unit fit perfectly in the space like it was designed to be there.

Now I have a little peace of mind in the event an adverse event happens, but I hope to never have to test this unit’s capability. One cool thing is the remote display allows me to see the Voltage, amps and any errors. The remote can also be used to bypass the main pcb in the event it becomes damaged, but still allows for surge protection.

Would highly receommend this surge protector!
Attached Images

weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #2

Cool! How much did it set you back? Pics of the install would be fun!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #3

Camping World has the lowest price I found and it was $210 + $9 for shipping since I am a Good Sam Member.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekender View Post
after reading forums on surge protectors i decided to bite the bullet and ordered this surge protector from camping world at a great price. It arrived direct from progressive within a couple days. Once i received the unit i confirmed where i was going to install. After looking at my options i decided to install the unit right below the water heater area in my jayco 2011 29qb unit. This was "perfect" as it was where the outside power cord terminated and tied into the trailer power line. The only downfall with this area was that the space was very tight and did not allow much room for my hands to get in there and work.

To install i removed the junction box where the 2 power lines connected, cut and stripped the wires to the correct lengths, then followed the instructions provided by progressive industries. Once i confirmed everything was connected correctly i attached the remote display and tested the unit. One change i did have to make was to change the time delay from the factory preset to 136 seconds since my coleman mach air unit did not have any built in delay. This was just removing a jumper. The unit worked like a charm so i again disconnected the shore power and finished the installation. Like i said the space i was working in was very small, but the unit fit perfectly in the space like it was designed to be there.

Now i have a little peace of mind in the event an adverse event happens, but i hope to never have to test this unit’s capability. One cool thing is the remote display allows me to see the voltage, amps and any errors. The remote can also be used to bypass the main pcb in the event it becomes damaged, but still allows for surge protection.

Would highly receommend this surge protector!
x 2!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #5

I have the Progressive EMS-PT50C and won't hook up to shore power anywhere without it. At my home base last year the EMS-PT50C shut off my power due to high voltage. I don't mean a voltage spike, I mean high voltage for an extended period above 132 volts. A transformer was failing in my area and there are 9 s&b's on the same transformer. All of them saw the high voltage too or maybe I should say they experienced it, but didn't even know it.

I used my generator while the power company came out and verified I was right and changed the offending transformer. Two of my neighbors did ask me what was happening since the power company came to my lot first.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #6

Yes this is a great product. We had this on our TT when the park we were at had a transformer low voltage problem. It shut it right down with no damage and it will show you the code for the shut down. I am having the dealer install one on our new Pinnacle when it arrives.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #7

I have this unit also and gives me peace of mind 24/7. It came highly recommended by the good members of this forum around the time I purchased my Jayco
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote