Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #21

The EMS is definitely worth the difference in price. Imagine the cost of replacing circuit boards in the RV and any personal electronics plugged in, if there is an over voltage or other issue.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #22

Any advantage on a portable or hard wired? Im looking at the EMS pt30x by progressive industries. Once u get to CG u plug the EMS to check for voltage than hook up the camper?
Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #23

I've owned one of each. A30A pole mount EMS and currently a hard-wired 50A EMS.
Pole mount is easy, plug-n-play and it's between the pole and all of your equipment (power cord) and will go with you to the new TT when you upgrade (if it's the right amperage).
But, it could grow legs or forget to get in the TT when you leave. It's also one more thing on the set-up, break-down lists.

Installing a hard-wire may be difficult depending on the TT, my 5th has plenty of room behind the power panel and would have to be removed when you upgrade (if it wants to go with you). Your power cord is between the pole and the EMS so it may be susceptible to damage.
But, once installed you don't have anything else to do except remember to look at the remote display. It doesn't have to remember to go with you and if it grows legs you probably have larger problems.

I prefer the hard-wire version.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #24

Hardwire can also detect a problem in your umbilical cord. While rare, it does happen.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #25

I would go for the EMS. One low voltage frying experience will have you wishing you had spent the money.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
Any advantage on a portable or hard wired? Im looking at the EMS pt30x by progressive industries. Once u get to CG u plug the EMS to check for voltage than hook up the camper?
I have a PT50X (actually I have 2 of them). One is for every day use and the other is a spare. 3 times in the past 24 hours we have had a power outage here in the park where I am hosting. The 2 1/2 minute delay by the PT50 after power is restored is nice for my 2 a/c's. I do go turn them off during this delay just so they aren't on immediately when power is restored.

To answer your question, plug in your rig to the PT30 or 50, plug it in to the power pedestal and flip the breaker. If there is a problem you will see if during the 2 1/2 minute delay and you can turn the power off. If the issue is one the PT is programmed to protect you against it won't send power to you rig at all.

I will not plug my rig in anywhere anytime without my PT50 in line.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #27

I encourage everyone with an RV to get a Surge Protector with digital readout!

20 years ago, we had popups, without a microwave, frig, or AC that needed protection. Back then, my inverter was solid state and hummed.

Fast forward to today. Every RV has sensitive electronic controls, RV parks electrical systems are often beyond max capacity. (Think Texas in the Summer) Under-voltage, current surges, and over-voltage are increasingly common.

Why wouldn't I spend $250-300 to protect thousands in electronics?

Hardwired or portable? Seems like a Chevy vs. Ford argument to me.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
I encourage everyone with an RV to get a Surge Protector with digital readout!

20 years ago, we had popups, without a microwave, frig, or AC that needed protection. Back then, my inverter was solid state and hummed.

Fast forward to today. Every RV has sensitive electronic controls, RV parks electrical systems are often beyond max capacity. (Think Texas in the Summer) Under-voltage, current surges, and over-voltage are increasingly common.

Why wouldn't I spend $250-300 to protect thousands in electronics?

Hardwired or portable? Seems like a Chevy vs. Ford argument to me.
X2.

Just get one. Paying later can be terrible expensive.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Another Gracias as the DW does think I am having an affair with the FED EX delivery driver as I do tend to love new stuff for the TT and it helps to justify every order from Amazon.
Progressive PT30C arrived today. DW asked what the FEDEX driver was wearing . I told her all of you made me do it!!!!!!!!

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote