Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #1

Progressive industries

Hey what is your opinion on the surge protector vs the EMS. Big diff in price, the ems could detect low/high voltage to shut off whenever it needed, if that does happen the gas will run the fridge. Which I rather only use the gas for cooking. My last trip the campsite had lost power and recently my friend had it happen to him and damage his 30amp male plug. Seems to happen a lot on the area we live in. Long Island ny.

Is the extra money worth it to get the EMS?
Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
Hey what is your opinion on the surge protector vs the EMS. Big diff in price, the ems could detect low/high voltage to shut off whenever it needed, if that does happen the gas will run the fridge. Which I rather only use the gas for cooking. My last trip the campsite had lost power and recently my friend had it happen to him and damage his 30amp male plug. Seems to happen a lot on the area we live in. Long Island ny.

Yes, and I bet you'll hear that same thing many times on this forum.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #3

Absolutely yes! My EMS has done it's job time and time again protecting me against mostly low voltage dips. I love having visibility to what draw is being placed on my electrical system and what voltage is running at.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #4

Power issues can do many thousands of dollars of damage to your camper. The Progressive can be had for $100-$200 more than a cheap surge protector....cheap insurance for something with a lifetime warranty....
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post

neither one would prevent damage to his male plug
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
No but it would prevent the damage from travelling to his sensitive electronic devices downstream from the pedestal.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #7

There is a reason for the price difference. You are comparing apples and organges on this one. Each year we all own and use more sensitive electronic devices in our RV's. Protection you get with an EMS is many times better than a simple surge protector.

I went 20 years with pups and 1 TT and never felt the need for the EMS. My 2014 Whawk never leaves the driveway without one.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #8

I believe all the posts that EMS is better but still have not ever had what the EMS adds over the surge protector explained to me in laymen's terms. If you know and understand it please use laymen's terms.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #9

The Progressive Industries EMS provides in addition to surge protection:

1) Low voltage protection- if the voltage available becomes too low to safely operate your air conditioner it will cut off the electricity. This is important because your compressor (and other devices) can be damaged operating on voltage that is too low.

2) High voltage protection - same as 1) but for high voltage.

3) Reversed hot/neutral protection - protects against death caused by your trailer being "hot" with voltage.

4) No ground protection - same as 3) but against a different type of issue.

My EMS has protected us against all the problems above. Low voltage in the summer is especially prevalent. Reversed hot/neutral or no ground conditions are especially dangerous.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
The Progressive Industries EMS provides in addition to surge protection:

1) Low voltage protection- if the voltage available becomes too low to safely operate your air conditioner it will cut off the electricity. This is important because your compressor (and other devices) can be damaged operating on voltage that is too low.

2) High voltage protection - same as 1) but for high voltage.

3) Reversed hot/neutral protection - protects against death caused by your trailer being "hot" with voltage.

4) No ground protection - same as 3) but against a different type of issue.

My EMS has protected us against all the problems above. Low voltage in the summer is especially prevalent. Reversed hot/neutral or no ground conditions are especially dangerous.
Gracias Mi Amigo - even I understood

Old 08-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #11

To add to what RVhiker said...

The EMS will monitor the power after a disconnect and reconnect the power when the condition is rectified. This feature was very important to us. We have dogs that are often left in the trailer when we go shopping etc. We did not want a temporary condition shutoff our power for long periods.

Our old surge protector did not monitor for a number of conditions the EMS does and, once tripped, our old surge protector had to be manually reset to restore power.

True story from a couple of years ago: One morning a neighbor (who obviously was having some kind of electrical issue with his rig while getting ready to leave the CG) unplugged his rig and that tripped our old surge protector. Our power would have been off the entire time we were gone if we had gone sightseeing before he disconnected. That incident was enough for the DW to understand why the EMS when we had a 'perfectly good' surge protector.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
To add to what RVhiker said...

The EMS will monitor the power after a disconnect and reconnect the power when the condition is rectified. This feature was very important to us. We have dogs that are often left in the trailer when we go shopping etc. We did not want a temporary condition shutoff our power for long periods.

Our old surge protector did not monitor for a number of conditions the EMS does and, once tripped, our old surge protector had to be manually reset to restore power.

True story from a couple of years ago: One morning a neighbor (who obviously was having some kind of electrical issue with his rig while getting ready to leave the CG) unplugged his rig and that tripped our old surge protector. Our power would have been off the entire time we were gone if we had gone sightseeing before he disconnected. That incident was enough for the DW to understand why the EMS when we had a 'perfectly good' surge protector.
Another Gracias as the DW does think I am having an affair with the FED EX delivery driver as I do tend to love new stuff for the TT and it helps to justify every order from Amazon.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Another Gracias as the DW does think I am having an affair with the FED EX delivery driver as I do tend to love new stuff for the TT and it helps to justify every order from Amazon.
Lol! X2
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #14

Quote:
That's not necessarily true. Your male plug is plugged into the EMS if your using a "portable" model. IE one that is not hard wired into the RV.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #15

I have a 30 amp hard wired PI EMS. Last month we had a high voltage condition out in Greenport. EMS shut the trailer down. EMS is the only way to go IMO.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
That's not necessarily true. Your male plug is plugged into the EMS if your using a "portable" model. IE one that is not hard wired into the RV.
ok, then in the case of a loose fitting or high resistance pedestal, your ems plug would be ruined .
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #17

Quote:
ok, then in the case of a loose fitting or high resistance pedestal, your ems plug would be ruined .

Actually your EMS, when it detects a voltage of + or - 10% would immediately disconnect all power. It will also detect bad ground, reverse polarity etc. I suppose in some rare set of circumstances the plug may have some damage...which would be 100% covered under Progressives warranty, could be damaged. But, in the vast majority of cases the power would be turned off and your cord protected. This is the only advantage I can see in a portable unit, your power cord is also covered where in a hard wired EMS the cord would be left unprotected.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #18

Absolutely worth it!!!!! I had a "problem" the first time that I tried to use my EMS with my generator (right after I pulled into a state CG with no hook-ups!). Called them up, and the "on-duty telephone tech" not only told me what I needed to do, but instead of trying to sell me the part that I needed to trick my generator into thinking that it was a grounded system, he told me what parts I could get (for less than $5) at a local Home Depot, and I was in-business within the hour!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #19

My hardwired EMS unit tripped for the first time on this last trip which was only my second trip after installing it. It was during a time when a bunch of people were pulling in and setting up. I was trying to take a nap and I heard it trip and come back on a few seconds later. I'm assuming it was a low voltage situation due to everyone powering up. At any rate, I had a big smile on my face knowing it had done it's job. I reset the clock on the microwave and went on about my day.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:09 AM   #20

To further add on, get the PI EMS 30A or 50A, which ever is needed and don't look back. They are well worth the extra money.

I have the portable unit, and will not plug my trailer into the pedestal, until the PI EMS is plugged in first. The PI EMS will check the electrical system out first. For example, once you PI EMS found an open ground condition on the 30A side of the pedestal. Fortunately, I had a 50A to 30A dog bone, and that side of the pedestal was fine.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote