Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Exclamation Propane leak at high altitude

We have a 2015 Jay Flight. On our trips we have experienced a propane smell at high altitudes. The alarm has gone off a couple of times. We have no problem with lighting the stove at those altitudes so I don't think it's the mixture.
We've had the trailer in twice for the issue but the techs cannot detect a leak. This was done in Phoenix (1000 foot level). They (the RV repair site), said they contacted Jayco and Jayco said adjustments in the stove defined in the owners manual may be necessary but this again seems to be for adjusting the mixture.
Anyone else have this problem?
snerdwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #2

I haven't had any issues at high altitude but I have had friends that have. Mostly they have had flow issues post regulator. For one it turned out that the lack of air pressure was keeping a check valve from opening. That being said, I don't know what is causing your actual issue but it's not going to be fixed at low altitudes. It might be worth it to find an RV repair place near where you were camping. That's what my friends had to do. Sorry I can't be more help but I know that the altitude can mess with the LP system pretty good sometimes and it's really frustrating.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

What altitude does your problem begin at? As part of our recent home sale, the buyer hired a home inspector. He noted in his report that propane was detected at the furnace. Neither of our two detectors have ever alerted, we've never smelled it, and there has been no problem in 17 years. So he must have had a sensitive sniffer that an RV shop might not have.

Since gas expands at high altitude,( just check out a potato chip bag in our pantry or open a Coke bottle at our 8900' home,) your problem may only be detectable at high elevation, and then with proper equipment. It should not be too difficult to detect if the leak is such that you can smell it. If it's a pin hole leak in the tubing, tracing the entire length of the lines may be difficult, but the problem is most likely at a more easily reached connection.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #4

Thank you for your replies they are helpful. We noticed the smell in Santa Fe and Colorado Springs. But not when we were in Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, or Texas. The smell returned when we arrived in Flagstaff at 7,000 feet.
We'll have to bring in someone when we're above 4000 feet again.
snerdwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #5

I live and camp at or above that altitude. Have never had a leak that was not a leak. If you have a leak you should find and fix it
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high altitudes, propane smell