Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

Pulling trailer with x-tend a chock installed

Wonder if that happened to any of you ?

If so what happenned, x-chock has been destroyed ?, Trailer just refuse to move ? You managed to drag the wheels on the ground ?

Any thing not mentinned above, please share thanks

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #2

All **** would break loose. Bet one would only do it once! How far did you pull it?
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #3

Oh I never made that mistake...yet...I was just wondering at the end if this X-Tend a chock has some capacity at doing some sort of handbrake work. In other word doing a better job than the cheapo wheel chocks that we see everywhere

Old 04-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #4

So here is what I did to ensure I never forgot to remove the x-chock. I got a length of plastic covered flexible wire (at Home Depot) and I strung it through my two wheel chocks and through one of the x-chock ratchet holes. I used a small d-clip to attach it to the x-chock. Now when I get ready to leave and remove the wheel chocks, I am forced to deal with the x-chock so i don't forget to remove it.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Oh I never made that mistake...yet...I was just wondering at the end if this X-Tend a chock has some capacity at doing some sort of handbrake work. In other word doing a better job than the cheapo wheel chocks that we see everywhere
NO. DO NOT USE IN PLACE OF WHEEL CHOCK.

They were designed to be a stabilizer not a wheel chock and while I will do my best Sgt. Schultz impression. I know nothing about accidently leaving one in and trying to drive away.

Let's just say a friends cousins brother inlaw (twice removed). Had that happen and they just popped out. No damage to anything, just a loud pop noise.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #6

I will keep using chocks, its more like added insurance :-) thanks for your input guys

Old 04-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
NO. DO NOT USE IN PLACE OF WHEEL CHOCK.

They were designed to be a stabilizer not a wheel chock and while I will do my best Sgt. Schultz impression. I know nothing about accidently leaving one in and trying to drive away.

Let's just say a friends cousins brother inlaw (twice removed). Had that happen and they just popped out. No damage to anything, just a loud pop noise.
I just read through the entire BAL web site and no where do they say that you must use regular chocks with the X-chock. In fact, they say:

"The X-Chock starts off where the Deluxe Tire Locking Chock left off but it’s new, slimmer design will fit into more axle applications.
  • Provides added stabilization and prevents tire shifts by applying opposing force to tandem tire applications.
  • As opposed to other chocks, the X-Chock works with the tires’ natural movement instead of against them."
If you want to use both types of chock together in tandem, a 'belt and suspenders' type approach, that is completely up to you but it really isn't necessary or required. That said, I used the regular X-chocks on my previous TT with closely spaced axles and they worked wonderfully. I have the wide stance axles on my current TT, a 2015 White Hawk 27DSRL, and while they lock the tires in place just fine they don't seem to stabilize the trailer as much. I think it has to do with the axles being so far apart but that is just a guess.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #8

Russ661 I guess everybody here is kind of right. The way I look at it, and according to the instruction supplied , we have to chock the wheel with regular chocks before uncoupling or coupling, and in between the ex-tend a chock are sufficient and even better.

But since the regular chocks are in place, who would remove them ? What do you think

Old 04-27-2015, 04:19 AM   #9

As long as your site is reasonably level (not an actual incline) there is no reason to use additional chocks. That said, you should be sure to place the in the center of the wheels and perfectly vertical. If they are not properly set they CAN pop out.

When I set up I back in, level side-to-side, place the X-Chocks, then come off the ball.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #10

X Chocks should be the LAST thing installed and the FIRST thing removed. Moving the tongue jack up and down while X Chocks are installed is a bad idea. The axles turn slightly while doing this and it binds up the chocks with torque.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #11

Tongue jack on a 6X6 board dropped about 2 inches when we had 6 inches of rain in about 3 hours. Lots of dirt got moved during the night. I guess I picked the wrong place to stop in a drive through spot after getting told to move because the road was getting flooded and only 1 way in/out. There was so much torque the x-chocks were twisted and digging into the tires. Corner stabilizer had not been dropped because it was midnight - I was wet- and cold -and -and -well you know what I mean. Anyway, I had to release the X-chocks to get them back in proper position even after cranking tongue jack up to get level. Would not like to see something torqued that much go flying out and smack someone if the wheels did not lock up trying to pull out. Last on, first off fan, and I also use ground chocks even on a concrete pad because I have seen the wind push one camper about 6 inches forward and off the tongue jack cheater boards(earlier the same night. . It stopped moving when the jack stuck into the ground.

Johnie and Brenda
Central Illinois
2012 Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7
2012 Jayco 242
jmactootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #12

I like the x-chock for stabilizing the TT. I also feel better knowing the TT won’t go anywhere if one of the wheel chocks moves or gets moved. Some of the sites we have stayed at had some significant elevation changes near the edge of the sites. My earlier point about connecting the x-chock to my wheel chocks using a simple wire loop was to ensure I would never forget to remove the x-chock before pulling away. If I’m in a hurry or not thinking, there’s no way I’m moving with the x-chock still installed. Just one more stupid story I don’t have to tell.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Wonder if that happened to any of you ?

If so what happenned, x-chock has been destroyed ?, Trailer just refuse to move ? You managed to drag the wheels on the ground ?

Happened to me once, one side only. A little pop from the tires and the x-chock was spit out, no harm done except for feeling a bit stupid.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:36 AM   #14

Do those who have seasonal sites use these and leave then installed for months?
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #15
Site Team

I was breaking camp one morning and a fellow camper finished before me. He forgot to remove the X chock and when he pulled off the chock came flying over into my campsite. He drove off, unaware that it was there.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #16

The x-chock's will not do the job of the wheel chocks. If your trailer starts to roll they will pop out! They were not meant to take the place of wheel chocks, they are for stabilizing only, and they do a very good job of it.