Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #1

Pump not Priming

I have a new 2011 JayFeather 29L. I have had a couple issues with the water pump on early trips and after dis-assembly for troubleshooting, I found a considerable amount of plastic shavings and plastic pieces in the pump and lines coming from the fresh water tank. I've cleaned it thoroughly and haven't found any more in subsequent tear-downs (5 times last night---read on).

Last night we set up and I filled the FW tank to overflowing. When I switched on the pump, it ran without stopping but never primed from the fresh water tank. I closed the FW tank valve, opened the winterizing tube valve and tried to prime from a gallon jug...nothing. It would not pull. I dis-assembled several times to try to identify the problem. Everything looks normal and I didn't see any more debris on subsequent tear-downs. Pump had just a little water/moisture in it each time.

I eventually got it to work but it was an involved process. I held the line above the pump, poured water in filling the tube completely. I then had to seal my lips around the winterizing tube and blow into the tube to force the water into the pump (even with the tube full and above the pump it would not prime with gravity). After forcing the water into the pump by blowing, the pump primed and now works fine pulling from the FW tank without any trouble. Overnight, the pump held pressure and works fine this morning. I know the pump is suppose to self prime but I'm at a loss for what's not working right....any ideas on what might be the cause? Could I still have a blockage before the pump that is preventing water from getting to the pump but "blowing" water into pump helps the situation?

2007 Jayco JayFeather 26L
4J's_&_M_with_Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming that there aren't any air leaks around any of the pump water line connections, adding in the time and effort you have put into it thus far, IMO it's time to take it back to the dealer for a warranty service claim.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #3

Sounds like you might have had a air block and pump would not prime and when you blew on it you forced water past. sounds strange but I have had same problem on other trailers and with other water pumps at fire station.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4J's_&_M_with_Jayco View Post
I have a new 2011 JayFeather 29L. I have had a couple issues with the water pump on early trips and after dis-assembly for troubleshooting, I found a considerable amount of plastic shavings and plastic pieces in the pump and lines coming from the fresh water tank. I've cleaned it thoroughly and haven't found any more in subsequent tear-downs (5 times last night---read on).

Last night we set up and I filled the FW tank to overflowing. When I switched on the pump, it ran without stopping but never primed from the fresh water tank. I closed the FW tank valve, opened the winterizing tube valve and tried to prime from a gallon jug...nothing. It would not pull. I dis-assembled several times to try to identify the problem. Everything looks normal and I didn't see any more debris on subsequent tear-downs. Pump had just a little water/moisture in it each time.

I eventually got it to work but it was an involved process. I held the line above the pump, poured water in filling the tube completely. I then had to seal my lips around the winterizing tube and blow into the tube to force the water into the pump (even with the tube full and above the pump it would not prime with gravity). After forcing the water into the pump by blowing, the pump primed and now works fine pulling from the FW tank without any trouble. Overnight, the pump held pressure and works fine this morning. I know the pump is suppose to self prime but I'm at a loss for what's not working right....any ideas on what might be the cause? Could I still have a blockage before the pump that is preventing water from getting to the pump but "blowing" water into pump helps the situation?
I just had same problem !! Put antifreeze through it for winter everything ok. Just took TT out and pump didn't work. Noticed a loose clamp but was like that when I stored it and sucked antifreeze . So I tightened it and filled tube with water and had to blow it through pump like you did. Got it working but takes a little longer and louder to build pressure. Wondering how this happened over winter? TT is a 2013 jayco 26 bh.wondering if pump is shot now ?
Kodiakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #5

If you had that much trash in the pump I would have to assume that the impeller was damaged. It may not look like it but it's probably not sealing tightly or not staying up against the walls of the pump as it spins.

I bet you wind up replacing the pump. Even if you replace the impeller you may still have damage to the walls of the pump chamber.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #6

For the time you spend on trying to get it to work, you may just want to go ahead and invest in a new pump. I think they're around $60 on-line. You can upgrade to a quieter one for a bit more. While you're at it, get a trash filter for the inlet side to keep debris from getting into the pump again.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4J's_&_M_with_Jayco View Post

The pump on my 2010 died last year suddenly. One day it worked and the next it didn't. I just replaced it with a new one. Not that expensive and a better pump than the original.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:17 AM   #8
Site Team

Anyone know the lifespan of a rv pump.

Yeah, I know there are many things that determine that but I have never had to replace one on a camper ever and I have owned some old campers that still had the original pump installed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
If you had that much trash in the pump I would have to assume that the impeller was damaged. It may not look like it but it's probably not sealing tightly or not staying up against the walls of the pump as it spins.

I bet you wind up replacing the pump. Even if you replace the impeller you may still have damage to the walls of the pump chamber.
There's no impeller in these pumps, at least with the Shurflo RV pump models. They are diaphragm pumps.

Here are a couple of links to Shurflow documents that may help.

http://www.shurflo.com/images/files/...oubleShoot.pdf

http://www.shurflo.com/images/files/...s/911-1024.pdf
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

I have experienced the same problem. I do no tuse the pump for fresh water ,only for winterizing. Two yers in a row I could not get the pump to prime, it just keep running with no suction. First year I replaced the valve assembly ( see item 3 in photos http://www.shurflo.com/images/files/...s/911-1024.pdf

Second year, same problem. I disassembled the pump and found the valves were stuck closed. Got them unstuck and used water proof grease to coat them, reassembled and it worked. Waiting for fall and winterizing time to see if it had lasting effect.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #11

Well I ordered a new drive assembly repair kit for my water pump. It's actually the rubber diaphragm part of pump called " drive assembly". Put it in and mint it works again. Something must have happened over the winter to rubber diaphragm ? $39 part so I am back in business now.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #12

Did you have a valve downstream of the pump open? Sometimes that's the trick. Could also be a check valve issue.
6 year Navy Vet (Bubblehead)
22 year Volunteer Firefighter (retired)
5 year Fire District Commissioner
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #13

Sounds like an air lock to me. Can't prime correctly without air. Take the pump out and test it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #14

Had pump out twice and took apart put back didn't work same thing. Replaced drive assembly and worked right away!! Now with it working pumped water right away and built pressure . Drained everything and Tryed again and worked great.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #15

My setup has a winterizing hose and valve close to the pump much like this pictorial show. One time my pump would not prime and I finally found the valve was not completely closed off. Might test yours and make it is is not leaking air from the open end of the winterizing hose...

this hose setup is also a good place to test to see if the problem is local or in the tank etc... Set the valve to winterize and stick the hose in a bucket of water and see if the pump picks it up

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote