Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Unhappy Punched a hole in my AC on the 2nd trip out - Suggestions on repair ?

Hello,

I can hear you laughing. :hihi: Yeah, Yeah . . . I'm not always used to having to look "up" all the time yet when turning around towing and caught a piece of rusty metal that was an old sign hanger right on the front of the Coleman AC unit.

The damage: If facing from front of the TT standing on the roof - it ripped a hole in the plastic shroud cover and punched about a 1/2 inch wide x 3 inch long "slit" in the sheet metal of the AC unit itself. Luckily, the hole is just short of the condenser coil in the AC unit and did not do any electrical damage. The area "hit" is where cold air is pumped into the adjoining ducting area within the ceiling of the TT.

So anyway, I need to repair this hole - the AC units still works fine - I am thinking about the following:

1. Quick set epoxy and a "patch" made of aluminum flashing, maybe also seal the edges?

2. Drill and pop rivet a sheet metal square (most difficult and I don't want to introduce metal into the ac system from drilling)

3. Patch with fiberglass sheet ( I am afraid heat stress might cause to come unbonded )

4. Suggestions ???

Thanks!
veryconfusing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

Here's the link to RVP repair parts. The first thing I would do is check to see if you can buy the proper parts first to enact the repair. Because the unit is so new, I would go new parts first, it may help with a warranty repair later?
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

I would go with sheet metal and pop rivets and then seal the edges with duct tape. The amount of metal you are going to introduce drilling holes for pop rivets is easily cleaned up and is neglible compared to what it gets in manufacturing and never gets cleaned up.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

First, don't beat yourself up about this incident. I think that everybody has had something similar happen, or almost happen.

I like the pop rivet and sheet metal idea.

If the damage to the shroud is extensive, you might consider buying a new shroud.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #5

JB Weld the sheetmetal. Sand it wipe it clean and apply the JB Weld or some type of epoxy and forget it.
2006 GMC Ext Cab 2500HD 4X4/6.0/4.10
RTR!
gilldawg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

JB WELD - Wow, thanks ! Forgot about that stuff, I seem to remember actually filling a cracked case of an engine block on a junker dirtbike years and years ago and it never failed, even after a couple more years of life. It's tough stuff ! Great Idea !

As per future warranty issues - I'm assuming it's 100% out now since I smashed it and it will never appear factory. ( the AC unit )
I ended up pulling it and found no other damage thanks to how loose the bolts were from the factory and the nice large foam gasket it rides on.

Insurance: I would file a claim but I guarantee my rates will go up at renewal so I'll just pay out of pocket if I have to replace the whole unit.

Shroud condition - the plastic closed up most of the way around where it was "punched" - I'm not sure what grade\type plastic it is but it is really tough stuff, highly flexible. I figured I would epoxy that from the inside with a gel epoxy made for plastics.
veryconfusing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryconfusing View Post
and found no other damage thanks to how loose the bolts were from the factory and the nice large foam gasket it rides on.
Finally I understand why Jayco sells so many new trailers with loose AC bolts... it's a damage prevention measure!
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote