Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #1

Smile purchasing a 2011 23 fb better aerodynamics

:hihi: we are moving up from a 2008 20bh g2 to a 2011 23fb g2. our dealer is saying with the new front end on the trailers people are picking up about 1 mpg.has anyone heard or experienced this? also any ideas on the electric stabilizing jacks available now? are they worth the money? i tow our 20 bh with a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with a 318 and 5 speed,3.55 rear and average right at 10mpg. will be ordering the new one this weekend.

max
max2bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Max2Bob! That's a cute tt. If we didn't take our grandkids camping occasionally, we might've considered that floorplan. We get 9mpg towing our 29'. That's great that Jayco is designing for aerodynamics also now. Someone else was enquiring about the new electric stablizers for the tt's, but I don't think any experiences with them have been posted as of yet
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #3

Smile

thank you. this will be my 3rd jayco. first one i will order though. this is built in idaho which is right next door to me. jayco has added more options for this year including the bigger fridge and the aluminum rims i believe. the extra insulation of the foil pack will be nice also. just not decided on the stabilizer jacks yet.

max
Old 02-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2bob View Post
thank you. this will be my 3rd jayco. first one i will order though. this is built in idaho which is right next door to me. jayco has added more options for this year including the bigger fridge and the aluminum rims i believe. the extra insulation of the foil pack will be nice also. just not decided on the stabilizer jacks yet.

max
Since I ordered my 31RKS with electric stabilizers, (it's not here yet), there have been two owners of them post about them in other threads. They seem to like them.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #5

Try looking at this thread.... hope it helps -->click<---
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #6

Quote:

max
The stabilizers need to operate independently and not all off of one switch. Unless you park the trailer on level surface. the jacks won't all hit the ground at the same time and you'll have to figure out what thickness of pads to use under them. Soulds like a real PITA. The manual ones work fine for me and DW and she'e the one who usually sets them.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The stabilizers need to operate independently and not all off of one switch. Unless you park the trailer on level surface. the jacks won't all hit the ground at the same time and you'll have to figure out what thickness of pads to use under them. Soulds like a real PITA. The manual ones work fine for me and DW and she'e the one who usually sets them.
According to those that own them them, that isn't so. Even though there is one button for the front and one for the rear, they equalize side to side when they lower, they say. Although my Jayco was ordered with them, it isn't here yet, so I can't tell you first hand. i should be able to in a few weeks though!

Tom
Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #8

thank you for everyones input so far, i appreciate it. i will let everyone know what i decide when i order the trailer on saturday.

max
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #9

Thanks Max. Please let us know how the electric stab's work with the smaller tt's.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum. If you are trading just to get one more mile per gallon it will take a lot of traveling to break even.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #11

i like that way of thinking of having to travel more to pay for the new trailer. right now the possible mpg increase is wishful thinking, we are actually trading to get the queen bed up front. the 20 bh has a double in back and since i am rather tall i dont fit as well as i could. otherwise it is basically the same trailer. our rv dealer has repeated several times that several of his rv haulers have noted the increased mpg with that new nose.
for me,i think it will be harder to tell because i am increasing my weight by over 600 pounds but i do know i am always right at 10.1 to 10.2. excluding a head wind of course than all bets are off. so if it were to go up it would be the nose of the new trailer.

max:hihi:
Old 02-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #12

Smile

we ordered the trailer yesterday, did not get the electric stabilizing jacks. as a few others pointed out on here, due to the electric motors they will not excert a lot of pressure on the ground so the consensus was the manual jacks would result in a better stabilized rig. that and the fact that the jacks usually are the low point and would be the first thing to get ripped off on say dragging the back of the trailer .the replacement price is pretty high on those.
we did order the 8 cu ft fridge and the electric tongue jack and the rims and all the rest including the insulation package. and we are getting the fantastic fan in the bedroom and 2 6 volt golf cart batteries for the solar.
thank you for everyones help it helped us with our decision.
max
Old 02-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #13

Quote:
we ordered the trailer yesterday, did not get the electric stabilizing jacks. as a few others pointed out on here, due to the electric motors they will not excert a lot of pressure on the ground so the consensus was the manual jacks would result in a better stabilized rig. that and the fact that the jacks usually are the low point and would be the first thing to get ripped off on say dragging the back of the trailer .the replacement price is pretty high on those.
max
<snip> Why would the electric jacks get ripped off any quicker than manual ones? Do they sit lower? From the pix I've seen, they actually sit higher.
Congrats on your new rig, though. Enjoy.

Tom
Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #14

We carry insurance that will take care of jacks that are damaged. The deductable will be the same wether they are manual or electric.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #15

We picked up our 23' G2 FB last October and are thrilled. We had some odd warranty issues that were fixed immediately
  • Wrong cutting board, was for another model
  • dining table would let the window treatment close, wrong table
  • top of couch torn, apparently an oops, whole thing was replaced

We tow with a 2008 Chrysler Aspen, 5,8L Hemi, etc, etc. Also have a 800# WDH with a sway bar. On flat ground (Nebraska) 4 cylinders actually drop out (MDS feature on the Hemi) and I get about 13-14. Here in Colorado where I seems to always be going up and down hill, with tow/haul mode I have not gotten below 10. Non-towing average is about 16.

Bottom line, we are quite happy.

Enjoy yours.

Oh yes, an 18V cordless 3/8" drill from Harbor Freight does a great job with the manual stabilizers and using the correct (trial and error) ratchet setting the drill disengages at just the right load on the stabilizers. I keep it charged using a 110v outlet I added to the front storage area.

Regards,
Jim
obrienj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #16

Keep your $$$ in your pocket ... use your electric drill to raise and lower your legs.... works better and if it breaks you can still operate your legs...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #17

The manual crank that came with the trailer works fine. When I get to the point that I can't manually lower 4 jacks, then it's time to find a less strenous form of recreation. I also use a manual tongue jack, GOD FORBID!!! It's not like you have to do it several times a day. I expend more energy on a hike with my camera backpack than I do messing with jacks.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The manual crank that came with the trailer works fine. When I get to the point that I can't manually lower 4 jacks, then it's time to find a less strenous form of recreation. I also use a manual tongue jack, GOD FORBID!!! It's not like you have to do it several times a day. I expend more energy on a hike with my camera backpack than I do messing with jacks.
Some of us have medical reasons for electric everything, and without those electric jacks and stabilizers, we simply can't camp. While it's nice to be young or sturdily built, everyone isn't.

Tom
Old 07-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #19

Quote:
:hihi: we are moving up from a 2008 20bh g2 to a 2011 23fb g2. our dealer is saying with the new front end on the trailers people are picking up about 1 mpg.has anyone heard or experienced this? also any ideas on the electric stabilizing jacks available now? are they worth the money? i tow our 20 bh with a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with a 318 and 5 speed,3.55 rear and average right at 10mpg. will be ordering the new one this weekend.

max
Max2Bob, how do you like your 23FB Featherlite G2? I bought one last month and have had it out once. I love the RV camping! We are in AZ and the camping in the summer is HOT. But the TT is a dream and can't wait for Sept when we take her out again!!
Kathie

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #20

we really like it. the insulation package is very nice. i am rather tall so the bed up front fits me a lot better. we got the 8 cubic foot fridge which is very nice also. we had the dealer install a fantastic fan in the bedroom and that helps keep the interior temps down a bit while dry camping.i installed 3 solar panels and along with the 6 volt batteries we can dry camp for long periods of time.
i traded my truck before i could compare the before and after mileage so i will never know if the new nose on the 2011 s helped at all.it seems to tow very well without any sway contol.
we will be going to glacier for a few weeks very shortly and will have a good test of the trailer then. it just snowed up there yesterday so will be a bit cooler than you guys.

max