Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
I recently became concerned with this same issue. I added a vertical section of 1/2" MDF, in line with the rear walls of the front storage area. This gave me a center support for the bed, and also separated the under bed storage from the front storage compartment. It also may slow someone down trying to get into your trailer by coming in through a front storage door. The foot of the bed sits over the vertical area making up the under bed storage, so it seems well supported. I'm considering adding a few vertical 2x4's to support the head of the bed, however so far it seems sturdy. Despite their **INCREDIBLE** (Cough Cough) quality control, one of the support twigs has an eye in it, and was split almost its entire length. I added a 2x4 next to it to beef it up.

2016 Jayflight 28BHBE Fiberglass/Elite
2014 F-150 4x4 Supercrew, Eco-Boost, Max Tow
pman1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #12
To all JOF members that responded,

Thank you all for your input. I have my queen bed fixed by using a combination of fixes that this group has shared. I'd like to share what I did and maybe help someone in the future from what I learned.

1) Replaced the 2 - 12 inch piano hinges (poor quality) with one 48 inch piano hinge. NOTE: Disconnect the gas supports FIRST - makes it much easier to work with the plywood and hinge. Then reconnect the gas supports after the new hinge is installed.

2) Built a center support from 2x4s in the middle of the bed and added foam board insulation on the storage side of the support structure.. This is well documented with pictures on website. Note: this was the easiest part.

3) Added 1/4 in plywood layer (2 sheets running head to foot on the bed) on top of the existing 3/8 plywood. Screwed with small 1/2 in screws to the 3/8 in plywood bed. Then used a few larger screws to to connect the 1/4 in plywood down into the existing 3 support strips. I thought about gluing the sheets - but decided not to mess with the glue.

I weigh 325 lbs and my wife is 225 - and we feel VERY supported! Also added a 4 in tempurpedic topper to the bed.

One response said that their 2011 trailer includes the center support structure. My opinion is that this should be included in the standard configuration of a queen bed and maybe with 1/2 in plywood - as a minimum.

Yes - I probably added 100+ pounds to the weight of the trailer. But there is just the 2 of us and our 2 small dogs. Adding the weight was worth it if it means we can sleep comfortably - which is the primary reason for getting the trailer.

I wish that Jayco would not skimp on the construction of their beds. I know they are trying to save $$ and keep their trailer weight down. But the primary reason people buy a trailer is so that they can sleep more comfortably.

We take her out on her maiden voyage in a couple of weeks. I will let the group know how it goes (and how she sleeps).

colodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
Can you post some pictures of your fix?

John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-8 / Little John-5 / Iva-1+
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4, CC LB PSD, DRW
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote

queen bed rebuild support