Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

Question about City Water hookup

Hey Everyone,

Quick question for anyone who might know... I cannot find the exact answer I'm looking for in my manual.

When I hook up to city water via the city connection on the side of the trailer, does that system have access to the fresh water tank? I mean, will it fill the fresh water tank as well as provide water to the rest of the system? On my previous Rockwood, I had a valve I could turn to isolate the fresh water tank from the rest of the system so I knew nothing was going in.... but with this enclosed underbelly business, I can't tell and don't know for sure where the city water is going.

Hope I explained my question well enough to understand.

Thanks for any insights.

James
Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #2

Hey DSN,
I think it depends. You don't say which TT you have. On our 1st (X23B) there was a separate fill for the fresh tank, so for that one the answer is "no". Our new one (351 RLTS) only has a city water connect. I can fill the tank by clever settings of the system control valves. There isn't a "gravity fill" it seems.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

On our trailer we have a city water fill and a Fresh water fill. When we hook up to city water it will ----NOT---- fill the fresh water tank, but it will fill the hot water heater and all the water lines.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #4

City water and fresh water are isolated in your TT via a backflow check valve in front of (or part of) the water pump.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #5

Thank you for the replies!

The 294BHS had a "fresh water fill" on the outside as well as a "city water" hookup. So I guess, from what you all have said, that the fresh water tank is isolated from the city water hookup.

This helps me greatly. Thank you all again!

James
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #6

Smile

Take a look on the opposite side of your camper for the gravity feed opening for the FW tank. That's where our is. But be sure to sanitize it before using it, though. Enjoy the new rig.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #7

City Water and Fresh Water Tank

We have a 2012 White Hawk and when we first started RVing with a TT we were in a campground one time. We were hooked up to City Water and at some point one of us also turned on the Fresh Water pump inside the trailer at the same time. We left for the day site seeing and upon our return I heard water running under the trailer. Looked and noted a clear over flow tube and water was flowing out of the spout. We turned off the City Water and the water kept coming out. Found that the inside water pump was on and turned this off. Water stopped, and when I checked the Fresh Water panel in the TT it showed full. Normally we keep 5-8 gallons in it for stopping along the road traveling for toilet and washing hands. Spoke to some in the campground and they felt that the Back Flow valve got stuck in the OPEN position and was filled up by the City Water. They then showed me the Fresh Water drain and we dumped the water. Did not want to pull with that weight. So I guess I'm saying watch that back flow valve.
rdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
The 294BHS had a "fresh water fill" on the outside as well as a "city water" hookup. So I guess, from what you all have said, that the fresh water tank is isolated from the city water hookup.
No need to guess. Both water systems are isolated. However, you can confirm by hooking up to city water and then open the drain valve on your fresh water holding tank (assuming that it is empty). If no water is drained from the tank, you will have your answer.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #9

You can also hook up your city water and wait for it to pressurize the rig. It should fill the water heater and some of the water lines and then stop. Maybe a minute or less of flow. If it continues for some time, the water is going somewhere (maybe in the FW tank?). If the city water is filling the tank, it will flow for a long time depending on the size of your tank.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #10

Thank you all!

I will do the "turn on city water and open fresh water drain valve" routine and see if anything comes out.

James