Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #1

Question about "thermal" underbelly

In September we picked up our new 24FBS that had just been built. I pointed out to the dealer that it looked like they had never finished the "thermal" underbelly...since several flaps on both sides were hanging down in the front and left open. Now the dealer is going to "fix" it next week. They want to remove the whole piece of plastic sheeting and put a whole new one on. Does anyone know what is under that? We question if they pull it down, will they pull other things down that we wish they hadn't. We wish we could be there to watch but we have to leave the trailer since it is 2 hours away from us. We were wondering why they don't just "finish" it. Does anyone have any experience or insight into this?
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

Not much under that plastic. A piece of insulation under each tank, and that's it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #3

It is strange that they wouldn't just tack the hanging parts up.
There shouldn't be any problem with taking it off though. Nothing critical on the cover itself. Even without the alleged thermal benefits (which I believe are very minor) the underbelly helps cover things like wires, hoses, piping, etc. and keeps them from being exposed to wear and tear from gravel roads, mud, water, etc.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #4

It's the thermal then a black film a moisture barrier that is glued to the wood or sandwich flooring.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #5

Yes, should have the underbelly that you can see from under the TT and the bottom of the actual flooring should have a black moisture barrier as Touch N Go stated glued to it (at least mine does)
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #6

As per Jayco website, the thermal package includes a Insulated, Heated, & Enclosed Underbelly. So there should be some sort of insulation and ducting for the heat, as well as the corrugated plastic to enclose it all..
However, speaking from experience, sometimes these options are missed from the factory.. My trailer with the thermal packaging didn't have the heat ducts installed to the underbelly... My local dealer installed it all under warranty after the fact. My point being, you may not have got everything you paid for. Ask your dealer doing repairs to take pictures for you confirming that the underbelly is infact heated and insulated before they re-install the corrugated plastic.. If you plan on doing any winter camping, this option is needed to prevent your tanks from freezing..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #7

Please post how this turns out after the dealer takes care of it. The underbelly on ours isn't completely sealed either and we haven't mad rout appointment to have it fixed yet.
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:34 AM   #8

I'll add my complaint about the underbelly. The mounting screws are spaced maybe 3-4 feet apart which allows the underbelly to droop up to 1/2" between the screws.

If that weren't bad enough, apparently they see no need to seal the huge holes for pipes and wires through the floor when the TT has the underbelly. I'm talking 6" holes for 1/2" pipes under the shower, bath sink, kit sink and water heater. Needless to say, I sealed them myself.

Being plastic, I'm sure the underbelly expands and contracts with temperature changes. Can't do much about that, but mice can easily squeeze through the 1/2" droops. I sealed mine with black duct tape, so I can at least see if something has been chewing on it.
moallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:12 AM   #9

Interesting about the holes not being sealed around the pipes. All mine have foam insulation sprayed in that expands and fills all the holes. Mine must have been finished on Monday morning and not Friday afternoon! LOL

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote