Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #1

Question Question on double fresh water tanks.

I know the Jay Flights with the Elite Package come with 2 38 gal fresh water tanks.

How do they work? Does each have it's on water fill?

Are they connected in some way and will flow from one to the other?

When fresh water is used, is one tank emptied first, and then the second?

Or is water taken from both tanks at one time.

If I were going out just for the weekend and only needed one fresh water tank, could I fill only one and just use it?

Thanks
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #2

They are connected by a hose or hoses if im not mistaken. My folks just bought a 29RKS and it has the elite package with 2 tanks. It does take a bit longer to fill due to the size. Their camper only has 1 fill for both tanks, but each tank does have its own drain. Maybe you could mod it to use only one tank, but im really not sure.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
Site Team

I have been told that they are connected by a hose in the bottom of the tank. They equalize when you fill the one. The gauge only indicates one tank cause they are the same level.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have been told that they are connected by a hose in the bottom of the tank. They equalize when you fill the one. The gauge only indicates one tank cause they are the same level.

I have the double tanks. One fill, one gauge, two overflows, two drains. They work as one.
tmielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

I also have two tanks. I suspect the fill hose few into one tank. As such, you have to fill and then let sit a few minutes to equalize. Then, you can get a few more gallons in if that is important. Or, fill more slowly. One fill one gauge. Cannot separate.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #6

You may cease the speculation.

The two tanks act as one. There is a 1/2 inch hose connecting the two tanks. There is one fill port and two overflow tubes and two drain valves.

And they can be slow to equalize when filling.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. Would have been better if there 2 fills, but what do I know.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Thanks for the replies. Would have been better if there 2 fills, but what do I know.
I prefer it the way it is myself.. but a nice option might be to be able to select tanks, kind of like how the propane system works. Then we'd need multiple gauges for the 2 water tanks though. All I know is my grey tank is FULL way before I'm out of water. Still working on managing that a little better. And speaking of the propane situation, there has to be a semi accurate method of determining what is left in those without spending a half hour on it... constant research since I bought mine.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
... And speaking of the propane situation, there has to be a semi accurate method of determining what is left in those without spending a half hour on it... constant research since I bought mine.
The best way to manage your propane is to have an automatic changeover regulator. When one tank is empty it automatically switches to the full tank.

Check the indicator at the end of each camping trip. Refill the empty bottle when needed. Never run out of propane.

Never have to get up in the middle of the night to switch bottles.

I have read where some people who have the automatic changeover regulator but only the valve of the tank they are using is on. The other one is off. This defeats the purpose of the changeover. You need to leave BOTH valves open.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #10

Well, if you only want to use one tank, fill the two tanks only half way full.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
The best way to manage your propane is to have an automatic changeover regulator. When one tank is empty it automatically switches to the full tank.

Check the indicator at the end of each camping trip. Refill the empty bottle when needed. Never run out of propane.

Never have to get up in the middle of the night to switch bottles.

I have read where some people who have the automatic changeover regulator but only the valve of the tank they are using is on. The other one is off. This defeats the purpose of the changeover. You need to leave BOTH valves open.
I believe mine is a manual switch, left, right or both. My dealer recommended that I leave it on just 1 tank until it runs empty so I'm never surprised if/when both run dry at 2am. I see the logic there.. just need a gauge or something on both tanks so I can keep a better eye on the levels. It's nice to 'inventory' everything once a day or so.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I believe mine is a manual switch, left, right or both. My dealer recommended that I leave it on just 1 tank until it runs empty so I'm never surprised if/when both run dry at 2am. I see the logic there.. just need a gauge or something on both tanks so I can keep a better eye on the levels. It's nice to 'inventory' everything once a day or so.
Replacing the regulator is not expensive. It eliminates the need (and the aggravation) to monitor the levels closely. Those gauges you see attached inline only show you the tank is almost empty. It is really a pressure gauge and does not reflect how much is actually in the tank.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #13

As for the water tanks, I did a writeup with pictures on how my tanks are plumbed here:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tly-29665.html

As for the propane tanks, the auto-changeover is the only way to go. Just don't get surprised with an empty tank like I did. I don't know how long the "primary" tank has been empty, but I just noticed it last time we had the trailer home. I dismounted the tanks (so I could take the empty one to be filled) and checked the level of the second tank, and it was pretty full, so it couldn't have been too long. But just keep an eye on that indicator so you know when your "primary" tank is empty.

Also, keep an eye on your propane pigtails. I've had to replace both of mine. One was actively leaking (replaced under warranty), and the other was either leaking or close. I didn't bother checking the second one for leaks, It didn't pass a visual inspection, so I just replaced it with an upgraded part (of course).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote