Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Questions for 330RLTS Owners

I have a few questions that, hopefully, some of you 330RLTS owners can answer:

1. Does the TT raise up any when lowering the electric stabilizer jacks? I'm just talking about two or three inches, not a foot or more.

2. Can the A/Cs keep the TT cool in 100 degree+ weather? If so (or not), do you have the dual pane windows?

3. Does the bed have to be raised up to be able to close the bedroom slide?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I have a few questions that, hopefully, some of you 330RLTS owners can answer:

1. Does the TT raise up any when lowering the electric stabilizer jacks? I'm just talking about two or three inches, not a foot or more. Not really tried that. I level the trailer, then drop the jacks to stabilize the trailer. The jacks do not really feel strong enough to lift the trailer 2 or 3 inches.

2. Can the A/Cs keep the TT cool in 100 degree+ weather? If so (or not), do you have the dual pane windows? Not been in that situation. Did not get the dual pane windows.

3. Does the bed have to be raised up to be able to close the bedroom slide? No. The bed slides right up to the dresser on the other side of the trailer.

Thanks.
I thought about getting the dual pane windows, but was more concerned about the weight, and if it was really worth the extra cost.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Team

I know a few who have them and really like them. I would not worry about the additional weight. I hear they add 500 to 800 lbs to most rigs.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

The electric jacks can just barely take up the slack. The clutch starts chattering when it reaches its limit. We bought extra jacks to reduce movement.

We were in Parker Az in Sept at 106* and the air conditioners did just fine. We do not have the dual pane glass.

The bed stays down. When we have to stop in a rest area for the night we just crawl onto the bed from the bathroom.

We would buy ours again with no hesitation. We would get the cargo tray, it is a LOT less money from the factory. The jury is still out on the slide toppers.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I know a few who have them and really like them. I would not worry about the additional weight. I hear they add 500 to 800 lbs to most rigs.
People on other forums are highly polarized about them; either they love them or they loathe them, the latter mostly because of problems with fogging. Most reports of seen of fogging have been on motorhomes that spend most of their time on the road.

Most estimates I've seen on other forums for added weight have been for around 150 lb. 500 to 800 lb is quite a bit. The next time I look at one, I'll have to make an estimate of the total square footage of glass and work out the weight from that.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfeather View Post
I thought about getting the dual pane windows, but was more concerned about the weight, and if it was really worth the extra cost.
Thanks for the info. It tells me quite a bit.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
The electric jacks can just barely take up the slack. The clutch starts chattering when it reaches its limit. We bought extra jacks to reduce movement.

We were in Parker Az in Sept at 106* and the air conditioners did just fine. We do not have the dual pane glass.

The bed stays down. When we have to stop in a rest area for the night we just crawl onto the bed from the bathroom.

We would buy ours again with no hesitation. We would get the cargo tray, it is a LOT less money from the factory. The jury is still out on the slide toppers.
Thanks for the info, Clutch, especially about the A/Cs and jacks. I suspected the jacks didn't take on much weight. Pity. I wonder if the scissors jacks would take on more (a portable drill, extension, and socket would electrify them in a hurry). I'm not actually looking to lift the TT with them but it would be nice if they would take some of the load off the frame since I plan on adding quite a bit of weight on the back wall(washer, dryer, and storage space) which is also why I wouldn't be interested in the cargo rack (that sucker has to weigh at least 100 lb).

I was planning to putting two 15k Coleman heat pumps on the TT if I get it (it's still the only one on my short list) since Coleman only makes 15k heat pumps. It's nice to know that the stock A/Cs can handle 106 degree heat, even without dual pane windows. I was concerned about the insulation being enough. It do get warm here.

As I recall, you didn't have slide toppers (then again, I'm old and senile). Does "The jury is still out on the slide toppers.." mean you now have them? Like dual pane windows, slide toppers are another barrier between the sun and the interior of the TT. Also like dual pane windows, people either love them or hate them. Pretty much everyone agrees they help keep off the sun, snow (not that I'll ever have to worry about that!), trash, etc. but many complain about wind flapping (there are ways to deal with that).

Good to know the bed stays down. I was worried about bouncing.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #8

Jeannie, we havn't bought any toppers yet. If I do decide to get them I will most likely get two from my brother in law. He really didn't like em.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I did some checking and I have my figures mixed up. The additional wt of duel pane glass is in the 100 - 150 lb range. The additional cost is in the $1000. range or a little more. They are touted by those that have them helping with outside noise.

Personally, I would never consider them for my style of camping.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #10

After having to repair the stabilizer jacks on my 330 there is a small little woodruff pin on the shaft motor gear I would not put any extra pressure on the motor once you have your jacks down.It looks like a weak link.I would not trust jacks to lift up trailer.

I'm happy with my awning toppers other than having the sag in when it rains I just wish you could take up some of the slack in material to have water run off better than pooling up,or having to prop up something under them.
novaplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
I did some checking and I have my figures mixed up. The additional wt of duel pane glass is in the 100 - 150 lb range. The additional cost is in the $1000. range or a little more. They are touted by those that have them helping with outside noise.

Personally, I would never consider them for my style of camping.
Thanks for that update. I could certainly deal with only 100-150 lb.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaplum View Post
After having to repair the stabilizer jacks on my 330 there is a small little woodruff pin on the shaft motor gear I would not put any extra pressure on the motor once you have your jacks down.It looks like a weak link.I would not trust jacks to lift up trailer...
That is good to know. I don't actually want to lift the trailer for the sake of lifting it. But lifting it an inch or so would let me know the stabs are taking the full weight of that end instead of only part of it. Oh well, there are aftermarket electric stabs that might do the job although they cost and arm and a leg or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaplum View Post
...I'm happy with my awning toppers other than having the sag in when it rains I just wish you could take up some of the slack in material to have water run off better than pooling up,or having to prop up something under them.
I've heard of people using everything from PVC stands to beachballs (someone even makes an inflatable wedge shaped pillow for the job) to keep slide toppers from pooling water. I saw a video once (and I'm still kicking myself for not bookmarking it) where someone stacked sheets of rigid foam insulation under the toppers to keep them from pooling and flapping. One bonus would be additional insulation on top of the poorly insulated slide roof (only R7 foil; I've yet to see a slide on any RV that had decent insulation on top or bottom). I've thought of doing a variation of the foam sheets. If the space was completely filled with hollow foam boxes that fit the contours of the roof and topper, they would support the topper, insulate the roof, weigh less, cost less to make, and keep critters like bird, wasps, and small bears from building nests under the topper (only the gable ends would have to seal up precisely). They would be relatively easy to shove into place when setting up and push or pull out when tearing down. Finding a place for them when on the road might be a bit challenging.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #13

On my old trailer I had single pane windows. I had solar screens made that snapped on all 4 corners & cover the entire window. They blocked out 85% of the uv.They also helped kept the trailer cool in the summer & warmer in the winter.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #14

We have the 330rlts and our slide toppers were factory installed. The air does a good job, but if you need supercool you may want the second air conditioner. We added a new mattress( ours was upgraded mattress and the bigger air conditioner ).
Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #15

Our 28.5 RLS has dual pane windows. We have one 15k A/C. If our trailer is in the shade at 100 degrees, the inside will be cool; in full sun, it is cooler than outside but not as cool as normal.

The dual panes help on insulation, noise, and condensation and I'm glad we ordered them.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #16

Considering where I live, two heat pumps and dual pane windows are a must.

Rather than solar screens like bounder suggested (good idea, btw!), I've strongly considered putting conventional RV window awnings on all the windows except the ones on the sides of the slides.

The jury is still out on slide toppers (looking for an easier or more durable alternative) but if I were to order right this instant, I would get them. Alternatives I've considered include:

A solid, insulated awning hinged to the side of the TT that could be folded down when the slides are in.

A regular awning that would cover half or all of each side of the TT and would extend over the slides. The advantage of that would be I could pull the awnings in if the wind got up without having to pull in the slides. Access for work on the roof (sealing , etc.) would be easier since all I would need to do is pull in the awning instead of removing an entire slide topper. Swim noodles on the top edges of the slides would protect the awning fabric.