Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2014, 04:19 AM   #1
Questions on using spray foam around--

Those holes on the inside around the fresh water supply input, fresh water tank, etc. Looking under the sink the other day on our new 22FB I noticed that there is probably a 3" diameter hold drilled in the inside with these input pipes only being only about an inch or so. The white plastic caps/cover these on the outside, of course fit the fixtures, but was wondering if anyone put spray insulation around them on the inside to cut down on the draft of cold air around them?

J & J
2012 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 3.42 Ratio, HD trailer Pkg
R2 Hitch & sway control
2014 Jayco 22FB
Fishnmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
I have the same thing under our lav in the bathroom on our Whawk. Haven't done anything yet, but plan on stuffing the gaps with standard fiberglass insulating material instead of the spray foam. That way I could pull it out if I needed access or to check on a leak or whatever. Once the spray stuff is installed, forget ever getting to that fill hose.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
I did that on my last unit and it helped tremendously. Have not done it to the new unit yet due to temps being freezing since I have had it.
One thing it cuts down is the potential for mold growth. You can get moisture build up in those pockets from the extreme temperature contrasts. Also keeps any unwanted critters out should they get in. I used a can of great stuff.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
I had some 4"ish sized holes in the floor of our previous camper where electrical wiring ran in & out. I had a few mice that got in and that was the only possible place I could find where they could gain access. I did the spray foam and no more mice problems.
FAA A&P mechanic, ex-RV dealer parts dept
Retired B-52 Gunner/Flight Examiner, B-52 Crew Chief

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
I do not recommend spray foam. Most of the can foams will absorb water. What I did was take steel wool, packed it in the hole, and then took some marine grade caulking to seal it up. This way I can take it apart if I ever need to, and the mice cannot chew through the steel wool. I did this to both sides of the hole if I could reach it.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
I certainly did some major sealing on my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer. My trailer does not have the underbelly membrane installed allowing me to inspect all of the holes that were drilled through the trailer floor for wiring or pipes etc. It is amazing how many holes drilled through the floor. I crawled under the trailer at night with the lights on inside the trailer and there were many areas I could see the light shinning thru.

I used weather seal products to seal all of these areas up.

I also opened up all of the cabinets along the outside walls and found much of the same thing there. Sealed all of those as well... I used the expanding weather seal foam which is easy to get into the smallest places...

Like said above I suppose mice could chew through these areas. My goal was mainly to stop up the pneumonia holes...

I found a hug air gap between the tent trailer pull out tent bed floor and where it seals up against the trailer end walls when pulled out. The manufacture has a single weather strip seal which did not seal much.

The fix for me was to use this type of weather seal strip that was cut to fit and this really provided a great seal from the outside elements and bugs. This was a hugh improvement for stopping up the large opening on both tent bed ends. The seal is permanently mouted to the top of end walls where the floor slides over the top of them.

I also use those 2X2 foam sections that used with home air conditioner window seals around the tent bed floor area where the fabric wraps under the floor and attached to stretch rope tie offs. I had alot of small air gaps around the floor area. this also helped out big time sealing off the elements.

Another air hole was found where the pull out shore power cable hole is located. I use a piece of foam around the cable to seal it off when I slide down the cable hole plastic cover. This also provides alittle protection form the mice and ants that like to run run the extended shore power cable laying on the ground. This is a good place to spray for ants. Must be a multi-lane highway for the ANTS haha...

Just some of my work sealing up the pneumonia holes in my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer...

Roy Ken
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
Look for Pond and Stone foam it is water proof, does not over-expand and is basically what the factory uses.

PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
Thanks to everyone for the replies.
Grumpy, I go by Grampy to our eight Grandchildren but they use the term Grumpy to me, when they don't agree with me.

J & J
2012 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 3.42 Ratio, HD trailer Pkg
R2 Hitch & sway control
2014 Jayco 22FB
Fishnmagician is offline   Reply With Quote