Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #1

Questions - Towing 2013 Eagle298RLDS

Howdy. This is 1st post & need advice/experience of others.
We have ordered a new 2013 Eagle 298RLDS... love the plan and "look & feel" of this TT.
The Eagle will be manufactured next month & we should take delivery late February.

Q: Any other owners of this TT had any particular problems with cooling system, wheels, equipment, furnishings, exterior walls, plumbing, etc.? Any items or trouble areas we need to watch for in this TT?

Q: We plan to tow the Eagle with a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost.
Are there any others on the forum that have this TT and use this tow vehicle?
What has been your experience...good or bad?

Q: What is the recommended "best" hitch for this combination of TT & TV?
We don't plan on any "off road" travel.

Thanks in advance for all comments & advice.

2013 Eagle 266RKS
2014 Ford F-150 w/3.5L EcoBoost & HD Tow Package

"There's no right way... to do something wrong"
txpate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Bobbydeb
Hello Txpate , I own a 2013 298RLDS Eagle with front and rear A/C and 50 amp service,my trailer,has a yellow sticker saying it weighs 7886 lbs.With everything in it,food, dishes, utensils ,clothing,bed linens, blankets and a small assortment of tools,camping supplies i'm sure i have 750 to 1000lbs extra weight in it...I had a 2012 F150 Lariat screw 2wheel drive with the eco-boost and 3:55 rear axle with factory brake control and tow pkg. ....As far as power, no doupt the eco-boost would do the job,it's an amazing power plant!!! but with the 1300 lbs plus tongue wt that would put me close to the top of my GVWR..... I know there are lots of folks that pull that trailer with the F150, I'm sure it would be no problem towing in the flat lands but may be slow in the big mountains,I would recommend the 1400 lb hitch. Just before my trailer came in I traded for new Ram HD2500 CTD Crew Cab 4x4..... Let us know how it tows.... you can pm me anytime...Happy Camping !!!!! Bobby
Bobbydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbydeb View Post
snip........ I own a 2013 298RLDS Eagle with front and rear A/C and 50 amp service,my trailer,has a yellow sticker saying it weighs 7886 lbs......snip
Wow, with a Ship Weight of 7,886lbs (yellow sticker) and a Jayco published UVW of 7,210lbs.., thats an additional 676lbs! The past few years I've run across a 250lb to 450lb Ship Weight delta, but 676lbs is the highest that I've seen for a TT.

Good information to know, especially when the RV sales person is referencing UVW and DRY weights!

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Walter,

Just some food for thought........,

I would confirm which "Tow Package" (Max Tow, HD, etc..) that you have with your F-150. Once you confirm the published Tow Rating of your TV, please note that the actual Tow Rating will be less. FYI: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

The Eagle 298RLDS can be a heavy TT depending on your loading habits, so your TV's Payload Capacity will be another important weight specification to know. The sum total weights of your TV's passengers, cargo, and the "loaded" weight of the TT's tongue can't exceed the specified payload capacity. Figure the TT's loaded tongue weight should be 13% to 15% of the TT's loaded weight.

Recommended WDH....., As member 'Bobbydeb' mentioned, the 298RLDS can have a heavy loaded tongue weight so it's important to confirm that your TV's OEM receiver's specified WD mode weight limit is up to the task. I also agree that the WDH selected should have at least a 1,400lb weight rating to address the potential loaded tongue weight. IMO a Reese Strait-Line brand WDH (1,500lb rating) or a Equal-i-zer brand WDH (1,400lb rating) would be a good choice because each brand has integrated sway control. Also confirm the TV's receiver pin box size (2" or 2 1/2").

Once you have your TV/TT loaded for camping I highly recommend a visit to your local CAT Scale to confirm that are your weights are with their respective limits, and the CAT scale will also confirm that your WDH is adjusted properly. Keep in mind when you depart the RV dealership with your new TT it's under "unloaded" conditions, the WDH will have to be re-adjusted once you have it under "loaded" ready-to-camp conditions. Scale how to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Hope this helps a little

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #5

Bobbydeb & Rustic Eagle... Thanks to you both & only in a huge way!
I'll review my hitch options & make sure to purchase the 1,400lb weight rating as a minimum.
And, I'll make sure to take the effort to check it out at the CAT scales.
Thanks again... I may ask you guys another question as we continue with this rig.

2013 Eagle 266RKS
2014 Ford F-150 w/3.5L EcoBoost & HD Tow Package

"There's no right way... to do something wrong"
txpate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

I completely agree with Bob's assessment. I could be wrong about this, but I don't believe there is a 1/2 ton pick-up manufactured in the world today that can safely handle a 1300# tongue weight even with WDH. Look at the sticker on your TV hitch and it will tell you how much tongue weight you can handle. Your F-150 can easily tow the trailer, it's a steering issue when you have too much squat on the rear end.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #7

Walter.....I have the same trailer as you. 298RLDS. Great choice. We had our trailer towed to a permanent site by the dealer. On occasion I think about buying a Toyota Tundra 1/2 Ton....I think it's the 5.7 version. Now, we needed to move our trailer to another site in the park at the end of the last season. The fellow that towed it for us has that large Tundra well equipped for towing. When he lowered the trailer down onto the hitch.....all of us watching stood there in awe at the amount of squat on the rear end of the Tundra. I new right then that I'd need more truck than that to tow that trailer down the highway. You're getting a great TT..... be careful out there.

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote